Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_Blackhawk0019

Matchmaking and Current Status of Game

6 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts

It is a well known by most of the World of Warships community that Wargaming’s +2/-2 matchmaking system is broken.  Every once in a while, I will load into a game where I am bottom tier, and someone on my team or the enemy team will complain about being bottom tier ship.  I understand that the matchmaking has seen some slight changes over the years.  For some reason, now more than ever, I am seeing more and more people complain about the matchmaking.  I want to address some issues the game has with the gameplay, ships, matchmaking and I might mention a few ideas that may help with the balance.  For the sake of any readers, here is a little about my info: I have <2000 games played, I main cruisers, and I have been playing intermittently for roughly 4 years. (IMPORTANT**) Skip to the bottom if you want to skip the ranting and see my proposed changes to the game.

“WG fix your matchmaking”

Matchmaking is fairly straight forward and is typically +2/-2 with a few exceptions if you are a carrier or new player.  Here is a reason why this mechanic will never change.  Wargaming wants your money.  Why do you think there are premium T6 and T8 ships in the game?  It’s certainly not because they’re balanced and make a great addition to the game.  Most premium ships are stronger than tech tree ships and offer a pay-to-win system for players that want an advantage in random battles.  Not to mention you can switch your commanders between that ship’s nation for free. I recognize that there is a niche of players that like seeing historically accurate ships and that some premiums aren’t good, but exist for certain player audiences.  I can agree with that.  But you cannot honestly say that all premium ships are balanced with the tech tree ships.  So, what does wargaming do with a premium when they sell you a premium ship?  Wargaming will give you a really good ship, but it’ll cost you $50 or $99 or maybe a month of your time grinding 12 hrs. a day to unlock it.  Want to know why your T6 battleship is playing in a T8 battle?  If the matchmaking was only a 0/+1 system there would be much less incentive for buying a ship with better stats to bring into battle.  Wargaming’s entire economy is based on bottom tier matchmaking and a niche of players that collect ships.  Think about it.  Being in a stock T6 ship and being placed in a T8 battle makes your return to port rather quick.  All this matchmaking mechanic does is make the game more time consuming by forcing you to wait and adds so much player discomfort that at times it makes the game unplayable.

Matchmaking, Karma system, Potatoes

No one likes to be pink or get reported.  But what is the Karma system?  It’s basically a number that you get based on your behavior in your random battles.  Did you solo carry your last game and get a compliment or did you cackle maniacally as you torpedoed your own teammates at the spawn because you’re playing a French DD against a team full of radar cruisers and you want to go back to port?  Although this system is not mentioned on the Wows wiki, I do believe it is a game mechanic from one of wargaming’s sister games.  Therefore, I cannot confirm that this is a factor that attributes to matchmaking in world of warships.  However, if the Karma system is functioning as it does for wargaming’s other games, it could be a contributing factor to the lackluster matchmaking system.  Have you been in 3-4 top tier games in a row followed by 3-4 bottom tier games in a row?  It could be this system.  It also doesn’t help that the 3-4 top tier games you have, you have 1-2 teammates that decide to defend a flank while there’s a 10-ship lemming train to cap C on the other side of the map.  Every game now seems to have players that either is incredibly unlucky or decide to intentionally potato into the enemy team.  It’s unfortunate that there are players like because not only are they hurting themselves, but they’re ruining the game for their entire team.  This indirectly makes the matchmaking more frustrating because once you’re finally in a top tier game, you’ll have a garbage player throw the game and ruin the experience.

“[edited] you sky cancer”

AA cruiser builds are basically no longer viable in the current patch.  Secondary batteries and improved AA ship upgrades do nothing to your ability to fight off aircraft, but rather add health and reduce your cooldown for reinforce sector.  On top of that, now you have German CVs that can citadel you and hit you with their torps; even though they have a “small” health pool, it doesn’t matter because they’ll be able to quickly get out of your flak with their speed.  I’ve heard of rumors that some clans opting out of next season’s clan battles because wargaming refuses to address balancing CVs. It seems the only way to effectively counter a halfway decent CV player is by playing an AA ship, and even then, their planes will still be able to out-trade you.  Since the CVs are still inherently strong, being a bottom tier ship with a top tier, or worse 2 top tier CVs in your game, is a living nightmare.  At that point, what is the purpose of playing the game if all you are going to do is dodge 2 waves of aircraft and long-range artillery for 20 minutes?

Moral of the Story**:

Basically, everything I’ve mentioned is well known and accepted by most of the player base.  If you’re hoping for Matchmaking to change anytime soon, it won’t.  The horrible matchmaking is the result of a company that exploits players into purchasing premium content using a broken system, have little regard for how players are placed into matches, are indifferent towards players that intentionally throw games and have little to no regard for their teammates, refuses to balance ships that have been overpowered for over a year, and making the game so time-consuming that new players will eventually just quit.  At the current rate, players will stop playing this game if it becomes too unenjoyable.  I believe these are all factors to an unhealthy player base. 

I like this game, but there comes a tipping point, and I feel that the tipping point is going to be reached in the upcoming ranked season if there aren't any changes made soon.  The last thing I want for this player base is to become so frustrated at the game, that everyone turns into [edited] like in League of Legends, and makes the game unplayable.

Where to go from here?

Here are my proposed changes**:

-        Change the matchmaking to 0/+1 tier games:  That way top tier and bottom tier ships are relatively equal.

-        Create a Ranked Random Battle mode for V+ Tiers: This would allow more serious players to play a more competitive game but wouldn’t offer steel or other lucrative rewards from the ranked battle season.  Normal Random Battles would allow more seasoned players to “seal club”.  Normal Ranked Battles remain unchanged from the current game.

-        Remove the Karma system and start banning teammates that intentionally suicide or afk their games:  Stop the “behavior” system and just start banning people for a few hours if they intentionally afk their matches or intentionally throw the game.

-        Balance CVs by buffing the improved AA upgrade on ships and reinforce sector, and nerfing CVs by giving them a finite number of planes they can carry: This is long needed, I’m sure this could be elaborated more on by more experienced players.

-        Make the player experience more enjoyable: Don’t give us new ship lines or submarines until the matchmaking and CVs are more balanced.  Players would appreciate bug fixes, overall balancing, and quality of life changes that would make the experience of playing world of warships much more enjoyable than it currently is.  A player shouldn’t have to feel the need to purchase premium items in order to feel relevant in the game.  A happy player will spend money on a game that is enjoyable to them.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 2

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles
8 minutes ago, Cpt_Blackhawk0019 said:

Balance CVs by buffing the improved AA upgrade on ships and reinforce sector, and nerfing CVs by giving them a finite number of planes they can carry: This is long needed, I’m sure this could be elaborated more on by more experienced players.

So Buff the AA, and finite the number of planes... How many planes do you suggest exactly? Something like this would make carriers near unplayable at Tier X for casual players. 

Also, if you give them a finite number, that means they can field full squadrons back to back to back VS the current system where you can only field 1 full flight and the next flight will be down a 1 or 2 planes.

Truth be told there are quite a few good suggestions out there right now being pushed by more experienced players.

Members
5 posts
10 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

So Buff the AA, and finite the number of planes... How many planes do you suggest exactly? Something like this would make carriers near unplayable at Tier X for casual players. 

Also, if you give them a finite number, that means they can field full squadrons back to back to back VS the current system where you can only field 1 full flight and the next flight will be down a 1 or 2 planes.

Truth be told there are quite a few good suggestions out there right now being pushed by more experienced players.

I'm not a CV player, so I wouldn't really know what is the best option.  I'm open to anything that can level the playing field.  It's just gotten to the point where wargaming is more interested in giving us new content instead of fixing the balancing issues.  I know I used CVs as an example, but there's also Russian bias and stealth radar mechanics that you can't counter.  I feel like players would appreciate it more if they just fixed all of the balancing issues in the next patch instead of giving us a new line.  That's just my opinion tho.

Members
5,364 posts

Oh, here we go again. OP claims to speak for the majority.  No, you don't.

I don't, either.  This 'majority' you speak of doesn't exist.

MM whine thread #88889099789

Edited by Kirov_Six
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Members
5 posts
12 minutes ago, Kirov_Six said:

Oh, here we go again. OP claims to speak for the majority.  No, you don't.

I don't, either.  This 'majority' you speak of doesn't exist.

MM whine thread #88889099789

lmbo you didn't even read it, I literally typed in bold matchmaking wasn't changing

Edited by Cpt_Blackhawk0019
spelling

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Before calling for changes, you first need to understand the game.
WG has done something very clever here, something that wasn't in the tank game.
In this game, you can play on tier 10 without a premium account and not lose money. That's big.
It eliminates the problem of being uptiered.
It also allows you to play the best ships in the game.
And if you play the newest ships, you can blast planes out of the sky, so CVs are not a big threat.

But you have to play the WeeGee way.
You may not like it, but it's their game, and their rules.
That means that you have to top the leaderboard. Even in a loss you won't lose money.
If you finish at the bottom, you're going to lose money.
The purpose is to incentivize the scrubs to stay on the lower tiers and not bother the quality players.
And the scrubs who refuse, are actually feeding the good players, so the good players can remain on tier 10.

As far as the newer ships having the better AA, that's standard MOBA. You need the current weapons to keep up.

Do I like it? No. But I get it. And I can sustain myself on tier 10.
One of the reasons for all the events is to get the tier 10 players to drop down to lower tiers
in order to play ships that are better suited to complete certain tasks, so it helps keep
the lower tiers populated.

It is what it is.

Sign in to follow this