You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

More Good War Movies

24 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,726 posts
15,219 battles

There was a thread a day or so ago where everyone brought up naval movies but how about a story about the grunts and it is a true story and it has one of the better bar fights in Hollywood history.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,404 posts
16,552 battles

It has been a while but the devils brigade was excellent! A bridge too far and the battle of the bulge were also some childhood favorites. I remember breaking out the vhs recording my dad made and watching them

[WPORT]
Members
18,035 posts
20,712 battles

There are more good "war movies" than I can throw a stick at.  :-)

[WOLF2]
Members
916 posts
22,772 battles

I recently watched the 2019 movie Midway and was very disappointed they left out an American hero. This man not only led Doolittle and his crew out of China, he spent the rest of the war behind enemy lines in China serving under General Chennault. This is a man who deserves to be remembered.

Members
7 posts
38,082 battles
Spoiler
Spoiler

Try the King's Choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ79i11JSnU&list=TLPQMTAxMDIwMjBK-FKd-8I8Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KgBJC4RXC4&list=TLPQMTAxMDIwMjBK-FKd-8I8Bg

No warning, no hesitation - These are enemies.

Edited by Cave__Johnson

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles

The Enemy Below

A WWII movie about a US Destroyer hunting a German U-Boat.  Interesting because it tries to go into details with ASW that you normally don't see with movies.  It also shows the story from both sides of the seasoned commanders of their ships.

I remember seeing this on TV during the 80s.  Robert Mitchum I was very familiar with but the actor that played the U-Boat skipper was familiar:  Curd Jurgens.

2868-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

He was also in 1962's The Longest Day

ih-6-4-the_longest_day.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,429 posts
5,046 battles

Not the best, but Robert Vaughn is pretty good in it.  And it's Free.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,726 posts
15,219 battles
On 10/3/2020 at 9:07 AM, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I recently watched the 2019 movie Midway and was very disappointed they left out an American hero. This man not only led Doolittle and his crew out of China, he spent the rest of the war behind enemy lines in China serving under General Chennault. This is a man who deserves to be remembered.

I was surprised that they covered the escape of the Doolittle raiders as much as they did. This is really a subject that deserves its own movie.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles
On 11/5/2020 at 12:30 PM, HamAndCheez said:

I remember seeing that on TV during the 1980s when I was a kid.  I liked that movie and, "It has that guy from Zulu!" as well as, "That girl from Logan's Run!"

Michael Caine is 87 years old and he's still busy making movies.

Donald Sutherland is 85 and still working it.

Robert Duvall is 89.  Still working but he's slowed down.

• Cool 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,104 posts
10,761 battles

Fury is an excellent war film that really highlights the poor sap thrown into a world he knows nothing about and the hardend soldiers who see their duty and carry it out.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles
On 5/17/2022 at 2:53 PM, MN1234 said:

Fury is an excellent war film that really highlights the poor sap thrown into a world he knows nothing about and the hardend soldiers who see their duty and carry it out.

I have fun destroying Wehraboos on YT who don't like what happens in that movie, and fail to recognize that movie is set in late WWII, in Germany with her enemies within her borders.  The training and experience of the German military was kaput in 1944, never mind in 1945 when everything had fallen apart, including numerous successful offensives by the Soviets and Western Allies, and massive losses.

Operation Overlord & Cobra

Operation Bagration

The failure of the Ardennes Offensive

All disasters for the German military.

As for the movie, yes, it was an interesting ride for a character that did not want to be there in combat.  He had a lot of opportunities to throw away his humanity but he clinged onto it while still getting closer to the crew.  2 important scenes:  Brad Pitt's character tries to force him to execute a German prisoner to "blood" him.  He refuses to pull the trigger and Pitt's character forces the trigger pull.  In the end of the movie a young German SS soldier had a chance to alert his comrades he found him, but he didn't.  He knew full well what would happen to him.

Anyways, my favorite scene from the movie:

• Thanks 1

[JOV-]
Members
89 posts

Red Badge of Courage. 

This version starred Audie Murphy who was a real-life Medal of Honor recipient* and Bill Mauldin, the GI artist that created the cartoon series "Willie & Joe"

* to see how he won the MoH , see another movie where he plays himself, "To Hell and Back"

Audie.jpg

bill mauldin.jpg

willie and joe.jpg522597548_atsea.thumb.jpg.ed6a2123b11011856c3eb93255ab6431.jpg

Edited by RedGreen_1
  • Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles

@RedGreen_1 A while back I ran into an old clip of a Veteran's Day interview with Audie Murphy.  The interviewer asked him what his most memorable experience of the war was, his answer was not what one would expect.

Here's the interview's link, 3 minutes 51 seconds long.  YT won't allow it to be embedded.

• Cool 2

[SUB4]
Members
1,104 posts
10,761 battles
On 5/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I have fun destroying Wehraboos on YT who don't like what happens in that movie, and fail to recognize that movie is set in late WWII, in Germany with her enemies within her borders.  The training and experience of the German military was kaput in 1944, never mind in 1945 when everything had fallen apart, including numerous successful offensives by the Soviets and Western Allies, and massive losses.

Operation Overlord & Cobra

Operation Bagration

The failure of the Ardennes Offensive

All disasters for the German military.

As for the movie, yes, it was an interesting ride for a character that did not want to be there in combat.  He had a lot of opportunities to throw away his humanity but he clinged onto it while still getting closer to the crew.  2 important scenes:  Brad Pitt's character tries to force him to execute a German prisoner to "blood" him.  He refuses to pull the trigger and Pitt's character forces the trigger pull.  In the end of the movie a young German SS soldier had a chance to alert his comrades he found him, but he didn't.  He knew full well what would happen to him.

Anyways, my favorite scene from the movie:

I have to agree.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles

Tora! Tora! Tora! is a good war movie.  It is also IMO special for several more reasons.

For one, it showed the events for both sides pretty evenhandedly.  Next is that it is still the best movie about the Pearl Harbor attack.  The other is the work with replicas.  On the Japanese side of production, there was a lot of effort done to make replicas of Battleship Nagato and Carrier Akagi.  Here's a flickr album with some great pictures.  1:1 scale Nagato replica.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/voyager_japan/albums/72157631988006137/page1

ey5yMIG.png

31pct11849o21.png

And more!

https://lasamurai.blogspot.com/2015/10/a-behind-scenes-look-at-ijn-fleet-of.html

12191049_10205258049554282_1377415101272

Nagato%2526Akagi.jpg

Here's one for Arizona from the same link.

10406450_10205258049514281_3158648678143

[DDG65]
Beta Testers
713 posts

1941!   This movie has a quite an all-star cast in it.    Robert Stack, John Candy, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Ned Beaty, Christopher Lee and many others click wikipedia link below for details

1941 (film) - Wikipedia

1941_movie.jpg.0fe6eadcf3448c053ba3a64f1f337f67.jpg

The Real Gen. Stilwell - later commanded US and Allied troops in the China, Burma and India Theatre of Operations.

1301205922_JosephStilwellimage1.jpg.85d193f5b13a287210e25ffc340cf201.jpg

And Robert Stack who played a very convincing Gen Stilwell

1784129761_robertstack19411979eyeglasses.thumb.jpg.7328bd341842eb5b6196bd5cc0b251bb.jpg

I lived in the Los Angeles area from 1980 to 2004, i knew where just about everyplace mentioned or portrayed in the movie was.  Kind of made the movie that much more fun to watch.

At least two things in the movie are based on things really did happen, the AA gun battle, known better as the Battle of Los Angeles, details in links below

Battle of Los Angeles - Wikipedia

AND the part in the movie where the Japanese submarine surfaces and shells a seaside amusement park and sinks a Ferris wheel and Lee/Grant tank is VERY loosely based on a real event, details in link below

Bombardment of Ellwood - Wikipedia

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
18,035 posts
20,712 battles

"Hollywood!"  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles

I liked watching 1941, I was surprised to hear it wasn't well received.

Slim Pickens below from Blazing Saddles fame.  Not to mention Toshiro Mifune and Christopher Lee.

IMDB link for the movie.  This cast was loaded.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,895 posts
29,960 battles

While replying in a different thread and the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest of 1944 took place, I was reminded of a late 1990s HBO show called "When Trumpets Fade."  It released in June 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Trumpets_Fade

The show was centered around a Private that was to me, easy to dislike.  He was also the survivor of his unit that got ripped apart.  He gets promoted to lead replacement troops during said battle.  This was a good show and it made a good impression on me when I caught it in the 1990s.  It released June, 1998 for HBO then Saving Private Ryan hit theaters the following month.

Members
484 posts
14,585 battles

When Trumpets Fade was shown once on the History channel. I watched it, but did not realize how long the movie is, so I missed the last hour. That was like 20 years ago.