You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

WG: shot across the bow with sync droppers

83 comments in this topic

Members
747 posts

Has WG indicated a policy re: sync dropping? I just had six (SIX!) players from the same clan wind up on my team in Random, and was curious as to what, if anything, was being done about this likely semi-rare thing. It can't be that hard to see if more than three people from the same clan wind up in the same battle, and then ban said players for a brief period of time as a warning.

Edited by guns_at_last_light
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 9
  • Meh 5

Members
437 posts
13,482 battles

I have a feeling that Wargaming doesn't care... about anything.  The gaming experience is been on a continuous decline.  Clans are talking boycott of clan battles because of CVs.  Most games are a blowout because of the crap matchmaker.  It's perplexing.  Syncdropping could be fixed by a few lines of code. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[BOTES]
Members
2,192 posts
8,072 battles

Most of the clans who syncdrop tend to be so awful that they actually hurt their teams. You would literally have a better team pulling random players.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles

ITT: "They are doing something I don't agree with, ban them!"

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 3

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Has WG indicated a policy re: sync dropping? I just had six (SIX!) players from the same clan (Mike Hotel Golf) wind up on my team in Random, and was curious as to what, if anything, was being done about this likely semi-rare thing. It can't be that hard to see if more than three people from the same clan wind up in the same battle, and then ban said players for a brief period of time as a warning.

I will say not all sink drops are bad. For example some of my clan mates and I have sync dropped couple battles here and there in Randoms. And have not committed any dishonest behavior in doing so. On the contrary we go all out to try and sink each other, so it’s by no means done in a way to gain unfair advantage. And all the players involved in the sync drop are good players and we genuinely try and help our teams as well as do our best to fight the opposing team.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,413 battles
4 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Most of the clans who syncdrop tend to be so awful that they actually hurt their teams. You would literally have a better team pulling random players.

Any thing other than opinion to back that up or is this just a feeling?

[A-I-M]
Members
3,063 posts
13,322 battles
1 minute ago, vikingno2 said:

Any thing other than opinion to back that up or is this just a feeling?

Yyyeesssss, this thread was soooo data-driven prior to his post, wasn’t it?

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles
15 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yyyeesssss, this thread was soooo data-driven prior to his post, wasn’t it?

Actually yes. OP listed an exact number. Six. Six players from the same clan in his battle. He didn't go into detail about why that was apparently a bad thing and his histrionics about the very idea of people wanting to play together being punishable by not being allowed to play the game at all for some time was a bit entitled, but hey, he offered actual numbers.

• Haha 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles

I still don't understand the problem here.  Why do people have a problem with trying to play together?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts
5 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

I still don't understand the problem here.  Why do people have a problem with trying to play together?

Over whelming force if the group is any good and on comms.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles
3 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

If they end up all on the same team. If they're any good. If they do comms. That's a lot of if.

• Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
3,063 posts
13,322 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Actually yes. OP listed an exact number. Six. Six players from the same clan in his battle. He didn't go into detail about why that was apparently a bad thing and his histrionics about the very idea of people wanting to play together being punishable by not being allowed to play the game at all for some time was a bit entitled, but hey, he offered actual numbers.

Six players did something. Sufficient data do impose a ban policy. Sure, Mike, sure.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
10 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times our divs have ended up on the same team and even when we did we were still fighting a team of other people.  I just don't see the ire here, if you are so against it then why not against divs in general?  I think you should maybe stop having a meltdown Malcolm, take a chill pill Phil, relax  Max?

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Six players did something. Sufficient data do impose a ban policy. Sure, Mike, sure.

Six players. OP never specified whether they actually did something or not. Just. Six players. And OP is calling for a ban policy. Now you see my problem with the OP.

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,854 battles

To answer your question, OP...No, WG has not done anything about synch dropping, because there's nothing wrong with it.  I agree.  Multiple players from the same clan in the same battle doesn't, in and of itself, cause any sort of problem that I can see.  Human nature being what it is, I suppose someone COULD use it dishonestly, some how.  But I've never seen any evidence of nefarious intent or result from synch dropping.  If some one can show me the actual bad effects, I might change my mind, but so far, no one has ever done that.

• Cool 3

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,413 battles
5 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Has WG indicated a policy re: sync dropping? I just had six (SIX!) players from the same clan (Mike Hotel Golf) wind up on my team in Random, and was curious as to what, if anything, was being done about this likely semi-rare thing. It can't be that hard to see if more than three people from the same clan wind up in the same battle, and then ban said players for a brief period of time as a warning.

Sorry never addressed the original question.   The answer: no with the exception of Ranked and to some extent ranked sprints.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts

If people want to play together, there's always a division.

Outside of division, there needs to be a random hidden factor in how long it takes to actually get into the queue, so that gaming the matchmaker is futile.

• Boring 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,366 battles

Sync drops with divisions are foolhardy unless the server population is high enough to guarantee multiple divisions per team.  Otherwise you are going to end up facing the other division since mm tries to balance divisions. Since one div will certainly lose, it's a dumb idea to begin with, so additional punishment seems unneeded.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
6 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Otherwise you are going to end up facing the other division

Yup, this is the optimal result in my opinion.  The best times re fighting against your clan mates!

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,146 posts
8,353 battles
5 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

If more than 3 clan members wind up in the same battle, that's on MM, not the players.

To avoid bans under your suggestion, clans would have to coordinate NOT hitting "Battle" within a certain timeframe. Everyone would have to be on voice. Only one div at a time could enter the queue, with the next having to wait until the first got in a battle. That's ridiculous.

If anything, (and I don't think it necessary) MM should be made to not allow more than 3 members of a clan per match.

Regardless, it's impossible to regulate clanless/players from differing clans from doing it, so not a huge point to bothering.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles
19 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Outside of division, there needs to be a random hidden factor in how long it takes to actually get into the queue, so that gaming the matchmaker is futile.

Why?

There already is a random factor: whether they end up on the same team or opposite teams.

[F4E]
Members
283 posts
7,118 battles

My clan will attempt synch drops if there are more than three people on and interested in playing in/with a division...it ends up feeling like a 50-50 proposition (at best) as to whether you can get into the same match on the same side...you may end up in different matches and you often end up on opposing teams...and then the voice comms become smack-talk because the other side hears it.

I don’t see the big problem — there are other issues that WG could fix with bigger payoff.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,413 battles

I see allot of explaining but know one has stated why it wrong or bad?

• Cool 1

[F4E]
Members
283 posts
7,118 battles

I believe that OP thinks it confers an unfair advantage on the side that ends up with six clan mates.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

Why?

There already is a random factor: whether they end up on the same team or opposite teams.

To avoid even the appearance of, or opportunity for, shenanigans.

For all the objections of "but clanmates want to shoot each other even more!" that's not what I think happens, but I'm a horrible cynic, right?

PS: the idea of bans is silly, and there are far more important things than this that WG needs to work on, from Ops being broken to restoring some basic functions to the "Equipment" tab to etc.

Edited by KilljoyCutter