You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Well Got Curious and Tried Secondary Build CV

42 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

My curiosity finally got the better of my and tried A. Parseval with full secondary build utilizing my Bismarck 19 point secondary build captain, secondary flags, and secondary gun modules on the CV. Then took it into Co-Op on a trial run, and the results were somewhat promising relying only on secondary guns, concealment, and speed for dealing damage.

87A3E426-EEE7-4EE2-8604-C5A3CA27F6D7.thumb.png.0d1f3f55dbb2d0babf1c7af2439ed73b.png

• Cool 6

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,375 battles

Glad to hear that is possible to at least somewhat mimic what can be done with the Zep  :cap_rambo: 

Still will hate the aiming receptacle with these new line CVs 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,842 posts
22,750 battles
22 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

My curiosity finally got the better of my and tried A. Parseval with full secondary build utilizing my Bismarck 19 point secondary build captain, secondary flags, and secondary gun modules on the CV. Then took it into Co-Op on a trial run, and the results were somewhat promising relying only on secondary guns, concealment, and speed for dealing damage.

87A3E426-EEE7-4EE2-8604-C5A3CA27F6D7.thumb.png.0d1f3f55dbb2d0babf1c7af2439ed73b.png

Holy mother of secondaries :Smile_ohmy:

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles
25 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Nice!  :cap_look::cap_like:

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Holy mother of secondaries :Smile_ohmy:

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

Nice!  :cap_look::cap_like:

Yeah I told my team I was not crazy, told them my build, that I was testing the secondary build, and they were actually really nice about the idea.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I told my team I was not crazy, told them my build, that I was testing the secondary build, and they were actually really nice about the idea.

Now I'm even more interested in trying it for myself.  Thanks.  :-)

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Now I'm even more interested in trying it for myself.  Thanks.  :-)

Yep just explain at battle and odds are they will be ok with it. :Smile_smile:

Don't forget auxiliary modules Mod for slot 1 as I think it helped stay intact during the battle which resulted in more hits.

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yep just explain at battle and odds are they will be ok with it. :Smile_smile:

Don't forget auxiliary modules Mod for slot 1 as I think it helped stay intact during the battle which resulted in more hits.

That makes sense.  The 100% chance of survival from damage to secondary & AA battery guns keeps all available guns in action.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,375 battles

As I do not have the Parseval yet...  does it even have the same caliber of secondaries..  Thought the 150mm was unique to the GZ ?  ( for CVs) 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

That makes sense.  The 100% chance of survival from damage to secondary & AA battery guns keeps all available guns in action.

Yes it does really help, and is an often forgotten asset in ship builds as so often ships instead need main battery and torpedo tubes protection. But in ships like Yamato class where the main turrets are so well armored that they do not require the added protection you can get creative and have far more long lasting AA and secondary guns. CVs have sometimes wondered how in the world my Yamato’s AA is so good and aside from upgrades it’s the fact I have it able to stay intact far longer than usual.

And in the case of a second gunned CV you once again have a case of it needing that secondary protection module and being able to use it.

7 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

As I do not have the Parseval yet...  does it even have the same caliber of secondaries..  Thought the 150mm was unique to the GZ ?  ( for CVs) 

You can always go to tech tree and hit preview ship to see all it’s specs.

But I will tell you as well. The A. Parseval has 6x2 of the 105mm German dual purpose secondary guns. That are positioned single file 3 fore and 3 aft of the superstructure so that they can fire off to either side.

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles

Which is why "bow tanking" is less useful for CV's.  
They don't have the armor to prevent penetrations of the bow, and their firing arcs are to the port or starboard (with a blind-spot at the bow & stern) instead of in a 360-degree arc of targeting.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,375 battles
17 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You can always go to tech tree and hit preview ship to see all it’s specs.

But I will tell you as well. The A. Parseval has 6x2 of the 105mm German dual purpose secondary guns. That are positioned single file 3 fore and 3 aft of the superstructure so that they can fire off to either side.

LOL your right... I just kinda got excited  when I saw your original post thinking the August would have as many secondary guns as the GZ (14) versus just (6) .  Sad to see it will have only  1 more gun than the Tier VI Weser.    

Still as you indicated setting it up for a secondary build may be the way to go. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
44 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Can you stealth fire the secondaries?

How about with Richtofen?

No I  can’t stealth fire secondary guns as the A. Parseval with just the concealment module has  11.8 detection range and secondary guns only stretch out to 10.6 with all possible secondary upgrades applied. My Bismarck has full secondary build that has to forego Concealment Expert for Manual secondary gun skill.

If Concealment Expert is in the captain build along with concealment module your concealment drops down to 10.6km which is the same range as the secondary guns. Which is as close to stealth firing the secondary guns as you can get. So if your secondary guns are at work you will be detected unless a DD smokes up your ship for you.

[TARK]
Members
6,523 posts
2,505 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

No I  can’t stealth fire secondary guns as the A. Parseval with just the concealment module has  11.8 detection range and secondary guns only stretch out to 10.6 with all possible secondary upgrades applied. My Bismarck has full secondary build that has to forego Concealment Expert for Manual secondary gun skill.

If Concealment Expert is in the captain build along with concealment module your concealment drops down to 10.6km which is the same range as the secondary guns. Which is as close to stealth firing the secondary guns as you can get. So if your secondary guns are at work you will be detected unless a DD smokes up your ship for you.

With Richtofen, the sea concealment can get down to 11km, without considering camo.

The range of secondaries can be pushed to 10.8km.

Slap a cammo on her and I bet she can stealth fire...

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,238 battles

So the lack of the 150mm guns on those German CV's aren't much of a problem then? Noice.

They are missing the powerful 150mm guns on Graf Zeppelin, just to note. And the gun layout of A. Parseval is exactly the same as GZ, minus the 150mm guns.

Members
3,085 posts
6,617 battles
8 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

So the lack of the 150mm guns on those German CV's aren't much of a problem then? Noice.

They are missing the powerful 150mm guns on Graf Zeppelin, just to note. And the gun layout of A. Parseval is exactly the same as GZ, minus the 150mm guns.

Someone said it was a bit like comparing Massachusetts secondaries to Bismarck secondaries, but the German 105s get quarter pen.

[CLUMP]
Members
813 posts
1,160 battles

At least DDs will think twice about attacking german CVs unless they want to get rekt by secondaries :Smile_playing:

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,375 battles

Welp I finally got the August and yup I followed you all's example configured it for the secondary's and yes they work quite well...  Thank you very much.       Actually have more fun with it than the Graf Zeppelin as the planes are just plain pitiful.   Least with the August you can actually obtain a half way decent torp rate hits....  where as with the Graf Z  you it is a wild guess which way your torps will run.  Also not even going to get into the blasted Bomber fiasco.         

[MR-1]
Members
81 posts
10,906 battles
On 7/12/2020 at 8:23 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I did something similar with the Weser using my Commander from my Graf Zeppelin, Everyone was like you are going to die, you are not a Zeppelin!!!!! 

• Funny 2

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles
On 7/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, LastRemnant said:

At least DDs will think twice about attacking german CVs unless they want to get rekt by secondaries :Smile_playing:

A Tier-8 German CV?  Sure.

But Tier-4 Rhein is not gonna scare away any DD.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
5,417 posts
10,469 battles
4 hours ago, devildog0416 said:

I did something similar with the Weser using my Commander from my Graf Zeppelin, Everyone was like you are going to die, you are not a Zeppelin!!!!! 

:Smile_veryhappy:

Weser starts out with fewer guns and they have a shorter range.
I think she's a competent CV at Tier-6, but won't be looking to go brawling (except perhaps versus a de-planed Saipan?).  :-)

[CLUMP]
Members
813 posts
1,160 battles
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

A Tier-8 German CV?  Sure.

But Tier-4 Rhein is not gonna scare away any DD.  :-)

I guess so still though :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

Having IFHE would be worth something to get for the 105mm mounts as it would allow 32mm BB plating pen.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles

I set them all up, along with Capt's for secondary's. Even the T4 (better than you think with so few guns). I don't PVP so in Co-op the best offense for them with such god awful weak planes is secondary's.  They aren't GZ good but not too bad. You just play it almost like a Cruiser. Head for nearest cap, use torp planes to attack DD's on way, then when in range manually control ship and let secondary guns do their thing. Use planes late when you can. Have had some "decent results". MS and IFHE I think will be called for if you go this route (if my math is right IFHE will give 32MM pen which is big). I only have 14pts on the Capt I am training up right now so no IFHE but BFT/AFT/MS and Parseval does pretty good. Rhein and Weser do well too BUT don't benefit from MS as much and with shorter ranges it is harder to get them shooting. The KM CV's plane offense is so weak the secondary guns actually do more it seems.

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

• Cool 3