You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Initial thoughts on German CVs (Rhein).

7 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles

This new-to-the-game Tier 4 German CV has:

1) Rocket fighters firing AP rockets - no fires.

2) Torpedo bombers which drop two at a time, just like Langley and Hosho (pairs for Hermes when, WG?).

3) Dive bombers that attack in pairs, dropping a single bomb each.

4) A hull upgrade, but no airplane upgrades.

5) Sexy AF black event permacamo with red stripes.

First thoughts (tagging @Gneisenau013 as he is involved in the test programme, and to give poor old Hapa a bit of a break). 

I played a couple of co-op battles and then three Randoms, just enough to get the 1500 base XP required to pick up the permacamo, and then it was time to go to bed. The first two Randoms had double CV and included bots; in both cases, the other CV was a Hosho. This was truly surprising; I expected every carrier to be a Rhein last night. The one battle that had exclusively human players had one Rhein each side.

ROCKETS: the reticle is awful. It slides out beyond the target ship, turns yellow and then comes back again before turning green. This is offputting and made worse by the fact that it is EXTRAORDINARILY DIFFICULT to pick out against the reflections from the sea surface. It desperately needs to have its contrast increased; perhaps a deeper yellow-orange colour would be good. The green is also very pale. These problems are accentuated (or possibly even caused) by the fact that the run-in to attack seems to be made very low to the water. Because of the difficulties I had aiming, I consider it improper to render a report on the rockets' effectiveness; I simply couldn't get enough of them on target reliably. About the only thing I can say is that getting just a couple on target out of the full salvo is likely to lead to severe disappointment.

TORPEDOES: These are slow as you-know-what, but on the other hand the minimum firing distance is so short to compensate that I had no trouble striking battleships reliably with both torps, cruisers reliably with at least one, and destroyers when I got really lucky (I even managed to sink one). They are terribly anaemic on target, and could do with mild buffs to their damage, their flood chance or both. This is especially the case when facing Tier 5.

BOMBS: These are very interesting indeed. The reticle is positioned way, way back - so far back that unlike the other bombers, you can't even see it in cruising flight. You practically have to direct your vision straight down to even know where it is, and that caused me to fluff the run up a few times. It could be moved forward, perhaps one or two times its own length, because as things are it can be difficult to keep both target and reticle in view. However, once the drop was actually triggered, I found it relatively easy to put the bombs on target. Curiously, although the reticle is oriented along the aircraft's flight path, the bombs seem to drop along an axis perpendicular to this. I paradoxically had more success striking from the broadside. Battleships are easy, hard-turning cruisers difficult and destroyers nigh-impossible to hit. In co-op I found it easy to farm citadel hits on battleships, but the damage done felt anaemic (as it does with Japanese bombers, actually; I never feel the citadels are actually doing much). One looks straight down on the bomb reticle, and the contrast against the sea is excellent.

ANTI-AIR: This felt strong enough. As a Tier 4 CV, Rhein cannot drop CAP fighters on demand from her attack and bombing squadrons, and is reduced to giving local defence by her own local CAP and AA guns. This is something I would like to see changed.

Amusingly, the Deutsche Luft civil registration on the top mainplane of some of the aircraft is D-OHEC - and going against T5 ships, "Oh heck" is something I very frequently felt like saying! 

It should be noted that no Luftwaffe bomber at war would ever have had a civil registration painted on it. The pre-war German aircraft you see carrying this in photos were mostly prototypes, in semi-civilian guise when the Germans were still playing at the pretence that they were mail-planes or passenger aircraft. On the other hand, the red band on the tail with the central white circle where the Swastika would normally be (if WG were allowed to display it in Germany) is very definitely a pre-war fully-military Luftwaffe thing, though it would soon vanish in the interests of reduced visibility. However, the whole package definitely lent the planes a strong feel of nascent Luftwaffe, and is in keeping with the feel of the era the planes were from. 

Summarizing:

GOOD: Torpedoes easy to use. Bombing is OK once you have both reticle and target in the same field of view. Planes are moderately survivable against own and lower tiers, do very badly against certain very strong AA cruisers at Tier 5 (e.g. fully buffed Hawkins, Exeter). 

BAD: Rocket attack path is very shallow, making the reticle difficult to see against the waves; rocket reticle behaviour is peculiar; bombing reticle is outside of the normal field of view and will require a very different set of muscle memory skills unless shifted forward one or two lengths; inability to start fires makes Rhein reliant on her torpedoes to set damage over time, and these are anaemic with inconsistent flood damage; bombs seem to drop along an axis perpendicular to their reticle, making broadside attacks potentially more rewarding.

OVERALL: A mixed experience for the first day, which will probably improve after a bit more familiarity. 6/10, potentially a 7.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,798 posts
14,326 battles

Thanks for the review, @Ensign_Cthulhu.  I've been curious and haven't had a crate drop one in to my port, yet.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Thanks for the review, @Ensign_Cthulhu.  I've been curious and haven't had a crate drop one in to my port, yet.

Don't worry. Just do as I did and put 11,000 XP on the V-170 in preparation for unlocking it when the next patch goes live. My Rhein mission dropped from a Twitch mission CV crate the very next day! :Smile_veryhappy:

[WPORT]
Members
9,798 posts
14,326 battles

My luck with crates containing ships hasn't been good lately.  Did well during Italian and British cruiser events, though.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't worry. Just do as I did and put 11,000 XP on the V-170 in preparation for unlocking it when the next patch goes live. My Rhein mission dropped from a Twitch mission CV crate the very next day! :Smile_veryhappy:

thanks for the review  @Ensign_Cthulhu .

This is my task on next patch. Go from Rhein to Richtofen.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles
5 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

This is my task on next patch. Go from Rhein to Richtofen.

Don't burn yourself out. It's going to be a long, long grind.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't burn yourself out. It's going to be a long, long grind.

I know!! 

I have all other 3 t10 CVs.

(and the CV i least enjoy is GZ)

(It is easier to burn myself with my work)

Edited by Felipe_1982