You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Megatron1984

Chapayev help

8 comments in this topic

[TCB]
Members
31 posts
5,452 battles

I really need advice playing the Chalayev, because I find it to be a VERY crap ship at the moment.

I have played this ship a lot, and I got a lot of feel for how it handles, fires, all that. BUT all those points are mute when you are sunk in the first minute of a match.

so, the Chapayev does have some strengths:

Its soviet 12 km radar is the bane of destroyers and  nicotine addicted cruisers.

Its guns pump out shells very fast with a very low trajectory, great for hitting destroyers at medium ranges that other light cruisers can’t do, due to their high shell arcs.

it has decent AA, which can be improved. And it has 4 km torps, which are good in close-quarters.

So, what is the big problem with this ship? It really boils down to 3 things, that are not too bad individually, but combined, they are a NIGHTMARE to deal with.

first, durability:

the chapayev has piss poor armor. Which for a light cruiser is nothing new. Its on the Cleveland, it’s on the Edinburgh, it’s a trope of light cruisers, so I’m not going to rip on this too much. Low durability isn’t all that bad... unless...

...you have no mobility to save your [edited].

and the chapayev turns like a DRUNKEN BRICK. It has piss poor handling for a cruiser, feeling more like a battleship than anything. Both the Cleveland and Edinburgh are far superior in mobility. The chapayev is speedy, but it has a piss poor turn circle and rudder shift, making it even more painful to aim your guns or maneuver, because it’s a longer time to aim, or a longer tune that your broadside is exposed to spanking from all too eager BBs. Plus, evading torps in this is a NIGHTMARE.

And finally, concealment. Maybe the chapayev has a good concealment to help it? NOPE. The chapayev’s detection radius is 10.3 KM WITH CE skill, camo, and concealment mod 1.

the Baltimore has better concealment with 9.9 km, and it’s a heavy cruiser.

and the chappy doesn’t have a smoke screen to hide in, like the Edinburgh, so its exposed much worse.

Any advice on how to overcome these shortcomings and do well? It’s really infuriating to be sunk so easily in EVEN Co-op battles...

Members
236 posts
5,561 battles

Chappy is awesome. But for me it boils down to kitting. Use HE primarily and angle your ship as you sail away. Donksi is 100% a tier 9 chappy so it pays to learn before you move on. I also have the irian which is an chappy clone. 

Towards the end of the game you can get in and push but in the beginning kite/fight dds. Don't engage bbs until they are duking it out with other bbs.

[NGUNS]
Members
166 posts
8,778 battles

The radar tricks you into thinking that you have to support DDs in the early game. Usually you can’t, unless you find that rare island cover that works. Stay at range and start fires. Then late game go after red DDs with your radar.

• Thanks 1

Members
4,083 posts
10,165 battles

Going to echo both comments above me - Chapy (and really the entire CL branch from t6 up) is an HE spammer early/mid game that uses distance (and other, closer proximity allies) as armor. You have the ballistics to sit back until enemies start to thin out and still land accurate fire, and at that range with the slot 4 rudder mod your handling is enough to dodge the occasional salvo.

Outside of smaller team competitive modes (like the t8 CB season a while back), your radar isn’t meant to support DDs right at the start of the game, but rather to find that pesky red DD later in the game that needs to die. You have a 1.7km stealth radar window. Use it and abuse it when you can do so safely. Likewise with the torps. They’re installed on your ship for two reasons - to suicide rush a distracted enemy ship (preferably a BB) when you’re almost dead to take him with you, or to deal with the SURPRISE! enemy that manages to sneak up on you around cover and is going to kill you with guns or torps (again, an ‘I’m taking you with me’ situation). 

Members
1,662 posts
34,209 battles
2 hours ago, Megatron1984 said:

I really need advice playing the Chalayev, because I find it to be a VERY crap ship at the moment.

I have played this ship a lot, and I got a lot of feel for how it handles, fires, all that. BUT all those points are mute when you are sunk in the first minute of a match.

Its soviet 12 km radar is the bane of destroyers and  nicotine addicted cruisers.

Its guns pump out shells very fast with a very low trajectory, great for hitting destroyers at medium ranges that other light cruisers can’t do, due to their high shell arcs.

it has decent AA, which can be improved. And it has 4 km torps, which are good in close-quarters.

So, what is the big problem with this ship? It really boils down to 3 things, that are not too bad individually, but combined, they are a NIGHTMARE to deal with.

first, durability:

the chapayev has piss poor armor. Which for a light cruiser is nothing new. Its on the Cleveland, it’s on the Edinburgh, it’s a trope of light cruisers, so I’m not going to rip on this too much. Low durability isn’t all that bad... unless...

and the chapayev turns like a DRUNKEN BRICK. It has piss poor handling for a cruiser, feeling more like a battleship than anything. Both the Cleveland and Edinburgh are far superior in mobility. The chapayev is speedy, but it has a piss poor turn circle and rudder shift, making it even more painful to aim your guns or maneuver, because it’s a longer time to aim, or a longer tune that your broadside is exposed to spanking from all too eager BBs. Plus, evading torps in this is a NIGHTMARE.

And finally, concealment. Maybe the chapayev has a good concealment to help it? NOPE. The chapayev’s detection radius is 10.3 KM WITH CE skill, camo, and concealment mod 1.

and the chappy doesn’t have a smoke screen to hide in, like the Edinburgh, so its exposed much worse.

Any advice on how to overcome these shortcomings and do well? It’s really infuriating to be sunk so easily in EVEN Co-op battles...

With Soviet cruisers, rudder mod is more important than anything else. They all turn terrible without it. But lets say after that mod she is still sluggish to you, well you could pop the throttle down briefly and cut steering to compensate so you can dodge torpedoes.

Armor is poor, cover or firing situational is key. Fire on the fringe of your detection. The further away you are, the harder it is to hit back at you and you can easily go dark.

Use your speed, camping behind cover works for about 5 minutes then you are surrounded. If you keep moving, you are never focused.

Utilize team support, never go it alone. If it's you versus a DD, that's hard to do if you are unable to find him with just radar alone. Typically DDs will wait for your radar to cool down to attack. Get help with spotting him.

Know your limitations, attack when you have an advantage. Low health, or ships vulnerable to fire are easy prey. Think vulture. Swoop in on the weak. While them torps are handy, they are best used when you see a ship not looking at you and you ambush from behind that island to dump them. Just don't stick around if you miss. Either sail away fast or 180 turn around to unload the other side.

In most cases, you attack a BB that has his guns pointed the wrong way, but break off the moment he turns them on to you.

I guess it boils down to hit and run or fight with support. Just angle as best you can but be prepared to use cover to break off, not linger behind that cover.

If you keep the enemy guessing where you are, then you are going to be fine.

Chappy is not for everyone, but while the vast majority of Russian players do play aggressive, they don't in this ship. Chappy is finesse and opportunity. Pick your moments. You are not going to impact the match initially, but when the other ships start to wear down later in match, that is where your ship shines.

Members
3,696 posts
22,091 battles
8 hours ago, Megatron1984 said:

first, durability:

I think part of your issue is you went from Budyonny to Chappy without playing Schors. If you had played Schors you would recognize that with it's light armor you need to stay towards the latter part of your range and rain HE shells at your target.

Members
249 posts

If you’re getting deleted in the first minute, then you’re playing too aggressive.  Keeping the range high between you and the enemy gives you time to dodge incoming fire.  If you are well angled, then you don’t need to change direction much for those shells to miss.  Change speeds.  People usually assume you are moving at full speed, so if you’re only at 1/4 or 1/2 speed, you’ll often see shells sail on ahead of you.  Ideally you want people to get frustrated with trying to hit you and choose to shoot at something easier.  If you’re the only thing to shoot at, then it’s time to go dark.  10.3km concealment is actually pretty good, even if it’s not the best, and you should be engaging from outside that range anyway.  If you stop shooting and 20 seconds later you are still detected, then now is the time to use your radar because there’s a DD spotting you.

Anytime a DD is spotted you should be shooting at it.  Your fast rate of fire and she’ll speed makes you very effective at shooting DDs.  Even if you can’t reliably hit them, all those shots will force the DD to turn away, and help your DDs secure the objective.

Chapayev, Donskoi, and Nevsky all play the same way.  So take the time to learn the Chapavey well.  They are all really good ships - hands down my favorite ships in the game - if you know how to play them.  They are support ships though.  You need to support your team from the start, because if the team falls apart, you will have an exceedingly hard time carrying in them.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
74 posts
3,912 battles

Kiting, it's the only way to play Chapayev effectively. People will often yell at you because you have radar, therefore you must be close to the enemy ships in order to use it, ignore them, stay at moderately long range, angled, stern first and WASD hack your way to the Donskoi. Don't be afraid to sit behind an island to fire from safety, it's a valid tactic that applies to many ships. It's a tricky ship to play, Tier VIII cruisers are mostly fine in all cases but the lack of heal sucks, and you face Tier X which can hurt you real fast.., so don't feel terribly bad if you feel you're not doing your job very well.

• Cool 1