You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cool_Coral_Reefr

ctrl+LMB on target = designating target?

23 comments in this topic

[R33FR]
Members
1 post
638 battles

if i ctrl+LMB on a boat that i have centered in my screen (not on the minimap) then a crosshair with a capital letter "A" within the crosshairs shows up over the boat. is this letting other players know to focus fire on that boat?  i'm trying to mimic when i see other players make three chevrons appear over a boat to show the team to focus fire on it.

thank you for your time in advance. googling for this would seem like a simple search but i'm surprised how hard it is to find. is this the same as designate target? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[O2]
Members
229 posts

It's letting your secondary guns fire on the target. Only relevant if you have selected the manual secondary fire as commander skill. Otherwise all secondary guns will fire at will.

• Meh 1

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
14 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

It's letting your secondary guns fire on the target. Only relevant if you have selected the manual secondary fire as commander skill. Otherwise all secondary guns will fire at will.

Not entirely correct.  When you don't have Manual Secondaries, all secondary guns that have sight of the selected target will fire on that target, while guns that don't have line-of-sight will fire at whatever is closest until selected target comes into line-of-sight.

@Cool_Coral_Reefr

What they are doing is pointing their crosshair over a target ship and hitting F3 (default key), if that is what you were asking.  Otherwise CTRL+L click only prioritizes a target for your secondary guns. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
309 posts
9,602 battles

If i am not mistaken, manualy selecting a target without manual secondaries will also increase accuracy by 20%?

Members
4,371 posts
11,269 battles
35 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

If i am not mistaken, manualy selecting a target without manual secondaries will also increase accuracy by 20%?

Unless it’s been changed, it does give a slight boost to accuracy (but not as much as ManSecs selected fire)

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
25 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Unless it’s been changed, it does give a slight boost to accuracy (but not as much as ManSecs selected fire)

You said ManSecs.

• Funny 3

[ENB]
Members
19 posts
2,495 battles
8 hours ago, Volron said:

Not entirely correct.  When you don't have Manual Secondaries, all secondary guns that have sight of the selected target will fire on that target, while guns that don't have line-of-sight will fire at whatever is closest until selected target comes into line-of-sight.

@Cool_Coral_Reefr

What they are doing is pointing their crosshair over a target ship and hitting F3 (default key), if that is what you were asking.  Otherwise CTRL+L click only prioritizes a target for your secondary guns. :Smile_great:

From the wiki:

Manual Target Selection

The captain may select one enemy to fire at in preference to all others. Hold down the <ctrl> key and select the enemy ship with the left mouse button (LMB).[3] When the preferred target is selected, a small icon (illustrated nearby) appears above its icon. Only one target can be manually selected. When a preferred target is selected, secondary guns will fire at no other target. Designating such a target provides no bonuses of any type.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,466 posts
6,520 battles
4 minutes ago, lbfreitasBR said:

From the wiki:

Manual Target Selection

The captain may select one enemy to fire at in preference to all others. Hold down the <ctrl> key and select the enemy ship with the left mouse button (LMB).[3] When the preferred target is selected, a small icon (illustrated nearby) appears above its icon. Only one target can be manually selected. When a preferred target is selected, secondary guns will fire at no other target. Designating such a target provides no bonuses of any type.

This is the correct answer..    Basically when selected w/o the skill it just designates all secondary guns in range to fire at only that target.   Which if in range of several ships can have a pretty dramatic effect.     

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
6 hours ago, iRA6E said:

This is the correct answer..    Basically when selected w/o the skill it just designates all secondary guns in range to fire at only that target.   Which if in range of several ships can have a pretty dramatic effect.     

It's somewhat a misleading though.  I wish they would clear it up a little as it doesn't explain to people that secondary guns that do not have line-of-sight of the designated target will fire at other targets that are in range which are 1) The closest; 2) In line-of-sight of the secondary gun, and that if a designated target is not in range that secondary guns will still shoot at other targets until it is (I should've been more clear in my answer myself :Smile_facepalm: ).

Example Change:

Manual Target Selection

The captain may select one enemy to fire at in preference to all others. Hold down the <ctrl> key and select the enemy ship with the left mouse button (LMB).[3] When the preferred target is selected, a small icon (illustrated nearby) appears above its icon. Only one target can be manually selected. When a preferred target is selected, secondary guns will fire at no other target if preferred target is in range. If preferred target is not in range, secondary guns will still fire at nearby enemy ships until preferred target is in range. Secondary guns that do not have line-of-sight of preferred target will still fire on a nearby enemy ship that is: 1) in range of secondary gun; 2) in line-of-sight of secondary gun. Designating such a target provides no bonuses of any type.

This is a slightly more defined answer.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,117 posts
8,332 battles
16 hours ago, Toxygene said:

If you designate it without manual, all guns that can bear will focus on that target, while the ones that can't will fire at whatever.

Useful for concentrating fire with multiple targets present.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
16 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

God no, lol.

Doing so only prioritizes that target if there are multiple potential targets in secondary range.  You don't get an accuracy buff for it unless your captain is trained in the relevant secondary skills, you've mounted the signal that buffs secondaries, or equipped a ship module that buffs secondaries.

[SLDR]
Members
253 posts
10,140 battles
2 hours ago, Volron said:

...Secondary guns that do not have line-of-sight of preferred target will still fire on a nearby enemy ship that is: 1) in range of secondary gun; 2) in line-of-sight of secondary gun. Designating such a target provides no bonuses of any type.

This is a slightly more defined answer.

Can you please give citation for this info?

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
16 minutes ago, slider37 said:

Can you please give citation for this info?

There is no official citation for it.  It is something you can go witness yourself in-game.  Take a battleship into the training room and watch what your secondaries do when you are inside multiple targets.

[GOB]
Members
2,066 posts
5 minutes ago, Volron said:

There is no official citation for it.  It is something you can go witness yourself in-game.  Take a battleship into the training room and watch what your secondaries do when you are inside multiple targets.

As usual this is all so confusing but that is WG

I asked this not long ago because I didn't like the fact that by using the Manual seconds skill you shut down the other side of the ships guns so they do nothing to save you from any surprises that may pop up while your looking the other way. Also it halves your Damage output , especially if you speced for them and you have 11k range.  Since Manual seconds are expensive (4 pnts ) This needs to be MUCH clearer.  

Paging @LittleWhiteMouse   

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
Just now, Col_Nasty said:

I asked this not long ago because I didn't like the fact that by using the Manual seconds skill you shut down the other side of the ships guns so they do nothing to save you from any surprises that may pop up while your looking the other way. Also it halves your Damage output , especially if you speced for them and you have 11k range.  Since Manual seconds are expensive (4 pnts ) This needs to be MUCH clearer.  

Paging @LittleWhiteMouse   

I agree.  I have played around with Manual Secondaries, and in Hermes it was actually quite useful, but overall I don't like it either.  Like you said, it cuts your secondary power in half.  MULTIPLE times I've had my secondaries destroy ships on both sides in quick order because I didn't have Manual Secondaries skill.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,098 battles
6 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Paging @LittleWhiteMouse   

Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament for tier VII battleships does a lot for improving the accuracy of your guns.  Like, it's not even funny by how much it improves your dispersion.  Don't think of it as halving your firepower, think of it more as reducing the amount of time needed to sink an enemy ship by as much as 2/3s.   Yes, you're losing the fire coming off the opposite side, but let's be real:  without the manual secondary skill, short of having enemies on both sides at 2km, the number of hits gained on your primary target WITH the skill far outweighs the number of incidental hits you would be getting on a target on the opposite side.

In short:  Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament is totally worth losing half of your secondary fire in order to make sure something gets stupidly dead in a hurry.

Also, because someone is going to want proof.  This is my Shikishima without the skill but with fire focused on one ship (the center Kongo).  Note how the secondaries off either side are engaging other vessels?  My secondaries were engaging four targets at once.

3BNun0A.jpg

[GOB]
Members
2,066 posts
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament for tier VII battleships does a lot for improving the accuracy of your guns.  Like, it's not even funny by how much it improves your dispersion.  Don't think of it as halving your firepower, think of it more as reducing the amount of time needed to sink an enemy ship by as much as 2/3s.   Yes, you're losing the fire coming off the opposite side, but let's be real:  without the manual secondary skill, short of having enemies on both sides at 2km, the number of hits gained on your primary target WITH the skill far outweighs the number of incidental hits you would be getting on a target on the opposite side.

In short:  Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament is totally worth losing half of your secondary fire in order to make sure something gets stupidly dead in a hurry.

Also, because someone is going to want proof.  This is my Shikishima without the skill but with fire focused on one ship (the center Kongo).  Note how the secondaries off either side are engaging other vessels?  My secondaries were engaging four targets at once.

3BNun0A.jpg

Thank you Mouse!   Wondering how much it effects the Mass and Georgia though.   Always great info!!   This is why..............

gisrfyujsrytjphy.gif

Edited by Col_Nasty

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
8 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

3BNun0A.jpg

Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned earlier, I've found Manual Secondaries quite useful in Hermes.  You are entirely correct in that it will make short work of selected targets, especially the DD's in that op, but in the situations I generally find myself in, I've overall had more success without it than with it.  Plus it is one less thing for me to have to micro. :Smile_Default:

[O2]
Members
229 posts

I have specked my new Siegfried with manual fire for secondaries, and I must say it's a new experience. A cruiser that has long-range secondaries that actually connects with the target. Now I can deal with DD"s as well as any other cruiser and the occasional BB.

[SLDR]
Members
253 posts
10,140 battles
4 hours ago, Volron said:

I just took my Bismarck with manual secondaries into COOP and placed it between 2 reds.  It only fired at the selected target on the port side.  The starboard guns were totally silent.  So I'd say my observation agrees with WG's official line on manual secondaries.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,804 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, slider37 said:

I just took my Bismarck with manual secondaries into COOP and placed it between 2 reds.  It only fired at the selected target on the port side.  The starboard guns were totally silent.  So I'd say my observation agrees with WG's official line on manual secondaries.

I took MFCS into The Filth Wars at Hallowe'en.  The results were abysmal.  Simple sensory overload, the target environment was so rich.  After a game with like 11 hits I took it off and got several hundred the next game.  It's what happens when you get old and crap and have to let the automatic targeting system do the much less efficient job.

Anyway, since I got in the habit of target-selecting everything back in the old CV days, I'll take it on a few ships but generally not.

Rambling on... Was that coherent?

[WK]
1,089 posts
15,013 battles
3 hours ago, slider37 said:

Manual Secondary Captain Skill is one thing, Manual Target Designation is another.  We are talking about Manual Target Designation, not Manual Secondary Captain Skill.  Re-read what I have stated, then go back and check again without the Manual Secondary skill.  Ell, LWM even provided a screenshot of what was being discussed and proved what I was talking about.:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SLDR]
Members
253 posts
10,140 battles
13 hours ago, Volron said:

Manual Secondary Captain Skill is one thing, Manual Target Designation is another.  We are talking about Manual Target Designation, not Manual Secondary Captain Skill.  Re-read what I have stated, then go back and check again without the Manual Secondary skill.  Ell, LWM even provided a screenshot of what was being discussed and proved what I was talking about.:Smile_Default:

You're right.  I was conflating the 2 things.  Thumb's up to you for the clarifications.

• Thanks 1