Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

To maximize alpha, do you target destroyed section of ships? HE bombs

13 comments in this topic

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles

So flying as a US carrier, and disregarding fire potential, do I want to target the non destroyed sections of a ship or the destroyed section?

Example: Yamato has its front bow destroyed. There is already a fire in the middle with 15k health. I want to Maximize alpha damage. Do I want my bombs to hit the back and middle or the middle and front?

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

If you are trying to bomb a Yamato either reconsider and go after another target or else bomb the midsection since the bow and stern run the risk of either missing the target or else having the really strong turret armor shrug off the bomb hits. Deck armor is nice and thick on Yanato as well and seems to reduce CV alpha damage. And the sides have really good torpedo protection as well.

Added difficulty you may face is Yamato class hulls can forgo the main battery protection modules and instead go for Auxiliary protection modules. So while you may not think of Yamato as having the best AA, it’s still reasonable and can often be far more resilient to getting knocked out from HE hits. I do this on my Yanato and can get heavily pounded by HE shells while losing little to no AA guns, which makes my average AA defense output higher than one of the better AA ships that may suffer from more vulnerable AA mounts.

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you are trying to bomb a Yamato either reconsider and go after another target or else bomb the midsection since the bow and stern run the risk of either missing the target or else having the really strong turret armor shrug off the bomb hits. Deck armor is nice and thick on Yanato as well and seems to reduce CV alpha damage. And the sides have really good torpedo protection as well.

Added difficulty you may face is Yamato class hulls can forgo the main battery protection modules and instead go for Auxiliary protection modules. So while you may not think of Yamato as having the best AA, it’s still reasonable and can often be far more resilient to getting knocked out from HE hits. I do this on my Yanato and can get heavily pounded by HE shells while losing little to no AA guns, which makes my average AA defense output higher than one of the better AA ships that may suffer from more vulnerable AA mounts.

Perhaps I'm giving a bad example of a ship. I'm more just trying to ensure im understanding that attacking destroyed sections of a ship will not cause the maximum amount of damage, is that right?

Members
2,848 posts
36,608 battles
8 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Perhaps I'm giving a bad example of a ship. I'm more just trying to ensure im understanding that attacking destroyed sections of a ship will not cause the maximum amount of damage, is that right?

Yes, see a dark bow or stern and it's likely saturated. I always try to land middle no matter what. Yammy can't take bombs well from rear if you drop it down the funnel. Any midship hit is most effective. There is no deducted amount due to saturation.

Yes, the funnel. It's amazing what a Star Wars movie can teach you about an exhaust port.

Since dive bomber run is at a steep angle, the release in to the funnel gets good alpha. Release point depends on speed.

To really put the fear of CV Gods in a Yammy, just get torps to hit middle and cripple engine. Then that bomb run will be devastating.

Expect a lot of expletives from the BB victim. I seldom get complimented by a BB player that says: "Nice drop."

It's more the Wrath of Khan soliloquy and dramatic exposition instead.

• Funny 2

[TBB]
Members
616 posts
4,838 battles
5 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Yes, see a dark bow or stern and it's likely saturated. I always try to land middle no matter what. Yammy can't take bombs well from rear if you drop it down the funnel. Any midship hit is most effective. There is no deducted amount due to saturation.

Yes, the funnel. It's amazing what a Star Wars movie can teach you about an exhaust port.

Since dive bomber run is at a steep angle, the release in to the funnel gets good alpha. Release point depends on speed.

To really put the fear of CV Gods in a Yammy, just get torps to hit middle and cripple engine. Then that bomb run will be devastating.

Expect a lot of expletives from the BB victim. I seldom get complimented by a BB player that says: "Nice drop."

It's more the Wrath of Khan soliloquy and dramatic exposition instead.

Does the height of a HE drop affect the alpha?

[STURM]
Members
708 posts
5,744 battles
3 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

No. HE shells don't care about anything but the armor thickness of the impact point.

And as for your original question, the pristine sections of the ship will give you the best damage. Once they start looking blackened and damaged, you will get less damage. As long as you can damage that section, you should aim for the cleanest looking parts.

Members
270 posts
5,091 battles
2 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Example: Yamato has its front bow destroyed. There is already a fire in the middle with 15k health. I want to Maximize alpha damage. Do I want my bombs to hit the back and middle or the middle and front?

Ideally you want to hit the areas that are not on fire and/or unsaturated... ideally

In attacking the bow or stern, you have to weigh that extra damage and/or fire area with the possibility of your bombs missing the target. Depending on the situation, it might just make more sense to target the mid-ship and hit all of your bombs rather than the possibility of halving your drop.

Considering citadels don't saturate, AP bombs can be dropped wherever. I try to maximize the amount of AP bombs I hit, though I did once get 4 citadels dropping them slightly towards the stern of a Kremlin in my Enterprise lol

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
2 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

So flying as a US carrier, and disregarding fire potential, do I want to target the non destroyed sections of a ship or the destroyed section?

Dude, this isn't Fallout. You don't target the broken armour pieces for maximum damage here.

Members
2,848 posts
36,608 battles
43 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Depends on ship deck armor, but a high drop comes down slower because little momentum. Diving drop pens more.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

Members
2,848 posts
36,608 battles
48 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Each bomb shows its HE pen value somewhere in stats.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
6 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Well I think that is a bit of a double edged question that now that you have clarified I can better answer. But at least the info I gave you earlier is still correct and helpful to you regardless as I use my Yamato as a bait / trap for aircraft.

Now it’s been a while since I went of the full specifics of the damage mechanics so there is a slight chance I am a little off, but I think the middle of a ship holds the most hit points / can always sustain damage, while the bow and stern sections have more limited HP pools. So like if I am in my Gearing and I am in close in gun battle against another DD and the enemy DD has the bow or stern section completely blackened I know it will have damage saturation and either stop really taking damage or at least greatly reduced damage. So I will switch to another ship section to increase my damage dealt.

And the damage can be true about other ships. How ever if it’s a CAs vs CA battle and the ship is broadside a I will always try to get some AP shells into the middle of the ship as the citadels are massive damage and always seem to be able to take damage even if the middle looks like an absolute wreck, although does take heavier shells to reliably get through as that is where often the heaviest armor is on ships. Where as if I want to get damage against say a BB that’s side on but lack the guns heavy enough for citadels I will target the bow, stern, superstructure, or even the often thinner armor just below the deck.

When using CVs things get a little different than using guns. I would honestly say particularly with HE Bombs that you want to always aim for the middle of a ship if possible. Reasons include it’s the largest target for more of your Bombs are probably going to hit, the main bulk of the AA guns are placated in the midsection so any hits you make might make following hits less costly in terms of planes lost, and it often appears that the deck armor is thinner under the superstructure thanks to the bulk of the superstructure in theory being protection to the citadel, so mid section bomb hits should be potentially harder hitting that the often thicker deck armor of the bow and stern.

Hope this helps, had to use some non CV examples to demonstrate damage mechanics in a simple / accurate manner before I could explain the CVs.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,443 posts
6,495 battles

As a rule target the Non-damaged areas of a ship for best damage with any weapon.  However,  If I know a ship has  DCP on cooldown and has a chance of a sticky fire..  I'll target ships with  HE DBs or HE Rockets for best fire chance.   Meaning I would always target another area on a ship that isn't burning already.  Not sure if there's any validity to it?  but I feel like I get more fires by targeting bow and stern generally.    If unsure, I always target super structure...      At least with USN CVs you can be that accurate with the DBs.   RN.. you have to pretty much just target whole ship and let RNG decide for you. . 

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
On 7/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Merc_R_Us said:

First, only hits count.

If you're good enough to ensure a hit on a specific portion of a ship's hull, then congratulations to you.  You're better at it than I am.  :-)

HE bombs, like HE projectiles, are gonna perform best when they hit a hull-section that they can penetrate.  If they can start a fire, then that is all the better.

Next you'll be damaging the ship's steering gear on purpose?  :-)

Good on'ya.  

Sign in to follow this