You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree, July 10-12 2020.

20 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

It was a weekend of fun and irony.

Friday, threw on all the flags and got my 7th 19 point captain.

Saturday, went down to low tiers and put 11,000 XP on the V-170 so that I could unlock the Tier 4 CV Rhein if I had to. So of course on Sunday I finished off a Twitch mission which gave me a German container... and I pulled the Rhein early unlock, didn't I? :Smile_veryhappy: I don't know whether RNGesus is mocking me, or whether I manipulated him into giving me the unlock by doing the grind... :cap_haloween:

Worked on the lead-up missions to the actual tasks for the carriers themselves, which means that once I get the Rhein unlocked her permacamo is only 1500 BXP away.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles

Congrats on the early access!  I puttered around most of the weekend.  Worked on captain's experience with my 19 pointers; worked on the Amagi, and did some towards the KM CV directives.  Otherwise, not much progress.  Was furloughed from work for 8 weeks starting last week; so haven't been much in the mood to play a whole lot.  Maybe do more coming up, IDK.

Edited by chrisope

[_BDA_]
Members
58 posts
3,139 battles

I focused my efforts on getting the Graf Spee and finished a lot sooner than I expected. Pretty much just spammed Sharnhorst in Randoms and Budyonny in Co-Op to do so. 

Edited by cheekywarship2018

Members
3,583 posts
12,963 battles

Colo XP for the USN BB split, and Tallinn for the Petro.

Works nice, since couple of the missions in the Odin directive want USN BB potential dmg, and something I cant remember from RU cruisers. 

Win rate I think is like exactly 50%. Sub par for my own expectations. 

[USCG]
Members
575 posts
19,920 battles

I was lucky enough to pick up the Rhein mission as well on Friday in a daily German container. Quite a surprise! I picked her up yesterday and the Iron Cross camo today. I’m not a CV player (at least in randoms) but I do like her. Managed a random battle with 98K damage! I swear almost every bomb run I picked up one citadel. For some reason I’m more interested in these German CVs than the others, at least at tier 4. 

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles

Well, really didn't play the game that much.....  Took a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th Saturday in Black powder match; and it was so hot, that even a game on imaginary water, wasn't interesting.....  And that's a wrap" didn't do squat.  Now, Monday we finish the Dockyard.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
8 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Took a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th Saturday in Black powder match;

Nice. It's fascinating to think the black powder they used in naval artillery way back when wouldn't even fit down the muzzles of your rifles...

11 hours ago, chrisope said:

Was furloughed from work for 8 weeks starting last week; so haven't been much in the mood to play a whole lot. 

Sorry to hear that. Hope this is a temporary thing with automatic resumption. Me, I'd be playing WOWS to take my mind off that.

After I finished my original post, a small window of opportunity opened up and I grabbed a couple of battles in the Z-23. Managed to be bottom tier in both of those, with a CV in one, and surprised myself by how far up the ladder I finished.

One of them I finished something like fourth (or at least top half) despite hardly shooting at all and torpedoing nothing. I think the two solo base caps and a bucketload of spotting damage must have helped.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
497 posts
11,305 battles

Worked out in my Budy and my Pepsi to refamiliarize myself with those squishy CAs likely to be used in CBs.

T8 BBs wreck those things soooooo bad.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
2 minutes ago, contag10n said:

Worked out in my Budy and my Pepsi to refamiliarize myself with those squishy CAs likely to be used in CBs.

T8 BBs wreck those things soooooo bad.

Pepsi got a thicker bow recently. You might want to have another look at her in that regard, especially since T6 clan battles are coming and you won't have to face opposition outside your own tier.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope this is a temporary thing with automatic resumption. Me, I'd be playing WOWS to take my mind off that.

Thanks!  It's an 8 week thing supposedly, and I keep my benefits and seniority too for that duration.  Still going to look and see what else is out there; a change might do me good (although I just got my NY PE license last week, which might keep me in the northeast for a while depending on work conditions).  I did pull the FXP trigger last night and got the Agir.  Didn't outfit her or sail her at all, but will this week.  Then I can compare it to the Odin.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
32 minutes ago, chrisope said:

Didn't outfit her or sail her at all, but will this week.  Then I can compare it to the Odin.

I almost always take a new ship out in co-op a few times without the module slots. This is particularly the case when I'm trying to decide whether a ship really needs a particular module (e.g. to assist with turret rotation) or can get away with it and take something else. This is especially the case when even the Little White Mouse-level experts disagree on what's best and it comes down to a question of taste.

I'm not sure what I would make of the Agir if I got her right now (I only have 500K FXP after buying the Hayate a couple of months ago). The temptation would be to plug in the modules that accentuated the range and dispersion, seeing as her secondaries are shorter-range affairs.

The little devil on my other shoulder says that I'm a co-op enthusiast and would probably get in close enough to use her secondaries anyway, so build all-in for those (remember that you have slot six for Agir, since she's at Tier 9) and drop my Bismarck captain into her for fun and games. 

My line of thinking about Odin is that if Bismarck is my secondary brawler then Odin should be built as a long-range battlecruiser. (I know people don't like that word and it's not historically correct, but it's a useful placeholder in my head for all the Alaska-Azuma-Scharnhorst-whatever ships that have guns in the 11-12 inch region on fast hulls.) Conversely there's ANOTHER little demon that sits on my shoulder and tells me that Odin - with both torps and hydro, IIRC - should be the secondary-brawl BB and Bismarck should be reconfigured with ASM1 and receive the Bayern's tank-build captain. 

It's complicated nuances like these which both make my decision making difficult and WOWS itself so interesting.

• Cool 1

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's complicated nuances like these which both make my decision making difficult and WOWS itself so interesting.

Agreed.  I didn't really spec Odin for brawling (left the secondaries module off in favor of the ASM1 mod), but might change that in the future, or might see how Agir does with it, even though it has less hit points.  Always second-guessing what to choose, which makes the game interesting, and any free respecs invaluable.

Members
3,089 posts
6,643 battles

I got Agir to have a high-tier German ship other than Bismarck for grinding the directives and CV missions. I don't have any early unlocks and am not expecting to get any, so my goal was to progress my heretofore stagnant Bismarck grind. I got Bismarck in a Sam crate and had done nothing on the German tech tree ships otherwise. I figure a million FXP will come back eventually, I'm already to 700k again. 

I spent all my credits doing major tech tree grinding and outfitting. Advanced Monarch to Lion and got her outfitted and started the base module grind. Advanced Amalfi to Brindisi, same. Finished the Mogador to Kleber grind. I had ground out 240k XP on Riga earlier, so I also bought Petropavlovsk. And I spent most of the time grinding Bismarck and then grinding credits to buy and outfit Friedrich der Große, and slogging through the base module grind there.

In the process of all the Kriegsmarine grinding, also 'finished' (5/6 tasks) three of the four German CV missions and nearly finished (4/6 tasks) the other one.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
12 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I spent

You sound like you had a very expensive weekend. :Smile_coin:

(On the other hand, new toys to play with. :cap_like:

Perhaps you should pop over to my "If our captains could talk" thread and write the rant to end them all, from the Secretary of the Treasury to the Secretary of the Navy. :Smile_trollface:

Members
3,089 posts
6,643 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You sound like you had a very expensive weekend. :Smile_coin:

(On the other hand, new toys to play with. :cap_like:

Perhaps you should pop over to my "If our captains could talk" thread and write the rant to end them all, from the Secretary of the Treasury to the Secretary of the Navy. :Smile_trollface:

I had oodles of credits from not really grinding any tech tree ships for a long time (been stalled on Tier VIII and IX ships and mostly playing premiums for directives and dailies), plus the premium consumable refund, plus the Moskva rebate, etc., so I was sitting on about 130M credits and still used all of it and another 15M or so I earned grinding. I have been running randoms with full econ flags and camos. 

I suspect my newest ships are all stealth models that are undetectable by Congressional budget review.

I'm still working on the base modules on Lion, which is an excruciating grind without modules fitted, either. FDG became much more playable once I had MBM3 mounted. Brindisi is a lot of fun, I am sad that I am going to unlock Venezia just in time for the second nerf bat round, so my only un-nerfed experience with her will be as a victim. I am about 33% of the way to Venezia. I haven't played or outfitted Petropavlovsk yet, and while Kleber is outfitted, I am really no good with the French DDs.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Nice. It's fascinating to think the black powder they used in naval artillery way back when wouldn't even fit down the muzzles of your rifles...

To this day, you can purchase "Cannon Powder..."  A great many re-enactment friends of mine own Civil War cannons....  Another owns the hand cranked 37mm anti-torpedo boat Gatling gun from the USS Maine......  I've posted pictures of it on this site before because if IS one of the Maine's guns and was fully restored to an Army version.....  Shoots 12 Gauge shells in 37mm fabricated cases (love laser mapping and multi-axis CNC machines !!!)....  A while back now, they'd have "cannon matches" locally and shoot "Hedge Apples" at 200 yards for accuracy (in the early fall when them buggers are like lime green rocks).............sort of for accuracy (hahaha)........but, they had a blast......  At Fort Sill, they were using real ammunition a while back and a great many traveled there to really shoot "war shots".......   Now that, is something I can see doing.....  I've helped restore tanks (because I am an armor officer....) and there is a tank restoration team where I live so........that's enough for me. 

And, Saturday was a terrible, terrible day to shoot...  I HATE sweating; dripping all over rifles and pistols.....yuk !  I usually take the hottest part of the Summer off.....    More time for this game !!!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
4 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I was sitting on about 130M credits and still used all of it and another 15M or so I earned grinding.

I don't think I ever got into the fifty millions before something came along that required going full Shirley Bassey right then and there (e.g. half-price modules at a time when Clan Battles rentals were available to store them on and I'd just acquired new ships to fit out).

But hey, so long as I'm not reduced to grinding the Black Swan to get me out of debt it's all fine, right? :Smile_veryhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
10 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Another owns the hand cranked 37mm anti-torpedo boat Gatling gun from the USS Maine...

CIWS before CIWS was a thing.

(I read somewhere that Gatling himself lived long enough to see an electric motor put onto one of his guns, with impressive results.)

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

CIWS before CIWS was a thing.

(I read somewhere that Gatling himself lived long enough to see an electric motor put onto one of his guns, with impressive results.)

You should try the hand cranked ones !!!  Now THAT takes some chutzpah !

image.thumb.png.332d6de4af5cbb335a4fd5e60be1347b.png

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles

Or, in it's configuration today after being restored.....

image.thumb.png.39a99d9b7e9d6b3c27ed0a033e01edff.png

Notice in the background that this is a SASS Cowboy Action Shoot.....  The weapon has fragment damage on the breech and brass collar when the Maine blew up.....  This caisson is hand made from US Library of Congress blueprints.  All of it.

The ammunition cart isn't pictured.  My friend recreated about a dozen 37mm cases with sub-caliber devices built in for 12 gauge shells.....  It is a blast to shoot !!!  And, tough because those barrels aren't light.

I added this for the "purists" and those whom might "appreciate" a lot of skill and the art of saving History..........