You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Destroyers role

62 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
671 posts
9,869 battles

I play cruisers almost every day. A few days ago Kiev gave my Worcester a smoke near a cap. It was the first time in two or maybe even three months when DD did set up smoke for me as a cruiser. That tooltip is the only place where WG says what destroyers should do (or not?). Do you think this state of the game is fine?

5BfPCwR.png

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
1,952 posts
6,181 battles

Smoke is used more as a personal defensive tool especially with CVs present. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[GOCRY]
Members
393 posts

DDs role is to die quickly to combined rocket attacks and HE spam from the other team that is capitalizing on the spotting provided by the rocket planes.  Duh...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles

Part of it is, as a DD, you NEED your smokes. Either offensively or defensively. Use it now and (unless you're a Brit) it will be a while before you can do it again. It may be good for the team but it won't help your score at the end (except for spotting damage). It may be a team game but you are mostly rewarded for individual effort. Still, it can help our team win.

Second, you have to have the communication so you know your attempt to aid an ally won't be wasted as he continues blindly on to wherever he was going before. May never even see the smoke in his zoomed in view. May not notice or realize why he is suddenly undetected. You are probably going to have to stay out of that smoke to maintain vision so you can be more vulnerable.

By the way, check out what that tool-tip says CVs are supposed to be doing.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles

You can lay down a large swath of smoke by hitting speed boost at same time. And if no CV present, then sail behind the curtain not in it. Use it like a two dimensional curtain. If a wide U shape, it proves useful for DD as well. Just keep moving and keep smoke between line of sight of any enemy.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Smoke is used more as a personal defensive tool especially with CVs present. 

Yeah this has become the case by necessity, and the reason I pretty much exclusively use only DDs that carry smoke, unless I am playing Harekaze which has the best at higher tiers concealment, carries the 100mm dual purpose guns that can put out some decent AA power, and the fact torpedo reload booster is so fun to use, but during times when far too many CVs are around it’s getting tempting to use smoke even on that DD.

So bottom line is DDs often simply cannot afford to share smoke as often these days if CVs are in battle unless the DD is planning to use the smoke themselves as well as allowing an allied ship access to it.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
2 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Just keep moving and keep smoke between line of sight of any enemy.

There is always the danger that you just blinded your team too when you do this. Potentially more so than the enemy.

• Cool 4

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

There is always the danger that you just blinded your team too when you do this. Potentially more so than the enemy.

And if you are still out of detection, then you leave the smoke for the cruiser, staying in smoke seldom is useful.

Laying smoke and staying dark so you spot for teammates using the smoke.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So bottom line is DDs often simply cannot afford to share smoke as often these days if CVs are in battle unless the DD is planning to use the smoke themselves as well as allowing an allied ship access to it. 

Of course snuggling up in a smoke screen with a Wooster (like the OP) when the CV comes looking for the DD that laid that smoke can be amusing.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
1,952 posts
6,181 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

Of course snuggling up in a smoke screen with a Wooster (like the OP) when the CV comes looking for the DD that laid that smoke can be amusing.

If there is a wooster near by I would not smoke it for the purposes of CVs.  Rather keep the smoke charge for when I am out the Woosters AA protection. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
1 minute ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Laying smoke and staying dark so you spot for teammates using the smoke.

Which, game-wise, means your aren't doing anything particularly profitable for an extended period of time unless you can also be setting up a torp attack.

• Meh 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,330 posts
20,013 battles

If a CV is present then I'm saving it, smoke kiev  I'm still saving it,  torpedo destroyer sure why not

Without a CV 

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

If there is a wooster near by I would not smoke it for the purposes of CVs. 

Not strictly to set up the trap, but assume the Wooster is in a position to be shooting also (which might tip the CV off that it isn't just a Z52 sitting in that smoke)

[KWF]
Members
4,359 posts
6,405 battles

I have stopped smoking up people on my own will. 99% of the time they will ignore it or fire immediately, nullifying the getaway I provided them.

Smoke is provided only if asked, only if I don't have an urgent need for it.

[TBB]
Members
614 posts
4,780 battles

That description was written during the RTS CV days so it's obsolete. I was told this by multiple players when I primarily attacked capital ships and not destroyers as a CV. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,322 posts
3,760 battles
37 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

5BfPCwR.png

LOL, at least they don't say you need to cap and spot.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
10 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

That description was written during the RTS CV days so it's obsolete. I was told this by multiple players when I primarily attacked capital ships and not destroyers as a CV

The DD blurb was written at the same time. When all DDs had smoke. Probably the original concept WG for how play would go before everyone realized that the rewards were far better (in randoms) if you were more selfish. In COOP, it is completely selfish (unless you end up on a team that is mostly bots). The cooperation model in COOP is based on the seagulls in "Find Nemo"---MINE!--MINE!--MINE!

Notice in competitive gaming, players are more concerned on what helps the team win.

Edited by Sabot_100

[META_]
Members
1,205 posts
16,006 battles

If the destroyer sets up smoke for you it's a bonus, I do it sometimes and it's in my monaghan video I posted I smoked 2 different times for my teammates but it's more about how the game is going... So if your question was do they need to smoke you, no. A destroyers life is dependent on that smoke sometimes. I main cv and DDS and post destroyer strategy guides on my YouTube channel Meta_man2002 check them out and subscribe if they help you which if you're having trouble winning they are definitely gonna help you. 

[TIMT]
Members
635 posts
3,387 battles

I sometimes do this in destroyers that actually have a good smoke, but since I played mostly Jutland and Daring in the last few weeks this never happened.

There are however cases where I specifically ask ships like Worcesters etc if they want a smoke. Sometimes they react and tell me when and where to smoke, then I just stay outside the smoke and farm spotting. Laying smoke effectively in most cases requires good communication with you team so they know smoke is coming and plan ahead. Otherwise they'll drive through, cant stop in time or etc. In cruisers I really appreciate when DDs lay smoke for me, especially when they do so to save my bacon. However, most DDs need their smoke for self-defense so all of these tactics are more a CB or division thing.

[-TNT-]
Members
404 posts
15,434 battles
48 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

DDs role is to die quickly to combined rocket attacks and HE spam from the other team that is capitalizing on the spotting provided by the rocket planes.  Duh...

Well said ..... Z52 still need torp rage buff to 12.5k ..10.5k is a joke in a 12k radar world .....

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
3,747 posts
23,256 battles
18 minutes ago, War182 said:

Well said ..... Z52 still need torp rage buff to 12.5k ..10.5k is a joke in a 12k radar world .....

So Khaba gets a torp range buff then? What about Fletcher?

[DDM_]
Members
1,559 posts
5,740 battles

DD Role? To whine about CV and Radar..........occasionally launch skill walls, and if it's a good DD player, try and cap once other ships have gone out in front and made sure said DD can't get shot at.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles

Sometimes I will smoke at the time the bots start of match push, (PvE) gets in range of the team, if I, or another ship, can keep them spotted.

Some use it some don't. But it does usually get me focused so I will be kiteing. If I was going to launch torps I would have done it before then. 

If a CA or BB is overextended and being targeted by several ships I might smoke to give them a chance to turn and withdraw. 

It just depends. Half the time I am in a French DD so it's not a question. 

If I can I will be trying to spot and get torp shots. 

Capping, or trying to, at the start of a match in PvE will get you killed. For me anyway most of the time especially if no support. 

If I am not on a flank, I look for bot ships that may have gotten through the line and are a threat to our BB. CV or cap. If my DD is fast enough I  will try to intercept them. (one DD historical role)

• Cool 1

Members
3,747 posts
23,256 battles
6 minutes ago, R_Razor said:

DD Role? To whine about CV and Radar..........occasionally launch skill walls, and if it's a good DD player, try and cap once other ships have gone out in front and made sure said DD can't get shot at.

online gaming Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
849 posts

That DD role was probably written three years ago.  Things have changed allot for DDs.  I play cruisers and I never expect smoke from a DD.  It might work if you are playing divisions with other players who know what/why you are doing it, but in Randoms....forget it.  Occasionally a DD will drop smoke if I'm in trouble and I give them a +1.  But, I never expect it.