Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Truxtun_35

Puerto Rico

24 comments in this topic

[CLUMP]
Members
99 posts
7,401 battles

Who would like to see the Rico available ? I would, & I am curious if any one else would be.

• Boring 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,479 posts

The said it eventually would be available again.  For what people paid for it and then the epic grind that came with it, I don't imagine that it will be at all cheap.

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
604 posts
8,298 battles

Other than it's current status as uncommon or semi-rare (?), I don't see anything alluring about the Puerto Rico to actually want it.  It didn't exist IRL so it just doesn't strike a cord with me.   Now if it's sister ship-in-planning Samoa came in the game, that would be interesting...

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I would not mind if the ship were a coal ship as despite it being only on par with or according to some a little sub par with Alaska. The main hatred in the community towards Puerto Rico was not the ship itself, but rather how Wargaming chose to release it.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
5 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Other than it's current status as uncommon or semi-rare (?), I don't see anything alluring about the Puerto Rico to actually want it.  It didn't exist IRL so it just doesn't strike a cord with me.   Now if it's sister ship-in-planning Samoa came in the game, that would be interesting...

Despite the hatred around the event, the PR is actually a beast.  The guns are fantastic and it is not easy to citadel.

• Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
1,369 posts
14,304 battles

I think @Admiral_Thrawn_1is spot on.  In spite of the PR being a decent ship, it does not appear all that often in matches, probably because some players still give automatic down votes when they see one.  Making the ship available again might take the stigma away. 

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
13 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I think @Admiral_Thrawn_1is spot on.  In spite of the PR being a decent ship, it does not appear all that often in matches, probably because some players still give automatic down votes when they see one.  Making the ship available again might take the stigma away. 

You don't see it often because it was a pain to get.  I would venture a guess that it's among one of the more rare ships owned, just due to the cost and anger surrounding what was needed to be done to actually get the thing.

I doubt anyone who went through all the trouble to get it, actually cares about the "reports". 

As a CV player, my karma is permanently stuck at 0 anyway. :cap_win:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SVF]
Members
1,710 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

The said it eventually would be available again.

Excepting the "again" part, they said the same about WV44/45.  Here we are, 2 years later, and nothing but silence.  I don't place much stock in WG's words anymore and neither should you tbf.

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
4 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Excepting the "again" part, they said the same about WV44/45.  Here we are, 2 years later, and nothing but silence.  I don't place much stock in WG's words anymore and neither should you tbf.

They didn't say when or give a time frame.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was several years before they made it available.  In fact I kind of expect it. 

I am sure they want to put a lot of distance between the PR event and asking money for the ship again.

As long as they, at some point, do make it available again, they will have kept their word.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,261 posts
18,743 battles
55 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Nah, that’ll just piss off the whales who spent $300 on her only to now see her be available through some grind-able resource and they’ll probably flood the forum crying about it. I say good riddance 

Members
38 posts
18,241 battles

Its a great ship for Clan Battles. Sadly, I don't play mine outside of CB. Same goes for the Stalingrad. I wouldn't mind it being released for those who want it. But the cost would need to be the same as Stalingrad....or more. 

Members
4,341 posts
11,204 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

The said it eventually would be available again.  For what people paid for it and then the epic grind that came with it, I don't imagine that it will be at all cheap.

Well, they said the same thing when the Benham event ended, and I think for at least one of the other removed t9 premiums, and we all know where they ended up... Wouldn’t surprise me if PR gets the same treatment. 

Members
548 posts

For all the hardships, downvotes, alienation, and TK attempts that PR owners took, I can see them not returning it and leaving it as a special ship for the folks who endured those turbulent times. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles

They did say it would be available again. But I think the PR is permanently stained by the fiasco that was that event, so I can absolutely see WG burying that particular ship and never looking at it again. 

Also, if I had ground that ship out I'd be REALLY pissed if WG just came out and sold it. Not that that would stop WG from selling it, but it might affect things a bit.

I guess it depends how well they think it will sell. If it will make enough to overcome the hate that ship (undeservedly, the event was the issue) brings with it, then it will return. But there's a lot of bad will that ship has to overcome.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
2 hours ago, Altwar said:

it's current status as uncommon or semi-rare

It is neither uncommon nor semi-rare; if you remember back to the days when it came out you could see them in almost every high tier battle. I would guess the reason you don't see that many now is because it isn't really all that good of a ship, because if it were more people would play it.

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Also, if I had ground that ship out I'd be REALLY pissed if WG just came out and sold it. Not that that would stop WG from selling it, but it might affect things a bit.

I mean, they are doing it right now right?  You can do a bunch of grinding (and pay some money) to get the Odin, or you can just straight up buy the Odin for a lot more money and do no grinding.

WG does that all the time.  The Blys used to be premium ship for cash only, for years.  I am sure lots of people opened their wallets for it.  Now you can get it for free in the armory (coal).

I went middle of road on my PR.  Did most of the grind and paid my way out of the tail end.  I couldn't care less if they sold the PR for cash tomorrow.  I agreed to the deal they were offering at the time.  That doesn't mean they can't give someone else a different offer, later.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
604 posts
8,298 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

It is neither uncommon nor semi-rare; if you remember back to the days when it came out you could see them in almost every high tier battle. I would guess the reason you don't see that many now is because it isn't really all that good of a ship, because if it were more people would play it.

568 players with it on the NA board, and it sees less than a tenth of the number of battles played of the top 4 ships of it's type and tier (https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3655251952,Puerto-Rico/); I feel it's accurate to state it's at least uncommon.  Not sure what the Captain's logbook classifies it in the ship collections section as I'm not currently at my pc to see it.

I would guess that not many are seen these days because only 568 players have it or have played with it on the NA server.   Good or bad, it doesn't build xp on the new Soviet cruisers tech tree or the future go-slow US BB line or satisfy very many of the active directives so it's uses are a bit limited?  

To get back to the OP's question, thinking a bit more on it for me, if it were available in the Armory, would I get it?  Hard to say as I've easily enough coal for either the Yoshino or Salem, and neither of them have me particularly excited.  What would Puerto Rico have over them?  I already have the sister-ship Alaska.   I don't have enough steel for any ship, let alone one whose steel price could be considerable.   And were it up in the Premium Shop for cash, it would certainly be out of my self-imposed range as even tier 8 ships in WoWs are outside of it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
2 hours ago, Altwar said:

I already have the sister-ship Alaska.

Alaska is supposed to be a much better ship, despite being a tier lower and having only 3 turrets. Would I buy Puerto Rico? I think not, having been seriously put off by WGs initial marketing of her and knowing what I know from listening to others, who own her, talk about her. And you do have a point about 568 ships total making it uncommon, a tag I usually reserve for Iwaki Alpha's. But still, like I said, if it was a good ship, those 568 guys would be playing her a lot, and they aren't.

[UN1]
Members
1,210 posts
3,638 battles
38 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Alaska is supposed to be a much better ship, despite being a tier lower and having only 3 turrets. Would I buy Puerto Rico? I think not, having been seriously put off by WGs initial marketing of her and knowing what I know from listening to others, who own her, talk about her. And you do have a point about 568 ships total making it uncommon, a tag I usually reserve for Iwaki Alpha's. But still, like I said, if it was a good ship, those 568 guys would be playing her a lot, and they aren't.

Wuh?

They're playing it more than the Colbert, Goliath, and Alexander Nevsky combined (although probably for not too long on the AN).  For 588 people having it, they've put in 199,515 games. 

(Pretty sure a lot more than 538 people have it.)

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,245 battles
8 hours ago, Altwar said:

It is almost impossible to citadel

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

I don't see them too much on randoms but there was a fair number of them in the last CB season.  Not nearly the number of Moskvas and Venies but, they weren't absent.

[O7]
Supertester
184 posts
12,381 battles

Puerto Rico wasn't used in the higher leagues of CB last season. Like many other cruisers, poor long-range firepower, vulnerability to SAP, and inability to break spotting made her a poor pick 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
1 hour ago, Ranari said:

Wuh?

They're playing it more than the Colbert, Goliath, and Alexander Nevsky combined (although probably for not too long on the AN).  For 588 people having it, they've put in 199,515 games. 

(Pretty sure a lot more than 538 people have it.)

That number is from @Altwar's post just above mine, and he did include a link: (https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3655251952,Puerto-Rico/); I'm guessing he posted the link so players could check it out. According to your number for games played, that's like 352 games each; and you're right, that's a lot of games!

49 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I don't see them too much on randoms but there was a fair number of them in the last CB season.  Not nearly the number of Moskvas and Venies but, they weren't absent.

I could see them for CBs; 12 barrels firing at once with 12" HE would just ruin a DDs day, and wouldn't do anyone else any good either.

Members
579 posts
7,342 battles

I own it, it still has the priority target stigma in randoms. Makes you play too cautiously for it to be very fun right now. 

It doesn't matter if there is a broadsiding ibuki on my team in from of my PR, a lot of players still focus the PR.

Its weaker than stalingrad for comp imo, and if you needed a heavy cruiser for comp, you have other/ better options.

Sign in to follow this