Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ombromondo

Italian ships smoke error

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

90
[RM-I]
Members
350 posts
27,380 battles

Hello everyone,
in my opinion there is a bug or illogical when an italian ship launches protective smoke and at the same time an enemy dd is inside the smoke at a detection distance.

I give a practical example:
The Italian ship is 12 km from the enemy dd. The dd launches the smoke and stops inside it. The Italian ship still remains visible. As it approaches the dd, the Italian ship launches protective smoke. The Italian ship remains visible (????)).

What sense does such a thing have? but, I say, at least a minimum of difference. There are 2 smokes that should, at the very least, increase the protection of Italian ships, but no, it is equally visible.

Any comments?

Edited by Ombromondo
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,115 posts
6,705 battles

If the DD smokes and there are no other ships spotting for it and you're outside the guaranteed detection range and are not currently affected by your gun bloom, then you, too, are undetected. There's nothing about Italian fuel smoke that operates differently than normal smoke from a concealment point of view. It's just harder to get used to because your gun bloom is so large that you can't fire from smoke nearly as close as you can with a destroyer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[RM-I]
Members
350 posts
27,380 battles
3 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

If the DD smokes and there are no other ships spotting for it and you're outside the guaranteed detection range and are not currently affected by your gun bloom, then you, too, are undetected. There's nothing about Italian fuel smoke that operates differently than normal smoke from a concealment point of view. It's just harder to get used to because your gun bloom is so large that you can't fire from smoke nearly as close as you can with a destroyer.

read well, because perhaps you did not grasp the meaning of the speech well, or, it could be that using googletranslate, it was translated incorrectly.
In any case, we are both in smoke, both. Why is the Italian ship visible?

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,115 posts
6,705 battles
Just now, Ombromondo said:

read well, because perhaps you did not grasp the meaning of the speech well, or, it could be that using googletranslate, it was translated incorrectly.
In any case, we are both in smoke, both. Why is the Italian ship visible?

You can be detected in smoke for three different reasons.

1. You got detected by radar or hydroacoustic search.

2. You were within the guaranteed detection range of another ship. Press 'H' in game to see your detection ranges.

3. You had fired your guns within the previous 20 seconds and were suffering the associated temporary stealth penalty - "gun bloom," from doing so, and an enemy ship was within that temporary detection range.

Italian cruisers have larger guaranteed detection ranges than destroyers because they're larger ships. So it's possible that you were within your guaranteed detection range while still being outside his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[RM-I]
Members
350 posts
27,380 battles
6 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

You can be detected in smoke for three different reasons.

1. You got detected by radar or hydroacoustic search.

2. You were within the guaranteed detection range of another ship. Press 'H' in game to see your detection ranges.

3. You had fired your guns within the previous 20 seconds and were suffering the associated temporary stealth penalty - "gun bloom," from doing so, and an enemy ship was within that temporary detection range.

Italian cruisers have larger guaranteed detection ranges than destroyers because they're larger ships. So it's possible that you were within your guaranteed detection range while still being outside his.

I think i know how the game works .. i have 24k games.
The thing that does not work and that you are spotted when both 2 ships are inside the smoke and there is no radar that is detecting you.

I make it easy:
You have a light on, I have a light on. You turn off the light and I don't see you anymore ... I turn off the light and I'm visible ... is it clearer now?

Edited by Ombromondo
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,115 posts
6,705 battles
5 minutes ago, Ombromondo said:

I think i know how the game works .. i have 24k games.
The thing that does not work and that you are spotted when both 2 ships are inside the smoke and there is no radar that is detecting you.

I make it easy:
You have a light on, I have a light on. You turn off the light and I don't see you anymore ... I turn off the light and I'm visible ... is it clearer now?

How is this not an effect of the different guaranteed detection ranges between your ships? What was the distance between your ship and the other ship? If you know how the game works, why are you here asking questions?

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[RM-I]
Members
350 posts
27,380 battles
2 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

How is this not an effect of the different guaranteed detection ranges between your ships? What was the distance between your ship and the other ship? If you know how the game works, why are you here asking questions?

But did you understand what I'm writing? Um ... I don't think so

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[Y0L0]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,743 posts
5,511 battles
49 minutes ago, Ombromondo said:

But did you understand what I'm writing? Um ... I don't think so

Yes.. We do understand what you wrote. The advice given to you is correct.

 

See here. Taken from wiki after a 5 second google search on how to smoke in warships. You can use google as well to do all sorts of searches for things you want to learn more about. It is really nifty, try it sometime.

 

Firing in Smoke

A ship sailing peaceably along has a certain detection radius. However, the moment she lights off her main battery, she becomes visible from considerably farther away. This is due to 'gun bloom' — the flame and smoke from her rifles. With clear visibility, the ship's detection range becomes the same as her main gun range.

There is a similar effect when firing in smoke. A ship sitting quietly in smoke is invisible outside 2.0km (barring the use of radar or hydro). When she fires her main batteries, her detection range increases, although not as much as firing in the open.

The amount the ship's detection range increases tends to track the main gun caliber, as does the type of ship. Roughly, the smoke firing detection ranges of DDs varies between 20-25% of the clear firing range, cruisers 35-55%, and BBs 65-100%. Battleships gain little from firing in smoke.

Pan Asian Pan-Asia cruisers have a considerable advantage: they have almost no detection range increase when firing in smoke.

Upon firing the main guns, the ship's detection range increases. If no enemy ship detects it, the range immediately drops back to the non-firing detection range. If an enemy ship does detect it, the ship remains spotted for at least 20 seconds before the range reverts to the non-firing detection range. Of course, firing again resets the 20 second timer.

Note well that while gun bloom may not cause the ship to become detected, the muzzle flashes and tracers themselves are visible to the enemy from a considerable distance, and may be quite sufficient for accurate counter-fire.

For more information on how the spotting and detection system works in World of Warships, please see the Detection article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
528
[GRAVE]
Members
1,273 posts
18,802 battles
1 hour ago, Ombromondo said:

The Italian ship is 12 km from the enemy dd. The dd launches the smoke and stops inside it. The Italian ship still remains visible.

This part is logical, ship spotted by firing in open water or another ship is within spotting distance of the Italian ship (11-12.6km depending on Italian ship) 

1 hour ago, Ombromondo said:

As it approaches the dd, the Italian ship launches protective smoke. The Italian ship remains visible (????)).

And here we have smoke detection bloom at work. Four things could of happened here (I’m using Venezia values as my example)

1: Venezia pops smoke, but fires it’s guns at another ship within 9.9km from it, causing Venezia to be spotted

2: The Venezia manages to close the 2km gap to the smoked up DD, fires at a ship more than 9.9km away, and the smoked DD smoke spots the Venezia

3: the Venezia fires at a target within 9.9km of a ship before popping smoke, but will still be spotted for 20secs afterwards

4: somehow the Venezia managed to get into range of German hydro or the Venezia captain failed to notice a radar ship in the area and said radar ship popped radar

some more context and/or a replay would help in exactly what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,759 posts
23,357 battles

OP make it easy on everyone and post the replay file because the responses have been correct related to your original post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×