Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cody_The_Destroyer

Idea - Improvement on game chat

11 comments in this topic

Members
44 posts
18,429 battles

I'm sure this has been brought up before. But I'll throw it out there again. 

Because a small portion of the player base is so toxic and a bunch of snowflakes who blame others after they yolo in and die, why not disable their chat function after they die? Why are dead players allowed to spam chat? I mean, they could be helpful......but the bad outweighs the good. 

I'm sick of kids rushing in, yolo a cap, and dying, then blaming the team because they didn't get support. When the teams largely support two of the three caps. Some criticism is helpful for newer players and should be welcomed from players over a certain WR % or number of games played. But I've seen it from guys with 150 games and 45% WRs. 

One day, I had a 220k game in my Halland and was told I suck. Just yesterday, it was 170k in the Kremlin and its my fault we lost. I was told to uninstall the game and that I suck.  It's a team effort and you have to carry your own weight. The biggest contribution you can have to your team is NOT DYING and deal damage to enemy ships. Or keep them spotted if you're a DD or CV. Could I have played the Krem better yesterday? Absolutely. I should have pushed the Petro I was trying to kill instead of keeping him at 5-8km away. I don't have it yet and I wasn't sure if it had torps or not. I got the kill....but not the cap. Could I have played the Halland better? Probably not. I would have done the exact same thing again. As I single handedly Pushed two Kremlins to the A line and kept them out of play while damage farming them with torps. My position was probably C and D line, spawning south.

I'm not the best player out there, far from it. But I try to do what I can for the team. This weekend I had some computer issues and was only getting 8 FPS so I stuck to co-op until I got it fixed. But it had me thinking that we all play on different computers, different monitors, different connection speeds, and with different life distractions. Lets try to be nice to one another and enjoy the game. My entire WOWs career has been on a laptop. After 4+ years in the game, I'm just now considering getting a desktop with a 32" monitor. I'm sure a lot of people play on lesser equipment because they have other priorities or financial responsibilities. This could be a factor in their performance. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles

I've had games saved by good chat input from dead players, I've done the same. You can also have some fun on chat, compliment your team mates and enemies. Not every interaction is toxic, and is a bit unfair and limiting to the majority of players to have a game feature limited by a small portion of toxic players. As the previous poster says, if the spam is taxing just mute the guy.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

[KERMT]
Members
1,009 posts
1 hour ago, Cody_The_Destroyer said:

I'm sure this has been brought up before. But I'll throw it out there again. 

Because a small portion of the player base is so toxic and a bunch of snowflakes who blame others after they yolo in and die, why not disable their chat function after they die? Why are dead players allowed to spam chat? I mean, they could be helpful......but the bad outweighs the good. 

I'm sick of kids rushing in, yolo a cap, and dying, then blaming the team because they didn't get support. When the teams largely support two of the three caps. Some criticism is helpful for newer players and should be welcomed from players over a certain WR % or number of games played. But I've seen it from guys with 150 games and 45% WRs. 

One day, I had a 220k game in my Halland and was told I suck. Just yesterday, it was 170k in the Kremlin and its my fault we lost. I was told to uninstall the game and that I suck.  It's a team effort and you have to carry your own weight. The biggest contribution you can have to your team is NOT DYING and deal damage to enemy ships. Or keep them spotted if you're a DD or CV. Could I have played the Krem better yesterday? Absolutely. I should have pushed the Petro I was trying to kill instead of keeping him at 5-8km away. I don't have it yet and I wasn't sure if it had torps or not. I got the kill....but not the cap. Could I have played the Halland better? Probably not. I would have done the exact same thing again. As I single handedly Pushed two Kremlins to the A line and kept them out of play while damage farming them with torps. My position was probably C and D line, spawning south.

I'm not the best player out there, far from it. But I try to do what I can for the team. This weekend I had some computer issues and was only getting 8 FPS so I stuck to co-op until I got it fixed. But it had me thinking that we all play on different computers, different monitors, different connection speeds, and with different life distractions. Lets try to be nice to one another and enjoy the game. My entire WOWs career has been on a laptop. After 4+ years in the game, I'm just now considering getting a desktop with a 32" monitor. I'm sure a lot of people play on lesser equipment because they have other priorities or financial responsibilities. This could be a factor in their performance. 

Yeah sure :) 
My alternative is to turn the chat off, I don't care as I am usually the carry and we get a win. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
44 posts
18,429 battles
16 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Yeah sure :) 
My alternative is to turn the chat off, I don't care as I am usually the carry and we get a win. 

If I'm in a ship I enjoy, there's plenty of carries. I think the Halland game I mentioned was a win.  But the times I have to grind something I dislike, not so much. 

[HINON]
Members
13,278 posts

Why should my chat be restricted because of a few bad apples when there are already ways to block them?

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
2,682 posts
7,502 battles
2 hours ago, Silver_not_grey said:

I strongly support this idea! The strongest salt flows almost exclusively from dead players.

You're half-correct. The strongest salt is from bad players, but they get really uppity when they're dead. Almost all the times I get salt it's from some dunning-kruger wonder who blames everyone but himself, and when they're dead they get even more petulant.

That said, nah, just block them. There's times when dead players are useful and some angry bads don't get to ruin it for everyone.

• Cool 2

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

My brother hasn't played a video game since Frogger.
But he can block someone in a forum faster than I can read what the guy said.
Get in the habit of blocking toxic players, and your game will improve dramatically.

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
667 posts
3,468 battles

just block the offending players. Honestly one thing that surprised me most about WOWS in a positive way is how funny and nice the global chat can be at times (compare that to games where they had to remove that feature because of overall toxicity). And as others pointed out, there were quite a few games where someone in chat gave genuine advice that helped winning the game. Sometimes just someone pointing out the points and time remaining is all you need to realize what you need to do. And specifically at late hours the amount of friendly banter in the chat is surprisingly high.

Don't take that away please, if you would like to change it maybe make the button for muting certain players a bit more obvious.

• Cool 1

Members
3,759 posts
23,357 battles

WeeGee provides tool to ignore toxic players, players still complain because they are too lazy to use it.

Sign in to follow this