You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DropBearAttack

Matchmaker Unbalanced Ship Distribution, Blowout Games, Mission Distraction

18 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
29 posts
7,626 battles

What is up with all the unbalanced ship distribution lately? So many games with 4 BB on one team and 3 on the other. It is always a blowout. Is this a new feature of Matchmaker. It sucks whether you are on the winning or losing team. All these missions are screwing up game play too. People are more focused on getting defended ribbons, citadels, fires, or any other number of tasks specified by missions instead of helping the team to win.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
396 posts
11,071 battles

Play some coop or take a break. You're getting a bit toxic. I know I was. I played coop for about a month and went back to randoms. Got my head on straight about just having fun and I've been winning a lot more games now.

• Cool 2

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles
3 hours ago, Gemlin said:

Play some coop or take a break. You're getting a bit toxic. I know I was. I played coop for about a month and went back to randoms. Got my head on straight about just having fun and I've been winning a lot more games now.

Actually co-op is festering with those missions too.

But co-op is a lot better than Randoms.

I see the missions are affecting the game, but I adapt to it.

Usually a player says what missions they have and I can work around it. But that only happens in co-op.

• Cool 1

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles

There's also a full-blown uptier epidemic in case you hadn't noticed.  57% of my games in June - were double-uptiered - vs only 23% down=tiered.  That's not random folks, and it's not the first time it's happened.  I've been tracking this for several months now and it's an ongoing issue.  Hmmm.  Wonder who's benefitting from this?  I'm not, that's for sure.  And don't give me any lip about "more XP" playing uptiered all the time. 

Edited by _HoJo_
  • Cool 1

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles
6 hours ago, Gemlin said:

Making constructive observations about the game isn't being toxic.  While there is a lot of toxicity in WoWs these days, that word is becoming overused in this community and doesn't characterize most comments or criticisms of the game experience players are having.  It's simply feedback, and WG polls all players for this from time to time.  Your advice is fine and probably wise, but you don't have any authority to name-call or undercut your fellow members by labeling their feelings and legitimate use of the forums as "toxic".

Edited by _HoJo_
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Unfortunately when there are multiple events ongoing, there are enough players that will 'play for the objectives/themselves' that it messes with what could be considered as 'normal' game play.

It is what it is when it comes to the events!

However, I do believe there is an issue with MM, in that I do not believe it is up to the task of matching the multitude of gimmicks they have been introduced into game. Putting Events to the side, I think this attributes to lopsided results. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,688 posts
18,567 battles

MM is not the problem, its the scapegoat...

No matter what MM offerings WG gives..

• Same tier (Rank, CB, Sub).
  • +2 MM for Random
  • Mirror MM for our Kindergarten Co-op mod.

No one is ever happy... MM is not the problem... Power creep is the root cause of the OPs issues.

Power creep or our insatiable appetite for WG power creep products... Have been the root of the problems/unbalancing issues concerning MM.

With more Power creep ships on the horizon... Its not going to get any better, in fact.. Power creep will make people complain about same tier and mirror MM..

So, something has to give.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles
15 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

MM is not the problem, its the scapegoat...

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  My opinion is that MM is one of the many problems that can be solved, and solving the MM problem could mitigate issues with powercreep.  You've got 7000 to 10000 players online (NA server) at most any hour, and that pool is large enough to find balanced matches skillswise and shipwise.  The developers simply haven't implemented the solution - which isn't actually that hard to do if the will existed.  It simply doesn't.

Edited by _HoJo_
  • Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,688 posts
18,567 battles
On 7/14/2020 at 3:20 AM, _HoJo_ said:

My opinion is that MM is one of the many problems that can be solved, and solving the MM problem could mitigate issues with powercreep.

So you like WG power creep products...

You cant have it both ways... Power creep will not mitigate any current MM problems. Its not possible as I stated in detail in post #7.

The community has to choose

1. Keep on demanding/purchasing  over powered/over capable or power creep WG products, Knowing full well... It will add to the balance/unbalance issues currently in the game..
    • OR
  2. Demand the nerf bat to the offending elements/ships/power creep products, that are causing the problem.

You can't have both..

If you value the integrity of MM and fair play then, I would reject to new power creep products.. ====> Because of this affect, I dont see how power creep mitigates any MM issues. In the contrary, it makes the problem worse not better.

If you're thinking of implementing SBMM to "mitigate" the problem... It doesn't work like that and it causes more problems then it fixes...

Choose wisely. Once you chosen your path, enjoy the view... If it sucks then to bad, you were warned.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

So you like WG power creep products...

Power creep will not mitigate any current MM problems. Its not possible as I stated in detail in post #7.

On the contrary, I don't.  But they are inevitable because that's how WG thrives as a business.  You obviously misread my post.  I said proper MM would mitigate powercreep, not the opposite.  Or maybe you don't know what "mitigate" means?

[WORX]
Members
10,688 posts
18,567 battles
15 minutes ago, _HoJo_ said:

I said proper MM would mitigate powercreep, not the opposite

I only know of two types of MM...

• The one we currently have
    • OR
  • SBMM..

I was under the presumption  you're advocating to SBMM as a way of "mitigating"... Regardless of which MM is used, as I stated in previous previous post. it will not "mitigate" MM problems because the root cause is power creep.

15 minutes ago, _HoJo_ said:

Or maybe you don't know what "mitigate" means?

Or I am having a hard time communicating complex issue of MM and the negative affects of power creep to you.

My position, MM is the scapegoat.. The root problem is power creep WG products... As long as they exist, MM will be the fall guy. I just dont see how MM can mitigate the power creep issue..

Never fear... You can disagree with my position.

Edited by Navalpride33

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,659 battles

I grind out most of my objective stuff in coop these days. It's not only less stressful, but it's also a lot faster and a more efficient use of your time. 

• Cool 2

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I only know of two types of MM...

• The one we currently have
    • OR
  • SBMM..

I was under the presumption  you're advocating to SBMM as a way of "mitigating"... Regardless of which MM is used, as I stated in previous previous post. it will not "mitigate" MM problems because the root cause is power creep.

Or I am having a hard time communicating complex issue of MM and the negative affects of power creep to you.

My position, MM is the scapegoat.. The root problem is power creep WG products... As long as they exist, MM will be the fall guy. I just dont see how MM can mitigate the power creep issue..

Never fear... You can disagree with my position.

A proper MM system is more complex than basic SBMM.  Powercreep has existed for years now and is getting worse.  It is painfully obvious that balancing is a major issue in competitive games (how many Venizias/Smolensks/etc. does your team need to win) and it is totally out of control in Randoms since skill and experience are ignored as well by MM.  Complex problems require very thoughtful and thorough solutions.  WG isn't interested in providing the solution or they would have released a proper MM system by now.  It's not that hard to do.
So, IMHO, MM is not the scapegoat.  It is the solution to powercreep and most other problems with fair play, etc. - for both competitive and random games.  Disagreement is the precursor to understanding as long as we listen to each other!  :)

[WORX]
Members
10,688 posts
18,567 battles
1 minute ago, _HoJo_ said:

A proper MM system

So what is your definition of a Proper MM system ?

To me, our current MM system is fine as long as power creep is fended off with rules, boundaries and limitations (on ships and other capabilities).

What is this Proper MM system? What games are using this system currently?

[DRAC0]
Members
60 posts
4,292 battles
23 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

So what is your definition of a Proper MM system ?

To me, our current MM system is fine as long as power creep is fended off with rules, boundaries and limitations (on ships and other capabilities).

What is this Proper MM system? What games are using this system currently?

WoWs is an environment unique to itself, and it is continuously evolving, so a proper MM system for "Random games" cannot be static (as the current one is) if we want fairly matched teams. A proper MM system must be skills-based to a significant degree to avoid a syndrome I call "Yankees vs South Park Jr. High" games.  Those who think these games don't happen often would be shocked to see how often they actually occur.  A proper MM also has to take into account not only the skill of the players but the various aspects of the assembled ships in the match in Random games.  This is done to some extent already (ship tier/type mirroring) but not to the degree necessary.  To explain in detail how it would work is far too lengthy a discussion to have here, but you may assume I have given this a lot of thought and have studied the problem for quite a long time, including a major collaborative effort to capture complete game data from over 10,000 games over the last few months.

I will be quick to say that I agree with others who feel that MM parity or fairness does not seem to be a philosophical objective for WG in "Random games".  I also agree that it doesn't need to be a priority for them as long as people pay to play in sufficient numbers to keep the business running,  I always envision what games could be for their communities if the developers wanted to deliver the most satisfying gaming experience, but I have no skin in the game.  WG seems happy with the current meta, and it's their money.

Edited by _HoJo_
  • Meh 1

[HAVC5]
Members
66 posts
1,163 battles

Too many games with 1 cruiser and 4 DD on each team, because BB's just get slaughtered. Too many games with 1 or no DD's on each team and half the game is wasted waiting for someone to be spotted. Too many games with uneven same type ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
On 7/14/2020 at 8:28 AM, Ranari said:

I grind out most of my objective stuff in coop these days. It's not only less stressful, but it's also a lot faster and a more efficient use of your time. 

Yep. Better for everything except all forms of XP, and that I go to Randoms for AFTER I've got specific things like citadels, torp hits, caps, damage, but especially top-two placings, wins, and other such stuff that can be chancy in PvP OFF THE DAMN TABLE, and can simply concentrate on playing my best to try and win the game for the best XP yield.

(Arguably it's faster per time spent in game to go to co-op for everything wherever possible, but I'm trying to get as many XP out of each one-shot camo and flag as I can, especially the rare ultra-high-XP ones. I have a lot, but the supplies are not bottomless and some of them may or may not be offered in large quantities ever again.)

Co-op is THE PLACE to YOLO to get all the particulars done, because you NEED to play aggressively there.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

just even out players with 40% or less win rate on each team. Good is very relative, poor/still learning is much easier to define. That would help MM immensely.  

I am not a bad player, not great but I went 2-11 out of thirteen games today. 75% were not even close mainly because of very poor play from multiple ships on the side I happen to be on, in those game I averaged 100K and 2.4kills per game. I know losing and winning streaks happen but this is just not fun. Maybe is payback for the chat ban they had me on for getting frustrated and calling the bleeping idiot and bleeping idiot

Here are some quotes for team mates: "I don't spot DDs because its too hard" = CV player ;  "I can't move up they are shooting at me" = full health RIGA x2 ; "I will need my hydro later" = German BB with Benham in smoke 4 km away and my personal favorite " I am helping the CV with AA" = Atago

These are high tier ship mind you how the heck do you get to those with this type of understanding.

BTW these were all today

Edited by vikingno2
  • Cool 2