You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FacePalming

Remove Spotting from Fighter consumable?

44 comments in this topic

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles

One of the most annoying things about CVs is that they can just drop a consumable that is meant to protect ships from air attacks, but most CVs use them for spotting, which id dumb, drop a consumable and spot everything.  I'm thinking mostly destroyers right now.

What do you think if they took away the ability for fighter squadrons to detect surface ships?  

It would lower the CVs ability to completely wreck a DDs game, as they can't just drop the consumable and have full visibility on it with the overpowered rocket planes.  They couldn't just leave it, leaving the DD spotted for the entire team to shoot.

Something has to be done to fix the CV/DD interactions, and this might be a nice first step.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,245 posts

So how do you stop a DD from completely wrecking a BBs game? DD has the most powerful weapons, and an invisibility cloak.

And with the new CV nerfs, it's easy to dodge planes in a DD. I was doing it consistently for the last 2 days.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,470 posts
44 battles

Because WG believes it is fine even when it isn't.

Just now, z9_ said:

So how do you stop a DD from completely wrecking a BBs game? DD has the most powerful weapons, and an invisibility cloak.

Which is why DDs have the lowest average damage in the game.
Oh wait. :cap_hmm:

As to how to stop them, try map awareness, WASD, hydro, proper positioning, radar and teamplay maybe?

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

As to how to stop them, try map awareness, WASD, hydro, proper positioning, radar and teamplay maybe?

Wait a couple months and then recheck DD damage averages once the RU CAs and their 12km Radar kicks in. At the moment it’s been sporadic enough that you can often enough either stay on other side of the map from the radar ship or else have your team take out the ship that has that radar. But if your facing several 12km Radar ships and a CV then your DD is in trouble since typically if 1 of the radars picks up your DD then the CV will quickly be after you.

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
7 minutes ago, z9_ said:

And with the new CV nerfs, it's easy to dodge planes in a DD. I was doing it consistently for the last 2 days.

So, with your thinking, they should get get rid of DDs?  I've been in a few of those games, and they are boring camp fests.

As was pointed out, map awareness and WASD hacks are your best defense against DDs...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,383 posts
14,152 battles
14 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Yet their average experience while the lowest is only a little lower than the highest. Raw damage is not where they earn their experience.

• Thanks 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
606 posts
8,932 battles

Nope, with upgraded AA now DD easily shoot down 1 dropped fighter, particularly orland , kidd and akizuki with 56 level AA  .. OP at best as they can wipe out a flight of 8 planes that are human controlled.

Remember a dropped fighter will help the whole team, not just the carrier.  its a team effort,  you just have to get the carrier guy on your team to drop some fighters to.  Its not rocket science.

Edited by DevilD0g

[OIL-1]
Members
1,245 posts
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That doesn't mean anything.
I was topping the leaderboard in wins with a Jutland and Oster, and posting lower than average damage for those ships.
I did it by using my invisibility cloak to ruin other players games.

7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

map awareness, WASD, hydro, proper positioning, radar and teamplay

Out of all that, radar is the only real threat, and a lot of it can be avoided once you learn which ships carry it.

I'm not crying about the DDs, I'm currently playing them.
I'm crying about the constant whining from DD players demanding even more buffs from the already
outrageous number of buffs they've been given. And it's been going on for YEARS now.
If you're so upset, why do you keep playing them? They work fine for me.

• Cool 2

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
606 posts
8,932 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wait a couple months and then recheck DD damage averages once the RU CAs and their 12km Radar kicks in. At the moment it’s been sporadic enough that you can often enough either stay on other side of the map from the radar ship or else have your team take out the ship that has that radar. But if your facing several 12km Radar ships and a CV then your DD is in trouble since typically if 1 of the radars picks up your DD then the CV will quickly be after you.

12 k radar shouldnt be allowed to happen.  10k is bad enough as thats generally the range of most destroyer guns.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
6 minutes ago, z9_ said:

That doesn't mean anything.
I was topping the leaderboard in wins with a Jutland and Oster, and posting lower than average damage for those ships.
I did it by using my invisibility cloak to ruin other players games.

Out of all that, radar is the only real threat, and a lot of it can be avoided once you learn which ships carry it.

I'm not crying about the DDs, I'm currently playing them.
I'm crying about the constant whining from DD players demanding even more buffs from the already
outrageous number of buffs they've been given. And it's been going on for YEARS now.
If you're so upset, why do you keep playing them? They work fine for me.

I'm not complaining about anything, for the most part I can dodge most of an attack run, unless I'm spotted.  And when I'm spotted, I take usually 1/3 of my health in damage, because you know, rocket planes

I just don't like that CVS can completely wreck a DDs game without ANY danger to themselves.  One way to do that would be making it harder for them to actually hit a DD, i.e. they have to guess where you've moved to and adjust their attack run once you're in range to be seen. 

Edited by FacePalming

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
5 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

12 k radar shouldnt be allowed to happen.  10k is bad enough as thats generally the range of most destroyer guns.

An a lot of torpedoes...

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
4 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I'd argue that 12km radar is fine, but not in Russian cruisers. Their guns are too fast in the velocity. If US CAs and CLs had it, it'd barely be a direct threat, as their shells have to travel for a week and hope you still live in the same country as before.

[SIM]
Members
4,914 posts
7,991 battles

DDs are already toxic enough, they don’t need any more help in discouraging active participation in games. 

• Cool 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
606 posts
8,932 battles

how do you have a battle when you eliminate all the threats with counters.  It just makes the game less fun and make  you feel like  you dont want to play.  with more and more ships getting radar and increasing radar ranges it just makes the game less fun and you feel like you dont want to play.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
2 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

how do you have a battle when you eliminate all the threats with counters.  It just makes the game less fun and make  you feel like  you dont want to play.  with more and more ships getting radar and increasing radar ranges it just makes the game less fun and you feel like you dont want to play.

But WoWS has been counter city since day one, hasn't it? That just sounds like wanting a different game. The gameplay dynamic was called rock paper scissors for a long time for a reason.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,245 posts
6 minutes ago, FacePalming said:

I just don't like that CVS can completely wreck a DDs game without ANY danger to themselves.

I said the same thing about artillery in the tank game years ago. WG didn't listen then. They're not listening now. Why beat a dead horse?

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
21 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

But WoWS has been counter city since day one, hasn't it? That just sounds like wanting a different game. The gameplay dynamic was called rock paper scissors for a long time for a reason.

Now it's Rock-Paper-Scissor-Dynamite

Edited by FacePalming
Typo

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,446 posts

I guess this is why I'm a bad CV player... I only drop fighters to spot DDs when the game is already circling the drain. 

I try very hard to ensure I drop my fighters over ships who are leading the offense or about to come under attack by the red CV. 

[TBB]
Members
614 posts
4,780 battles

How did we get this far in the conversation without mentioning that DD detectability by air will be cut in half in an upcoming test?

OP, that alone will solve the DD CV interaction that you are talking about. 

Now if you want to talk about cv spotting in general, that's a different thing. Maybe remove from fighters or something but, let's see what happens from the actual first fix.

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
2 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

How did we get this far in the conversation without mentioning that DD detectability by air will be cut in half in an upcoming test?

OP, that alone will solve the DD CV interaction that you are talking about. 

Now if you want to talk about cv spotting in general, that's a different thing. Maybe remove from fighters or something but, let's see what happens from the actual first fix.

That's what I want, remove spotting from fighters, you take that away, and the buff is not needed...turn your AA off, and by the time CVs find you, they don't have much time to get a full salvo into you...

[TBB]
Members
614 posts
4,780 battles

Just now, FacePalming said:

That's what I want, remove spotting from fighters, you take that away, and the buff is not needed...turn your AA off, and by the time CVs find you, they don't have much time to get a full salvo into you...

Naw a CV rocket squad has a chance to hit you with rockets on the first pass. Even more, a CV can make a pass, see you, and get a really good lined up shot on the second fly by. 

With the nerf, it will be incredibly easier for a DD to escape the 2nd flight. 

Using fighters to spot a DD is not a good use of the fighters most of the time. The half detectability is way better then the fighter spotting DD thing you propose.

[ICBM]
Members
820 posts
9,317 battles

WG is experimenting with cutting DD detection by air in half. That should help. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to try playing CV. Sort of a know-your-enemy sort of thing. It helped. A LOT. I mean, it's crazy how putting yourself in the CV's point of view changes CV-DD interaction. You realize that yes,  AA does do something, that yes, you can dodge rocket planes, and there are lots of things DDs can do to make lining up those rocket attacks very difficult. Sure, if you are up against a really good CV driver, you're gonna get hit, but it's possible to totally dodge some players. Once you realize you're in a match with a sub-par CV driver, you can pretty much ignore them. 

Strongly recommend putting in some games on CV. Hope this helps. 

[CRMSN]
Members
181 posts
15,008 battles
Just now, mrieder79 said:

WG is experimenting with cutting DD detection by air in half. That should help. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to try playing CV. Sort of a know-your-enemy sort of thing. It helped. A LOT. I mean, it's crazy how putting yourself in the CV's point of view changes CV-DD interaction. You realize that yes,  AA does do something, that yes, you can dodge rocket planes, and there are lots of things DDs can do to make lining up those rocket attacks very difficult. Sure, if you are up against a really good CV driver, you're gonna get hit, but it's possible to totally dodge some players. Once you realize you're in a match with a sub-par CV driver, you can pretty much ignore them. 

Strongly recommend putting in some games on CV. Hope this helps. 

It's not dodging that is the problem, best course of action is to turn into them, give the CV a smaller attack run, I get that, but you can't do that when he's dropped fighters over you which provide constant spotting...and the detectability buff will not help that

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

So how do you stop a DD from completely wrecking a BBs game?

WASD...?

I dunno.  That works pretty well for me.

As a matter of fact, when playing faster BBs I often chase after DDs, and much more often than not I come out on top.  Especially in the Gneis which, for a battleship, is actually quite good at prosecuting destroyers.  I look forward to it, actually.

Turning and playing aggressively in battleships, when appropriate, often works out well.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
820 posts
9,317 battles

Yeah. When you play enough BB, you get a spidey sense that tells you when fish are in the water. Comes with time. Changing throttle is very effective because it plays havoc with that little grey wedge. 

• Cool 1