You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

The Great Blasto Naval Doctrine

20 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Never have more than 50 ships in your fleet. Never.

Even with just 50 you are unlikely to master half.

So it's crazy to have 100 plus ships.

The solution is to cull the bad ones out regularly.

Today TGB culls with chainsaw, framing hammer, and woodchipper. 

:Smile_child:

• Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[BB35]
Beta Testers
3,112 posts
25,950 battles

Never Joey will I get rid of my 373 ships never Joey ..........................

• Haha 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,034 posts
17,512 battles

I used to sell every ship I finished and kept only a few that I liked, but then WG came out with Snowflakes which triggered my inner hoarder.  And then they started doing very specific Directives, like main battery hits in Fr BBs only.  Plus, they're giving away port slots for free...

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,192 posts
16,909 battles

Philadelphia's 'mothball fleet': Uncertain future awaits ships ...

They all sit, patiently waiting to get their chance at glory one last time. 

[DOG]
Members
692 posts
11,834 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

And how did you happen to pick (what appears to be) an arbitrary number that you are recommending as a hard limit for EVERYONE regardless of ability and desires?

Once you have completed all the research on the ship it becomes elite and yes you could then sell it (since there's nothing more to research). However, unless you need to port slots or the credits it does no harm to keep the ship and if you liked playing it once you might come back now and then to play it some more.  Then there's the snowflake events and all the other mission tasks that require specific nations and ship types.  I happen to have 153 ships and 18 open port slots (3 of which are reserved for the ships being re-acquired due to ship line resets for research bureau) and typically don't sell ships after tier IV.  I have 165M credits too, so I'm not personally in a situation where I have to sell a ship.

If scrolling through the port is viewed as a problem with a large number of ships, you can set it to have multiple rows and the filters work very nice to get a smaller number as actives.

Members
3,759 posts
23,331 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

The solution is to cull the bad ones out regularly.

Today TGB culls with chainsaw, framing hammer, and woodchipper. 

My ghost ships will always stand at the ready.

It's fun to say pull out a Mikasa, Vampire, Kuma or Nurnberg and go have fun sometimes. Really need to put a captain back in Svietlana & Fiji come to think of it.

[VFW]
Members
1,424 posts
29,261 battles

Blasto being Blasto....

Will not get rid of my 232 ships.  They are like golf clubs, each helps for different parts of the game.  The more clubs, the more flex I have to finish directives, missions, tasks, campaigns, etc...

vr

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,588 posts

I don't need to be a master of every tool I have in my toolbox.  I need to know how to use the tool well enough, to get the job done.  What I do need to do the job though, is the tools.

Can I use a sledge hammer to get the job done when what I really need is a finishing hammer?  Sure, it will get me through.  If I already have a finishing hammer though, I am not going to just throw it away. 

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

BREAKING!

Today's great culling has been postponed for the short term to allow a thorough review of the doctrine.

The fleet thus will remain at a bloated 59 ships, including the un-asked for Rhein.

:cap_hmm:

[STW-N]
Members
4,090 posts
9,562 battles

I grind every single line as a way of learning the strengths and weaknesses of both.

It also helps with fulfilling combat missions—having a greater variety of ships allows for a higher chance of completing missions.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

I have kept my fleet around 50 ships on avg for two reasons.

1. I hate scrolling endlessly to find the right ship for the mood I'm in.

2. I either love or hate a ship.  I have to banish the hated ones such as Molotov, Pensacola, Omaha, Texas, etc.

[WOOK3]
Members
4,214 posts
3,235 battles

Favorite the ships you like, ignore the rest. Filter on favorite ships. That's the Wombat doctrine.

[A-D-F]
7,588 posts
17 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have kept my fleet around 50 ships on avg for two reasons.

1. I hate scrolling endlessly to find the right ship for the mood I'm in.

2. I either love or hate a ship.  I have to banish the hated ones such as Molotov, Pensacola, Omaha, Texas, etc.

1.  This is the reason we have filters in port.  I have over 240 ships at the moment.  Using the filter, I can narrow the list of ships down to what I am looking for in a few seconds.  There is no scrolling needed.

2.  I don't love all 240+ ships in my port, not even close. My favorites are a select few.  It isn't about what I like or don't like though, it's about having the best tool for the job ready to go, when I need it. 

With WG giving out free port slots in missions, it costs me nothing to keep ships that I earned.  It can only hurt me later to need one, that I sold (for half of what I paid for it).  There is no benefit to "culling" or "banishing".

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,104 battles

355, and my fleet IS culled. Just use the multiple tier carousel and use filters. 

77 vacant slots. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

For the record, I have certain fleets grayed out in the carousel and have 73 vacant port slots.

I just want ships that I am good at--although admittedly that's going to be a small number.

[A-D-F]
7,588 posts
4 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

For the record, I have certain fleets grayed out in the carousel and have 73 vacant port slots.

I just want ships that I am good at--although admittedly that's going to be a small number.

Then just keep your filter as it is, so you only pay attention to the ships you like playing most of the time.  There is no harm in that.

Do as you wish of course, but with all those free port slots, there is no logical reason not to use them to keep ships around that might be useful in the future. 

I have found over the years that people that constantly sell off ships for...feelings I guess, are often the ones that also complain that event missions are "too hard" because they don't have the ships needed to make the missions easy.

The way to make the game work for you, is to have the ships needed to make the game requirements easy.  It's a snow ball effect.  The more you have, the easier it becomes to get more.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,189 posts

I break my fleet down to 3 categories; Favs, Grinders, and Shitsngiggles and my doctrine is grab all i can because every one fits into one of those .

[NGA]
Members
1,985 posts
11,781 battles

I pretty much keep every ship that I have fun with. Plus every tier VIII+ ship with snowflakes and the like.

[IMP]
205 posts
4,602 battles

I try to keep all my ships in port, and my ultimate goal is to give every single one of them a 6 points captain, minimum. Also you can hold a captain in them without having to run out of spaces in your reserve.. I used to do that a lot in WoT in which I used old tanks as "barracks" to keep some crewmembers from disappearing.