Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

How to Midway?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,901 posts
5,634 battles

So last night I unlocked the Midway. Got to the top of the pile, got my prize.

Ugh...how does this work? 

I'm a German CV main and I'm finding the planes very slow. The torpedoes do little damage and just keep getting swatted. I'm working out how the dive bombers work. I'm also told HVAR is totally worth less and Tiny Tim are the way to go.

Are their 2020 game play videos out there? What's the ideal dropping distance for the torps and bombs?

Thank you in advance.

[HINON]
Members
13,279 posts
5 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Did you play any of the previous USN cvs in the line?

Edited by RipNuN2

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
729 posts
4,671 battles

Here's a video from TopTier. They are a pretty good resource when it comes to CVs.

Midway is just Lexington at T10. Did you play the other US CVs? If you are having trouble with AA, be sure to pre-drop to lessen the losses.

The torpedoes (the fully upgraded ones) can do a lot of damage all together, as there are 6 total. But you have to aim for a long time, and cannot move the reticle very much.

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,902 battles
3 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

Here's a video from TopTier. They are a pretty good resource when it comes to CVs.

Midway is just Lexington at T10. Did you play the other US CVs? If you are having trouble with AA, be sure to pre-drop to lessen the losses.

The torpedoes (the fully upgraded ones) can do a lot of damage all together, as there are 6 total. But you have to aim for a long time, and cannot move the reticle very much.

This. Toptier has really good videos and I learned a lot from his play. Check out his channel OP. Ever have more questions, let me know, I'll try to help (not the best tho)

[-TKS-]
Members
1,074 posts
8,667 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I'm a German CV main and I'm finding the planes very slow. The torpedoes do little damage and just keep getting swatted. I'm working out how the dive bombers work. I'm also told HVAR is totally worth less and Tiny Tim are the way to go.

Are their 2020 game play videos out there? What's the ideal dropping distance for the torps and bombs?

Thank you in advance.

Personally I’ve found more enjoyment of Lexington versus Midway, reason being Lexington’s torpedo bombers are more flexible than Midways. However, Midway can be used effectively. Tiny Tim’s are definitely the go to for Rocket Planes. Midway Torpedo bombers drop two torpedos per plane for six total torpedos per drop. The trade off is lower damage and a very wide spread that requires a longer run up to tighten the spread. 3-4km is my usual distance away I start my drop. Dive bombers depend mostly on if a ship is sailing towards or away from you, try to be within 1-2 km. 

German CV planes are much faster than US planes, but US planes are much tankier.

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles

american cv are the relatively easiest and least skill intensive nation as the tiny tim rockets and dive bombers are very easy to use and put out a ton of damage including very high fire chance.

the dive bombers are the kingpin of your planes they can drop 15k+ damage each time and nearly guarantee a fire so stacking fire damage is very easy, the torps are strong but not nearly as potent and easy to use as the bombers.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
279 posts
6,166 battles
6 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

american cv are the relatively easiest and least skill intensive nation as the tiny tim rockets and dive bombers are very easy to use and put out a ton of damage including very high fire chance.

the dive bombers are the kingpin of your planes they can drop 15k+ damage each time and nearly guarantee a fire so stacking fire damage is very easy, the torps are strong but not nearly as potent and easy to use as the bombers.

THIS ^   

HOWEVER I have the Hak and Midway and find the Hak easier to use...I have found the Midway to be a more "late game finisher"... hold on to your planes, let the team get spread out and then pick them off.  The Hak feels more usable early in game.  I think it's because I'm over aggressive in my CV play (which is probably reflected in my stats, I dunno, never really paid attention).  

Build for DB strength and use your torp bombers as buffers to rebuild low squadrons of DBs.   I will use the HVARs more than Tims as I like the larger # of rockets for DD's but it's a 50/50... I'll put Tims on at times too.  

I'm not an expert though...  The vids suggested above are a great place to start.  

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
1,002 posts

What did you do?  Free XP the line?  Not sure how you could be a “German CV main” when there was only 1 German CV until about 3 days ago.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
On 7/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, Dr_Venture said:

Thank you in advance.

Every line has a different playstule as torpedoes have different speed and agle to be dropped.

You can also check each line has a diff way to drop dive bombs and rockets.

Japanese needs to begin their run almost on top of the enemy, germans, can star at long range, Britains need to drop it early and americans can drop in a middle term.

If you played Lexx you should know it... If you are having trouble cause you still with T9 planes, that is normal. You will just play with confort when you upgrade the entire ship.

Germans are very different from all others. For example, GZ is my worse CV.

[NUWES]
Members
3,139 posts
10,772 battles
On 7/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, Dr_Venture said:

Thank you in advance.

Like others said, it's basically a scaled-up Lexington. Could you give us a better idea of what you are having difficulty with? If you can play the German CVs and you leveled through Lexington you should have no problem with Midway. The rocket planes have the same 2 options as Lexington: Tiny Tim or HVAR, the DBs are basically the same. The TBs drop a lot more torpedoes that individually do less damage, but she drops a lot of them. The reticule is very wide though and takes a while to narrow. If  you don't let it narrow you get a big fan of torps. 

As a note HVARs are not worthless at all. They some of the highest alpha damage of all the rocket planes. The big difference is they have less pen than the Tims and aren't as good as the Tims against heavily armored BBs. 

Sign in to follow this