Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Remembering Torpedo Alley

7 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,815 battles

Back in late 2015 when I first started stories of the legendary Torpedo Alley came to my attention as I worked my way up from Tier 1 through to 4 at the time I was focusing on Coop.

Reading the chat in game and the posts on the website forum about knife fights with your DD's and the famous Big Race map, sure there were other maps  that had there fare share of notoriety for knife fights, but heading into The Alley was a Test of Character and Trial of Strength.

My early experience was in Coop but the BOTS were not really the adversaries up to the challenge.

When I finally went into Random mode and landed in Big Race the moment had arrived and it could be brutal at times players in Tier 3, 4 and 5's depending on Tier match immediately charge the channel in a frontal attack in there DD's against there opposite numbers like a fixed bayonet charge while some would move into ambush position behind islands sweep out and fire and if you were lucky strike hard if not you then the ensuing circling battle would happen.

Many a newbie perished time and time again including me as our ships were smashed to pieces remorselessly.

The carnage and bloodbaths that sometimes ensued as players had there metal tested, GLORIOUS !!!!!!

True even in the higher tiers back then the knife fight was  king of destroyers battle sailing around firing guns waiting for your tubes to load hoping to dodge your enemies spread and get the kill shot.

Nowadays Destroyer game play is stealth attack with " torpedo reload  booster " radar, RDF , fire from 20 k because of flame throwing cruisers, hide in smoke and hydro.

The knife fight is around but its a dying art we never used this modern crap like hydro just your eyes to save you, it was cold steel, kill or be killed 

GLORY DAYS

LONG LIVE TORPEDO ALLEY  

Big Race DD Strat. - Imgur

Maps found in Random Battles - Game Support and Bug Reporting ...

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 4

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,380 posts
20,047 battles

Those were the best days weren't they. when you didn't know what was around the next corner lol a lot of excitement was lost with RPF

Remember Solomon Islands back in the day turn around either corner at the beginning never knowing what was there lol good times

Edited by SilverPhatShips

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,815 battles
6 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

Those were the best days weren't they. when you didn't know what was around the next corner lol a lot of excitement was lost with RPF

Remember Solomon Islands back in the day turn around either corner at the beginning never knowing what was there lol good times

Solomon's would go close to being still one the best maps in game today, agree 100% with turning corners,but oh man catching a lumbering battleship in the centre channel, the mouth salivates, I learned real fast if i was going to push the centre don't go alone, and if you broke through in strength, those were times.

God if i could some how get a count of how many torpedoes I sent down there at on coming ships the bill would be enormous :Smile_teethhappy:

cheers :Smile_honoring:

[SALVO]
Members
4,474 posts
3,829 battles

2016 class here. Wonderful memories indeed. Low tiers were a lot of fun, I enjoyed my newbie time so much back then. :Smile_playing:

cheers !

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,430 battles

What you refer to as Torpedo Alley is what I refer to as the 'Big Bend' - the large channel in the South -West. It does look like a big bend in a fjord or deep mountain channel.

It was & still can be the scene of a DD knife fight tho WF has likely ruined this now they allow Bots  :(  into low tier Random Battles.

Members
637 posts
891 battles

Of course it's not only destroyers that can do it...there is also...1460744698_2020-09-10(1).thumb.png.37cd3ce7a513aa901914d27a36c45129.png2020-09-10.thumb.png.786430c25a4d38fb58debb412b2de488.pngTHE FULL CQC SPEC SOUTH CAROLINA :cap_win:

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
Members
650 posts
3,283 battles

Thats where I cut my teeth in DD knife fights. And learned how to delete battleships.

And if you yolo'ed in or ESPECIALLY shot torps with a teammate DD in front... you were out of there.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this