Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
P51pilot122

My Thoughts on Odin...

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

38
[DJC]
Members
39 posts
3,404 battles

Alright, here she is, the latest dockyard vessel.

Honestly, I'm just gonna come right out and say, what's with all the hate? Having just unlocked Odin, and played my initial game with her that was over 100k damage done, I found many things I liked about Odin, and very little to dislike.

She seems to combine everything I love about German battleships into one package, and mixing in a bit of super cruiser flavoring. Odin has great armor, with her icebreaker bow, and her weakest armor being 32mm so only 18in guns will overmatch you in very selective spots in the armor. She of course has turtleback as well.

Her guns I found to be very enjoyable, I prefer to use Aim Mod 1 instead of the secondary build most people prefer on German BBs, and I find her ballistics very comfortable. Good shell velocity, and tight groupings that shocked me after I've played other German BBs. They are 305s so penetration can be lackluster at range, but the HE will serve you fine when AP doesn't cut it, but at mid-close range, her AP performs nicely. Also should mention the 23s reload. which is nice, and the 26 second 180 rotation speed with Expert Marksman makes for excellent gun handling.

Her mobility is good, with a tight turning circle for a BB, especially a German BB (although I really like to look at her as a battle cruiser) good rudder shift, especially with the Rudder Module which takes it to 11.2s. Her top speed of 30knts does the job, although Bismarck is faster, it can't sport that rudder and turning circle.

Tirpitz and Bismarck choose between Hydro and Torps, Odin gets both. This makes her perfect for those closer range brawls and flushing out ships in smokescreens.

She does have a lackluster HP pool, but in my mind, if she had the average HP of a tier 8 BB, she's be a tad bit OP. Odin gives you a lot to work with, and will treat you well as long as you do the same for her. Be selective with your engagements, your HP is too low to duke it out for long periods of time. Use the ship's good concealment to stay dark and poke out to take out targets of interest. While Bismarck and Tirpitz are straight up bullys, Odin is a alley way mugger who always catches you at the worst possible time.

Overall, I say she's a worthy premium. I enjoy her and think fans of German BBs will find fun in her. She may be different, but she's versatile and dangerous in the right hands.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles

I have Odin as well and went with a secondary spec, but after several games I am starting to think that while potentially meme-worthy it is not an efficient/effective build.  The dispersion on Odin's secondaries is pretty awful (I did NOT choose MFCS so not a full out secondary spec) and if you are in range to use them you are in serious danger of being focused and sunk quickly.  Odin's armor is quite good, but you will take a lot of regular pen damage and with her sub-par health pool losing even 3-5k per salvo leaves you hurting quickly.  Dispersion on the main guns is quite comfortable and feels much better than other German BBs, though whether it is confirmation bias or real I can't say for certain.  I've not gotten to use the torps much as with only 6km range if you can use them, you probably screwed up and are in deep kimchee.  AP pen has felt inconsistent, HE has a decent fire chance but fairly low direct damage.  Ship is agile for a BB and can torpedobeat or wiggle to mitigate damage quite well. 

I may respec into a survivability/main gun build to see if I can eke a bit more consistency out of her.  The secondaries and torpedoes kind of feel like a trap to me; I think Odin is likely best played in the 12-14km range and on a flank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[DJC]
Members
39 posts
3,404 battles
11 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I have Odin as well and went with a secondary spec, but after several games I am starting to think that while potentially meme-worthy it is not an efficient/effective build.  The dispersion on Odin's secondaries is pretty awful (I did NOT choose MFCS so not a full out secondary spec) and if you are in range to use them you are in serious danger of being focused and sunk quickly.  Odin's armor is quite good, but you will take a lot of regular pen damage and with her sub-par health pool losing even 3-5k per salvo leaves you hurting quickly.  Dispersion on the main guns is quite comfortable and feels much better than other German BBs, though whether it is confirmation bias or real I can't say for certain.  I've not gotten to use the torps much as with only 6km range if you can use them, you probably screwed up and are in deep kimchee.  AP pen has felt inconsistent, HE has a decent fire chance but fairly low direct damage.  Ship is agile for a BB and can torpedobeat or wiggle to mitigate damage quite well. 

I may respec into a survivability/main gun build to see if I can eke a bit more consistency out of her.  The secondaries and torpedoes kind of feel like a trap to me; I think Odin is likely best played in the 12-14km range and on a flank.

Yeah, her healthpool means her endurance in a long fight is lackluster. HE spam and AP pens to the superstructure can leave her hurting quickly. I find not focusing on the secondaries too much and going for the concealment and survivability to be the best suit for her. Her secondaries with MFCS are useful, and the base range of them is enough that I prefer to increase the main gun accuracy over full secondary build.

In the current meta, secondary builds are fun, but kind of a one trick pony. It's too expensive to spec for them, with wasting 8 captain points for MFCS and AFT, and sacrificing main gun consistency for more range and accuracy on the secondaries which you can rarely use to their fullest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
57 posts

Fair points the OP makes - but I don't see this ship as good at anything, especially brawling and surely not sniping.  And not midrange either if you come to think of it.  Certainly not OP in any way. 

Now mind you this is just after after a few games, but the Odin is one of the worst ships in the game so far.  Most ships you are a like "oh yea, I can see where I need to tweek a few areas of my play for this ship as it is weak here, but it makes up for it by having awesome whatever"  I have found no redeeming qualities, not even the torps as I can't get close enough to use them, without burning up.  You can't push, other tier 8 BBs pen you from the front and cruisers even penned me at an angle.  TIER 6 cruisers.  I was nicely to a Nurnburg last game and he is spamming AP at me and getting good damage off of me repeatedly.   And don't even try to go toe to toe with anything w/ bigger guns - a NC was shooting at someone else and about 11km broadside to me going backwards.  I had free shots on him for a while, and the most I could do was a 4K hit, then he turned his guns on me and got easy damage. 

Mobility and torps are ok, not outstanding, but OK.  Torps would be handing in a pinch up close just like Tirp.  Sonar is a nice addition.  Guns are pretty terrible compared to almost any other tier 8 BB.  Low HP pool.  Armor not great.   It really doesn't have anything that makes you smile.  

It also is not scary - I mean that if you see a NC or Bismark or Kii or Amagi or even the brits or french, you are like - I don't want to turn broadside in front of them.  In this ship, unless you are in the weakest cruiser, it doesn't matter, its not going to hurt you much anyway.   That is from having fought several odins and also from shooting cruisers and BBs that turn broadside during the last few games. 

Lets face it, on a BB you want to be able to smack something hard b/c the reload is so long, but you can't do that with this ship.   Even on a broadside nurnburg, with a citadel, the dmg is terrible.

This may be one of those ships that you really have to tailor your gameplay to, but I'm not sure how you are going to do that.  I'd like to see long term stats on this ship, as it is going to need a buff for sure.  It is not competitive with other tier 8s BBs.  

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles
3 hours ago, hermanmelville said:

Fair points the OP makes - but I don't see this ship as good at anything, especially brawling and surely not sniping.  And not midrange either if you come to think of it.  Certainly not OP in any way. 

Now mind you this is just after after a few games, but the Odin is one of the worst ships in the game so far.  Most ships you are a like "oh yea, I can see where I need to tweek a few areas of my play for this ship as it is weak here, but it makes up for it by having awesome whatever"  I have found no redeeming qualities, not even the torps as I can't get close enough to use them, without burning up.  You can't push, other tier 8 BBs pen you from the front and cruisers even penned me at an angle.  TIER 6 cruisers.  I was nicely to a Nurnburg last game and he is spamming AP at me and getting good damage off of me repeatedly.   And don't even try to go toe to toe with anything w/ bigger guns - a NC was shooting at someone else and about 11km broadside to me going backwards.  I had free shots on him for a while, and the most I could do was a 4K hit, then he turned his guns on me and got easy damage. 

Mobility and torps are ok, not outstanding, but OK.  Torps would be handing in a pinch up close just like Tirp.  Sonar is a nice addition.  Guns are pretty terrible compared to almost any other tier 8 BB.  Low HP pool.  Armor not great.   It really doesn't have anything that makes you smile.  

It also is not scary - I mean that if you see a NC or Bismark or Kii or Amagi or even the brits or french, you are like - I don't want to turn broadside in front of them.  In this ship, unless you are in the weakest cruiser, it doesn't matter, its not going to hurt you much anyway.   That is from having fought several odins and also from shooting cruisers and BBs that turn broadside during the last few games. 

Lets face it, on a BB you want to be able to smack something hard b/c the reload is so long, but you can't do that with this ship.   Even on a broadside nurnburg, with a citadel, the dmg is terrible.

This may be one of those ships that you really have to tailor your gameplay to, but I'm not sure how you are going to do that.  I'd like to see long term stats on this ship, as it is going to need a buff for sure.  It is not competitive with other tier 8s BBs.  

 

Honestly, I think Odin can't/shouldn't be played as a true BB.  Play it more like a big cruiser - more like Agir - and I think the results will be better.  Sometimes I wish it had been classed as a cruiser in game, but it is what it is.

Edited by Uncle_Lou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,331
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,441 posts
12,724 battles
4 hours ago, hermanmelville said:

Fair points the OP makes - but I don't see this ship as good at anything, especially brawling and surely not sniping.  And not midrange either if you come to think of it.  Certainly not OP in any way. 

Now mind you this is just after after a few games, but the Odin is one of the worst ships in the game so far.  Most ships you are a like "oh yea, I can see where I need to tweek a few areas of my play for this ship as it is weak here, but it makes up for it by having awesome whatever"  I have found no redeeming qualities, not even the torps as I can't get close enough to use them, without burning up.  You can't push, other tier 8 BBs pen you from the front and cruisers even penned me at an angle.  TIER 6 cruisers.  I was nicely to a Nurnburg last game and he is spamming AP at me and getting good damage off of me repeatedly.   And don't even try to go toe to toe with anything w/ bigger guns - a NC was shooting at someone else and about 11km broadside to me going backwards.  I had free shots on him for a while, and the most I could do was a 4K hit, then he turned his guns on me and got easy damage. 

Mobility and torps are ok, not outstanding, but OK.  Torps would be handing in a pinch up close just like Tirp.  Sonar is a nice addition.  Guns are pretty terrible compared to almost any other tier 8 BB.  Low HP pool.  Armor not great.   It really doesn't have anything that makes you smile.  

It also is not scary - I mean that if you see a NC or Bismark or Kii or Amagi or even the brits or french, you are like - I don't want to turn broadside in front of them.  In this ship, unless you are in the weakest cruiser, it doesn't matter, its not going to hurt you much anyway.   That is from having fought several odins and also from shooting cruisers and BBs that turn broadside during the last few games. 

Lets face it, on a BB you want to be able to smack something hard b/c the reload is so long, but you can't do that with this ship.   Even on a broadside nurnburg, with a citadel, the dmg is terrible.

This may be one of those ships that you really have to tailor your gameplay to, but I'm not sure how you are going to do that.  I'd like to see long term stats on this ship, as it is going to need a buff for sure.  It is not competitive with other tier 8s BBs.  

 

I really want to like this ship so this bums me out . But it looks like you only played 2 games in this ship and you buried it so maybe it wont be so bad after a few more .

I see your a good player so you know what your talking about . I hope your wrong about her I love the German BBs with torps again I really want to like this ship .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,132
[GRETA]
Members
1,433 posts
10,883 battles
57 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I really want to like this ship so this bums me out . But it looks like you only played 2 games in this ship and you buried it so maybe it wont be so bad after a few more .

I see your a good player so you know what your talking about . I hope your wrong about her I love the German BBs with torps again I really want to like this ship .

Don't let the opinions of others sway you regardless of skill.  Ships are like shoes, they don't fit everyone.  I think Odin is quite fun.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[WOLFC]
Members
2,522 posts

If WR is your be all and end all in this game, you will likely be disappointed by Odin - it really suffers when up against Tier X opposition.  Sure, Tier VIII and below is fine but if the pursuit of purple is your goal, this ship is not for you.

 

For the rest (most) of us though, the meme version is a hoot - first ship I have ever taken manual secondaries on and this thing just causes people to regret their life choices.  Couple that with AA that smacks anything VIII or down & the sneaky torps & nobody on red likes you.

 

Be patient, find the time to go in and then go in guns blazing and let er rip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[SMI-1]
Members
8 posts

ODIN is the perfect DD player's BB. Like most German BBs her primaries are simply there for historic accuracy and are a threat to no one over 12 km away.

Anyone closer receives a ton of damage from her AP.

Her life expectancy in battle should be less than eight minutes, but she should take two or three of the dreaded reds with her. This ship is great for charging the creases, showing up unexpectedly and dying in a hail of bullets. 80k damage in six minutes, makes me miss the old days when shira was a beast and flooding was a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[5D]
[5D]
Members
1 post
8,168 battles

3rd game, i think i'm in love.

shot-20.07.18_16.31.30-0109.jpg

Edited by Kblam
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,740
[WOLFG]
Members
12,719 posts
11,838 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

If WR is your be all and end all in this game, you will likely be disappointed by Odin - it really suffers when up against Tier X opposition.  Sure, Tier VIII and below is fine but if the pursuit of purple is your goal, this ship is not for you.

 

 

Odin is my first tier 8 (I have over a 1000 games in JB).  The matchmaking in my "calibration" period has been most enlightening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
57 posts
On 7/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, clammboy said:

I really want to like this ship so this bums me out . But it looks like you only played 2 games in this ship and you buried it so maybe it wont be so bad after a few more .

I see your a good player so you know what your talking about . I hope your wrong about her I love the German BBs with torps again I really want to like this ship .

As noted by other players, don't let this discourage you.  I was disappointed right off,  I really wanted to like a ship that did the grind for.  You see that other players do well with it, and I"m sure this is possible if you play carefully.  One of my gripes would be that in a match where you are a BB, BBs need to be able to fill a certain role - that is just how the game is built.  Almost all the BBs in the game can do that to a degree, but I didn't feel this one could.  Yes you can play it like a cruiser, but that is going to leave your team right off without a heavy on a side where the opponent will have one that can be tanky and dish out the damage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,132
[GRETA]
Members
1,433 posts
10,883 battles
21 minutes ago, hermanmelville said:

As noted by other players, don't let this discourage you.  I was disappointed right off,  I really wanted to like a ship that did the grind for.  You see that other players do well with it, and I"m sure this is possible if you play carefully.  One of my gripes would be that in a match where you are a BB, BBs need to be able to fill a certain role - that is just how the game is built.  Almost all the BBs in the game can do that to a degree, but I didn't feel this one could.  Yes you can play it like a cruiser, but that is going to leave your team right off without a heavy on a side where the opponent will have one that can be tanky and dish out the damage.

 

Different nation BB's fill the role of BB's completely differently.   The Oden fills the role of a BB just fine, it just does it in it's own way.  I do not see the Oden as a liability at all.  When I say it needs to be played more like a heavy cruiser when bottom tier that is not something unique to Oden either. 

Some ships can up tier in  a way that allows for similar play.  Those ships in my experience tend to have a lower skill floor and ceiling.   Gameplay can get stale with them too because there is little room for deviation as to how they can be played effectively.  

Odin on the other hand has many ways she can be effective and that changes based on what can be shooting at you.  Her armor for example can be a blessing when top tier.  You can bully your way around the map with little concern for other BB'S shooting at you.  When you have 18" guns shooting at you however it can become a liability and will require a change in strategy.   Her guns however are much more efficient at killing lighter skinned cruisers than those big 18's so put yourself in places you can use them.

Edited by HallaSnackbar
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
121 posts
232 battles
On 7/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, Kblam said:

3rd game, i think i'm in love.

shot-20.07.18_16.31.30-0109.jpg

Nice!

What build are you using? Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UNC]
Members
953 posts
6,416 battles

After several more games in Odin, I think she is going to sit in port for a while.  Not sure what it is, but any time I am detected in Odin my PT immediately goes to 4+ and the HE just rains down and this ship just melts if you have more than one HE spammer shooting at you.  She doesn't have the health pool to stick around with the HE heavy meta, and I have not been able to keep her into 1v1 situations.  Think I'm gonna let the novelty wear off for a while before I take her out again.  Way too frustrating right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,132
[GRETA]
Members
1,433 posts
10,883 battles
On 7/24/2020 at 11:37 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

After several more games in Odin, I think she is going to sit in port for a while.  Not sure what it is, but any time I am detected in Odin my PT immediately goes to 4+ and the HE just rains down and this ship just melts if you have more than one HE spammer shooting at you.  She doesn't have the health pool to stick around with the HE heavy meta, and I have not been able to keep her into 1v1 situations.  Think I'm gonna let the novelty wear off for a while before I take her out again.  Way too frustrating right now.

Just like you do not commit to a position in a DD until you know where your big threats are (radar cruisers), you do not commit to a position in your Odin until you know where the HE spammers are set up.  This really is not unique to the Odin, just more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[BB-63]
Members
27 posts
2,044 battles
On 7/18/2020 at 4:30 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

Honestly, I think Odin can't/shouldn't be played as a true BB.  Play it more like a big cruiser - more like Agir - and I think the results will be better.  Sometimes I wish it had been classed as a cruiser in game, but it is what it is.

you are correct play it as a large cruiser like Scharnhorst/Agir/Graf Spee and you can do well, because Scharnhorst and Agir are probably from the same design progam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[5D7]
Members
208 posts
8,779 battles

 I think it's a nice ship overall, not OP and also not UNDERPOWERED. Maybe if it were faster than Bismarck it would be a real harasser. 
 To begin on how to play it, not a BB and not CA. Mixed bag of capabilities and therefore it requires a special spec capt to shine, something with a bit of brawling and a bit of cruiser in its set up, you certainly will make good use of the camo skill as it can get it down to 12km and begin this close to this ship is very dangerous no matter your tier. Has a stupendous asset in it secondarie battery and that is full forward firing turrets(the triple 150mm ones) than can set things on fire quite easily, how is this good? It allows you to go full bow on and keep making use of those guns unlike most of the ships with serviceable secondaries. The AA is very decent, will not save you from a determined TX CV but will keep you relatively safe. The torpedo firing arcs is among the best in game(spare the Graf Spee and german forward firing DDs). Armor is excellent, maybe HP a tad low but not game determining.

I have played it with my GK capt(a full secondarie specc) and my Hindenburg capt(a heavy cruiser long range support). I again think a mix between those capt skill sets is what this ship needs, you don't need the full range secondaries as they do not put that much dmg out and you definitely want the camo skill. Manual secs is a must as they will not perform against your main tgts as you would like without it(this being getting up close with a BB and those 150mm setting it on fire quite nicely). The hydro is a bit too short ranged from what one expects from a german ship, but does its job ok.
Id say it could get 8km torps for a considerable improvement and maybe some extra 5/7k HP. Or get a speed buff instead of the aforementioned ones.

Just remember it is not a battleship nor a heavy cruiser, it's a battlecruiser listed as a battleship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×