7 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
164 posts
3,812 battles

Or just skip.

Good book.

Bad movie.

“Zee gray volf is so very hungry. Your vemen vill learn off your dying. And veep into zee long night before zhey turn to zee arms of zheir loafers. Weeeeeeeyoooooooeeeeeeoooooo.”

Members
276 posts
5,116 battles

Saw it a few days back, and I'd Sea Lord has a fair review. I'd give 7/10 as well.

Personally it was entertaining but far from being "one of the greats."

Pros:

• Non-stop action (there's always something going on)
  • Filmed on the Kidd!
  • Tom Hanks
  • The CGI looked really good!

Cons:

• Non-existent character development of Hanks' character or anyone else
  • Score seemed rather generic; same high-pitched whine whenever u-boats are on-screen
  • Non-historical. Didn't bother me but might be a turn-off
  • Germans troll hard. Everything from cat-calling the fleet on comms to pulling off near-suicidal maneuvers on the surface when they definitely didn't need to (think German Tiger leaving a bush to fight Shermans out in the open)

I think the movie could have benefited from a more diverse score and more of a build-up to some of the combat. It was hard to get a suspenseful vibe from the' characters, but you definitely saw the over-worked "what is it now?" personality play out in Hanks' character. Wasn't bad, but definitely lacking in substance.

[LANCE]
Members
795 posts
5,917 battles
13 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Saw it a few days back, and I'd Sea Lord has a fair review. I'd give 7/10 as well.

Personally it was entertaining but far from being "one of the greats."

Pros:

• Non-stop action (there's always something going on)
  • Filmed on the Kidd!
  • Tom Hanks
  • The CGI looked really good!

Cons:

• Non-existent character development of Hanks' character or anyone else
  • Score seemed rather generic; same high-pitched whine whenever u-boats are on-screen
  • Non-historical. Didn't bother me but might be a turn-off
  • Germans troll hard. Everything from cat-calling the fleet on comms to pulling off near-suicidal maneuvers on the surface when they definitely didn't need to (think German Tiger leaving a bush to fight Shermans out in the open)

I think the movie could have benefited from a more diverse score and more of a build-up to some of the combat. It was hard to get a suspenseful vibe from the' characters, but you definitely saw the over-worked "what is it now?" personality play out in Hanks' character. Wasn't bad, but definitely lacking in substance.

Agreed 100% mate. Watched it last night and it left me with a lot of questions due to no character build etc. A good watch to pass time but not a great. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,108 posts
5,512 battles

I quite liked it.  It was some straight-up good action on the high seas as Tom Hanks and his men attempted to survive the U-boat onslaught.

The characterization of the men was very bare-bones, but I thought it was fine because the action was the bigger draw of the film.  If anything, it was like Dunkirk or older war films like Tora! Tora! Tora! - the event overtaking the characters.  This wasn't, for example, Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers - works where the characters were a very important component of the film.

Something for folks to keep in mind is that the film is based off a book - The Good Shepherd by C.S. Forester of Horatio Hornblower fame.  That is where Tom Hanks pulled a lot of his beats from...like, for example, Krause's devotion to his Christian faith.

Sign in to follow this