Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dad003

Ze german CV !

39 comments in this topic

[5D]
Members
1,065 posts
13,586 battles

well all those new german CV are actually nice the t4 is a really good seal clubber ! Tier 6 is decent as long as the MM is nice , t8 is very interesting  , i cannot wait for the t10 i will have a lots of fun with those

The AP rocket are very nice to use on broadside cruiser i saw a few 10-11k a salvo on some cruiser !

shot-20_07.09_23_36.58-0310.thumb.jpg.6eb70e8af4f681814b4d4bb62208c2ba.jpgshot-20_07.08_14_58.27-0690.thumb.jpg.dba4d07a8eb79fff7a0c0d236649551e.jpgshot-20_07.09_19_16.56-0429.thumb.jpg.ebfe289aa9472d51fc687d763ede72da.jpg

[SAA]
Beta Testers
19 posts
10,084 battles

Well all i have is the T6 one and all it does is over pen ,Keep getting into battles with t8's  Rockets  5/10 over pen almost all the time  on broad side stuff . bombs  5/10  hard to cit  . torps 9/10 they are good . Graf zep  excellent ship .Weser  bad . unless in with t4 battle . My thoughts.

• Meh 2

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles

In the tier 8 CV, you can get some CRAZY numbers with the AP rockets, but the cruiser captains are getting wiser about it.  Most of the time, the cruisers are already turning before my planes can start their run.  This does put the cruisers out of position so there's that bonus as long as your team is on point with what's going on.  The AP bombers are......interesting.  At least they game them a heal because DAMN you fly through every single flak cloud as you are making sure your bomb sight is over the target.  The torps are the same as the GZ's so nothing new there.  I've been using them more often on DD's than the rockets, but I think I just got lucky the first few times using them because the DD's were just going straight hoping their speed can get past the torps.  The last couple of game, the DD's have been doing some really nice dodges.  Hats off to those captains.

[CLUMP]
Members
825 posts
1,168 battles
On 7/10/2020 at 6:22 AM, dad003 said:

well all those new german CV are actually nice the t4 is a really good seal clubber ! Tier 6 is decent as long as the MM is nice , t8 is very interesting  , i cannot wait for the t10 i will have a lots of fun with those

The AP rocket are very nice to use on broadside cruiser i saw a few 10-11k a salvo on some cruiser !

shot-20_07.09_23_36.58-0310.thumb.jpg.6eb70e8af4f681814b4d4bb62208c2ba.jpgshot-20_07.08_14_58.27-0690.thumb.jpg.dba4d07a8eb79fff7a0c0d236649551e.jpgshot-20_07.09_19_16.56-0429.thumb.jpg.ebfe289aa9472d51fc687d763ede72da.jpg

:Smile_great:

[JEDI-]
Members
131 posts
6,479 battles

A game i just had with the Tier VIII Augustus Von Parseval

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.23.37.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.30.86.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.43.59.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.50.71.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.29.26.97.png

[5D]
Members
1,065 posts
13,586 battles
Just now, Woody051 said:

A game i just had with the Tier VIII Augustus Von Parseval

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.23.37.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.30.86.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.43.59.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.28.50.71.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.14 - 04.29.26.97.png

not bad but those number need to be pump up , i had like 4 match in a row of  140-150k tonight and the streak got ruin because of my internet dying for 10min

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles

Question.  Are you guys able to get multiple AP bomb runs?  I seem to only be able to get maybe one in and at the most a second one, but I only have 1-2 bombers left.  Just having a rough time getting my bombers on target without flying through every flak cloud because you're focused on getting the dang bomb site on target.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester
194 posts
4,465 battles
1 hour ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

Question.  Are you guys able to get multiple AP bomb runs?  I seem to only be able to get maybe one in and at the most a second one, but I only have 1-2 bombers left.  Just having a rough time getting my bombers on target without flying through every flak cloud because you're focused on getting the dang bomb site on target.

Whats your captain at? I used Free Captain XP to get my Wesser capt up to 10 and took the surviveability skill. Made a big difference. Also have to do the wiggle OTW to the target to throw off the flak bursts.

[5D]
Members
1,065 posts
13,586 battles
1 hour ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

most of the itme only do one drop unless it a t6 ship with bad AA

[5D]
Members
1,065 posts
13,586 battles

A few days ago i actually had my best match in this CV

shot-20_07.11_18_34.05-0559.thumb.jpg.c8e14f69c8af72da3ac66879e46faee3.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles
5 hours ago, Roamer0101 said:

Whats your captain at? I used Free Captain XP to get my Wesser capt up to 10 and took the surviveability skill. Made a big difference. Also have to do the wiggle OTW to the target to throw off the flak bursts.

17 point (I took my GZ captain and transferred him to the new CV)

AS, IE, SE, Armor, SS, and CE.  Going for Torp Acceleration as my final skill.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester
194 posts
4,465 battles
17 hours ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

17 point (I took my GZ captain and transferred him to the new CV)

AS, IE, SE, Armor, SS, and CE.  Going for Torp Acceleration as my final skill.

Hmm, Dont know then. I can usually get 2-3 runs on a Tier 6 and below, Teir 7 and Up is basically a 1 run and hope to save 2-3 planes to fly home.  I usually hold off on my AP bombers till the end of the match hoping that HE has taken out a lot of the AA on ships.

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles
41 minutes ago, Roamer0101 said:

Hmm, Dont know then. I can usually get 2-3 runs on a Tier 6 and below, Teir 7 and Up is basically a 1 run and hope to save 2-3 planes to fly home.  I usually hold off on my AP bombers till the end of the match hoping that HE has taken out a lot of the AA on ships.

Yeah...I was going through the same thing with AP bombs.  About 2 runs at tier 6 and mostly 1 tier 7 or up.  I just wanted to make sure if it was myself just potato'ing or if there was something else I was missing.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,390 battles
26 minutes ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

Yeah...I was going through the same thing with AP bombs.  About 2 runs at tier 6 and mostly 1 tier 7 or up.  I just wanted to make sure if it was myself just potato'ing or if there was something else I was missing.

I am finding it challenging to avoid Flak with AP bombers on approach.  If I angle camera down to see the reticle my field of view does not allow for me to see where flak is in front of me.

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles
19 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I am finding it challenging to avoid Flak with AP bombers on approach.  If I angle camera down to see the reticle my field of view does not allow for me to see where flak is in front of me.

I guess that's the reason why they gave AP bombers the heal as well.  Though it doesn't do much when you fly RIGHT into a flak cloud WITH the continuous AA damage on top of that.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester
194 posts
4,465 battles
20 hours ago, _Doc_Holliday said:

I guess that's the reason why they gave AP bombers the heal as well.  Though it doesn't do much when you fly RIGHT into a flak cloud WITH the continuous AA damage on top of that.

Havent gotten the mission for the AVP, and all my discretionary spending is gone so no more containers for me trying to get it.

I peeked at the equipment for the AVP and saw the heals. That makes me think it will be a bit easier. Looking forward to going up the line.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,390 battles

I only have the T4 so far however it is pretty much confirming what I expected so far.  Great at dealing damage but it's inability to kill DD'S makes it ineffective against any other CV worth his salt who does focus DD's.

Maybe it's because most of the games I have been in have been human CV, human dd and bot bb,ca but the inability to kill DD's makes all those nifty citadels and that 70k damage pretty meaningless.

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles

Against DD's, the AP rockets do no more than 3-4k damage.  I have seen a lot more of incapacitations though, but yeah....they don't do much against them.  I don't have torp acc. yet so the torpedoes CAN do damage against DD's and completely mess up their beginning run on a cap, but against higher tier DD's?  Good luck.  The AP bombers though?  You MAY get 2 runs on one target if you know how to dodge well and with the camera pointing STRAIGHT down, it's tough to dodge flak clouds.

Members
11 posts
14,720 battles

I was gonna make a thread about the German CVs but you guys beat me to it!

I've been really enjoying these German CVs a lot. T4 Rhein is a beast in lower tier matches, I get many citadel-hit ribbons in a game with cruiser's armor being generally thinner (watch out for Texas' AA!). T6 Weser is good too, although she struggles in T8 matchups (although what T6 CV doesn't struggle in a T8 match?). Weser is a workhorse in Operations too.

I've mostly been playing the T8 August von Parseval, and I can honestly say it's a joy to play (even more fun than Graf imo). The Iron Cross camo looks wonderful on all the German carriers (Parseval in my port pictured):

619332611_WorldofWarships7_17_20206_36_41PM.thumb.png.75145a1154e1697523518babdd2650ba.png

1604265892_WorldofWarships7_17_20206_37_03PM.thumb.png.97a6dee32840388a1437125412521b8e.png

But I've noticed some glaring discrepancies between A. Parseval and Graf Zeppelin. If you look in port, they are almost the same ship in size, although Graf's base detection range is 16.2km, while A. Parseval's base detection range is 13.5km?? (This is without any camo, mods or skills).

Hilariously, I've noticed if you run full concealment on Parseval with a full secondary build, you can have her detection range & secondary reach the same distance (10.6km), which would be a nasty surprise for anyone who spots her. I might try this build someday, but personally I run the Flight Control Mod 1 for the 5th equipment slot, 11.8km concealment with camo & captain perk is a-okay with me.

I find Parseval to be much more usable in-battle than Graf. Graf's AP bomb drops & circle reticle are a total joke. Graf has torpedoes that hit harder, but are slower (Graf: 5333 @ 35 knots, 6km range. Parseval: 4067 @ 52 knots, 2.5km range). The aiming reticles for the tech-tree German CVs aim relatively quickly (quicker than Graf), so I don't run Sight Stabilization perk, I don't find it necessary (I have AFT instead for the boost in secondary range and flak burst damage). Basically the most use I get out of Graf Zeppelin are her torpedoes, Graf's rockets are good if your squadron can even make it through the AA bubble. The most damage you can get out of Graf's AP bombs are 5,800, with two bombs per attack a double citadel would be 11,600. But anyone who has played Graf knows how erratic the bombs drop in the circle, most of the time they harmlessly plop into the water beside the ship (with planes getting shot down in vain).

Graf has more secondaries (casemate 150's in the hull) and they are much more accurate than Parseval's; however Parseval's secondaries have a farther reach (10.6km for Parseval full spec, 9.4km for Graf full spec). But honestly, with Graf's terrible detection range makes using the secondaries effectively difficult. Some people might not believe in secondary-spec CVs, but those 105's on Parseval have saved my bacon on more than a few occasions. Great for DDs and lower-health cruisers, I wouldn't go taking a battleship on with these.

Although these German CVs aren't as effective at DD hunting than other CV lines, I can still make it work. The AP rockets aren't completely ineffective on DDs, I will still strafe them for the overpens. Any chip damage done to DDs is worth it (especially if they don't have a heal). I've noticed if you hit the DDs with rockets at a slight angle, not sharp enough to ricochet, you can get full pens. But if I'm looking for/hunting down a DD, I use the torp planes. The plane & torpedoes high speed makes them very useful at making DDs dance & maneuver. I actually had an enemy DD player compliment me after I sunk him with the torp planes. He said "man, those torps are fast!" I said: "well these are really the only thing I have that works against DDs, the AP rockets mostly overpen". And he said, I quote: "well I like these new CVs, those torp drops take skill. The other CV's rocket planes are kinda brainless."

Parseval's AA complement is VERY strong, stronger than Graf's (Parseval: AA rating of 88; continuous damage of 586 with 6 flak bursts at 1400 a pop, Graf: AA rating of 69; continuous damage of 298, same flak values as Parseval), and can keep enemy CV attacks at bay. They might get one attack on me, but they can kiss that entire squadron goodbye. I played a game yesterday against a Lexington, who spent the entire game not helping his team but flying across the map & attacking me. I got AA Defense Expert medal about halfway through the match, and I guess Lex got the picture because after a while he cooled off. I noticed his squadrons were rather light too, his reserves were rather limited.

The AP bombs on Parseval (and all the tech tree German CVs) are AWESOME. 7,800 max damage per bomb is excellent, and a triple citadel drop is 23,400! Ouch. I enjoy the view from the high-flying bombers perspective, as well.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, _Doc_Holliday said:

It's possible but it depends on the situation. For a TX matches, I typically don't try a double-drop; I usually dump one attack in the water and attack once. On ships with weak AA, or later on in the match when most AA mounts have been destroyed by HE spam, you can definitely do multi-drops. One match I did 3 drops on a Conqueror, whose AA mounts were pretty much fully destroyed.

It took me a while to figure out how to stop eating excessive amounts of flak with the bombers, but if you do a little waggle (not as aggressively of a zig-zag as I do with other nations CVs) it does an excellent job of dodging flak. The slight-wag approach works great also because of how high these bombers fly, it takes longer for the flak shells to fly upwards to your squadron, even the slightest change of direction will throw off the ship's flak prediction. Also, utilizing the bomber's heal effectively on Parseval makes a double-drop much more successful. The wag approach isn't a guarantee, I still sometimes eat massive flak clouds on occasion. And don't wag too aggressively or you'll throw off your aim reticle (and it's rather difficult to change aim once you begin your drop). I usually stop zig-zagging once I'm within 2.5km of the target ship and begin lining up for the drop.

For Parseval's equipment, I went with Air Groups Mod 1, Aircraft Engines Mod 1, Secondary Battery Mod 1, Bombers Mod 2, and Flight Control Mod 1. If you aren't a fan of secondaries, the Aerial Torp Mod 1 is another viable option for the 3rd slot. Personally I run Secondary Battery Mod 1 on all of my CVs (except Saipan, she doesn't have any secondaries). The AP bombers on Parseval are highly effective, which is why I run Bombers Mod 2. The torpedo planes are easy to use on the tech-tree German CVs but they aren't very damaging, and I don't rely on them as much as I do with Graf Zeppelin.

For captain build, I have Air Supremacy, Improved Engine Boost, and either Direction Center for Fighters or Last Gasp (both are viable options); Improved Engines, Survivability Expert, Aircraft Armor, AFT and Concealment. This is actually my standard CV captain build, just swapping Sight Stabilization for AFT on these German CVs. These tech tree German CVs don't really need Torp Acceleration in my opinion. But hey, you are ultimately the captain of your ship.

If you have Gunther Lutjens, he is an excellent captain for these German carriers. His Air Supremacy skill is easy to achieve (30 rocket, bomb or torp hits) and gives you 10% faster plane regeneration. I usually do 3-4 strafes with rockets in the beginning of the match and that's enough to get the skill perk. Also, his Exemplary Reconnaissance perk is easy to achieve in CV and gives you a tiny heal for every 3 ships spotted.

All in all, I enjoy these German CVs a lot and I can't wait for Manfred von Richthofen. I even got the Iron Cross camo for her when she gets released! Sorry for the long post. I was gonna make a thread about the German CVs but you guys were ahead of the curve!

- FairWindsFollowingSeas [NA]

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester
194 posts
4,465 battles
11 hours ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

I was gonna make a thread about the German CVs but you guys beat me to it!

I've been really enjoying these German CVs a lot. T4 Rhein is a beast in lower tier matches, I get many citadel-hit ribbons in a game with cruiser's armor being generally thinner (watch out for Texas' AA!). T6 Weser is good too, although she struggles in T8 matchups (although what T6 CV doesn't struggle in a T8 match?). Weser is a workhorse in Operations too.

I've mostly been playing the T8 August von Parseval, and I can honestly say it's a joy to play (even more fun than Graf imo). The Iron Cross camo looks wonderful on all the German carriers (Parseval in my port pictured):

619332611_WorldofWarships7_17_20206_36_41PM.thumb.png.75145a1154e1697523518babdd2650ba.png

1604265892_WorldofWarships7_17_20206_37_03PM.thumb.png.97a6dee32840388a1437125412521b8e.png

But I've noticed some glaring discrepancies between A. Parseval and Graf Zeppelin. If you look in port, they are almost the same ship in size, although Graf's base detection range is 16.2km, while A. Parseval's base detection range is 13.5km?? (This is without any camo, mods or skills).

Hilariously, I've noticed if you run full concealment on Parseval with a full secondary build, you can have her detection range & secondary reach the same distance (10.6km), which would be a nasty surprise for anyone who spots her. I might try this build someday, but personally I run the Flight Control Mod 1 for the 5th equipment slot, 11.8km concealment with camo & captain perk is a-okay with me.

I find Parseval to be much more usable in-battle than Graf. Graf's AP bomb drops & circle reticle are a total joke. Graf has torpedoes that hit harder, but are slower (Graf: 5333 @ 35 knots, 6km range. Parseval: 4067 @ 52 knots, 2.5km range). The aiming reticles for the tech-tree German CVs aim relatively quickly (quicker than Graf), so I don't run Sight Stabilization perk, I don't find it necessary (I have AFT instead for the boost in secondary range and flak burst damage). Basically the most use I get out of Graf Zeppelin are her torpedoes, Graf's rockets are good if your squadron can even make it through the AA bubble. The most damage you can get out of Graf's AP bombs are 5,800, with two bombs per attack a double citadel would be 11,600. But anyone who has played Graf knows how erratic the bombs drop in the circle, most of the time they harmlessly plop into the water beside the ship (with planes getting shot down in vain).

Graf has more secondaries (casemate 150's in the hull) and they are much more accurate than Parseval's; however Parseval's secondaries have a farther reach (10.6km for Parseval full spec, 9.4km for Graf full spec). But honestly, with Graf's terrible detection range makes using the secondaries effectively difficult. Some people might not believe in secondary-spec CVs, but those 105's on Parseval have saved my bacon on more than a few occasions. Great for DDs and lower-health cruisers, I wouldn't go taking a battleship on with these.

Although these German CVs aren't as effective at DD hunting than other CV lines, I can still make it work. The AP rockets aren't completely ineffective on DDs, I will still strafe them for the overpens. Any chip damage done to DDs is worth it (especially if they don't have a heal). I've noticed if you hit the DDs with rockets at a slight angle, not sharp enough to ricochet, you can get full pens. But if I'm looking for/hunting down a DD, I use the torp planes. The plane & torpedoes high speed makes them very useful at making DDs dance & maneuver. I actually had an enemy DD player compliment me after I sunk him with the torp planes. He said "man, those torps are fast!" I said: "well these are really the only thing I have that works against DDs, the AP rockets mostly overpen". And he said, I quote: "well I like these new CVs, those torp drops take skill. The other CV's rocket planes are kinda brainless."

Parseval's AA complement is VERY strong, stronger than Graf's (Parseval: AA rating of 88; continuous damage of 586 with 6 flak bursts at 1400 a pop, Graf: AA rating of 69; continuous damage of 298, same flak values as Parseval), and can keep enemy CV attacks at bay. They might get one attack on me, but they can kiss that entire squadron goodbye. I played a game yesterday against a Lexington, who spent the entire game not helping his team but flying across the map & attacking me. I got AA Defense Expert medal about halfway through the match, and I guess Lex got the picture because after a while he cooled off. I noticed his squadrons were rather light too, his reserves were rather limited.

The AP bombs on Parseval (and all the tech tree German CVs) are AWESOME. 7,800 max damage per bomb is excellent, and a triple citadel drop is 23,400! Ouch. I enjoy the view from the high-flying bombers perspective, as well.

It's possible but it depends on the situation. For a TX matches, I typically don't try a double-drop; I usually dump one attack in the water and attack once. On ships with weak AA, or later on in the match when most AA mounts have been destroyed by HE spam, you can definitely do multi-drops. One match I did 3 drops on a Conqueror, whose AA mounts were pretty much fully destroyed.

It took me a while to figure out how to stop eating excessive amounts of flak with the bombers, but if you do a little waggle (not as aggressively of a zig-zag as I do with other nations CVs) it does an excellent job of dodging flak. The slight-wag approach works great also because of how high these bombers fly, it takes longer for the flak shells to fly upwards to your squadron, even the slightest change of direction will throw off the ship's flak prediction. Also, utilizing the bomber's heal effectively on Parseval makes a double-drop much more successful. The wag approach isn't a guarantee, I still sometimes eat massive flak clouds on occasion. And don't wag too aggressively or you'll throw off your aim reticle (and it's rather difficult to change aim once you begin your drop). I usually stop zig-zagging once I'm within 2.5km of the target ship and begin lining up for the drop.

For Parseval's equipment, I went with Air Groups Mod 1, Aircraft Engines Mod 1, Secondary Battery Mod 1, Bombers Mod 2, and Flight Control Mod 1. If you aren't a fan of secondaries, the Aerial Torp Mod 1 is another viable option for the 3rd slot. Personally I run Secondary Battery Mod 1 on all of my CVs (except Saipan, she doesn't have any secondaries). The AP bombers on Parseval are highly effective, which is why I run Bombers Mod 2. The torpedo planes are easy to use on the tech-tree German CVs but they aren't very damaging, and I don't rely on them as much as I do with Graf Zeppelin.

For captain build, I have Air Supremacy, Improved Engine Boost, and either Direction Center for Fighters or Last Gasp (both are viable options); Improved Engines, Survivability Expert, Aircraft Armor, AFT and Concealment. This is actually my standard CV captain build, just swapping Sight Stabilization for AFT on these German CVs. These tech tree German CVs don't really need Torp Acceleration in my opinion. But hey, you are ultimately the captain of your ship.

If you have Gunther Lutjens, he is an excellent captain for these German carriers. His Air Supremacy skill is easy to achieve (30 rocket, bomb or torp hits) and gives you 10% faster plane regeneration. I usually do 3-4 strafes with rockets in the beginning of the match and that's enough to get the skill perk. Also, his Exemplary Reconnaissance perk is easy to achieve in CV and gives you a tiny heal for every 3 ships spotted.

All in all, I enjoy these German CVs a lot and I can't wait for Manfred von Richthofen. I even got the Iron Cross camo for her when she gets released! Sorry for the long post. I was gonna make a thread about the German CVs but you guys were ahead of the curve!

Thank you for the write up. Your observations match mine, but I'm limited to Tier IV and VI at the moment. It took some getting used to not using rocket planes against DD. Best time to use it on them was to stop a cap IMHO. The torps are GREAT for throwing of a DD. Best used as a delay tactic in my mind. I may get a few hits, but mostly I'm making them turn and retreat back so that the fleet can move up for guns. And I agree  you will surprise a few of them with their speed. Can't wait to get the 3rd plane in a flight as the right now DD's tend to avoid and ride the middle between my torps. 3rd may help with that. 

You didnt go into the Rocket planes an their use on cruisers at Tier 8? Ive had some good citadels with them at 6. I assume that is true for the AVP as well?

Members
11 posts
14,720 battles
5 hours ago, Roamer0101 said:

Thank you for the write up. Your observations match mine, but I'm limited to Tier IV and VI at the moment. It took some getting used to not using rocket planes against DD. Best time to use it on them was to stop a cap IMHO. The torps are GREAT for throwing of a DD. Best used as a delay tactic in my mind. I may get a few hits, but mostly I'm making them turn and retreat back so that the fleet can move up for guns. And I agree  you will surprise a few of them with their speed. Can't wait to get the 3rd plane in a flight as the right now DD's tend to avoid and ride the middle between my torps. 3rd may help with that. 

You didnt go into the Rocket planes an their use on cruisers at Tier 8? Ive had some good citadels with them at 6. I assume that is true for the AVP as well?

T4 Rhein is a citadel monster & Weser is good too, great in Operations. You can get tons of good strikes on the bots!

Yeah not hitting DDs with rockets is kinda strange at first, but the APs are incredible at hitting cruisers. I saved a video where I almost destroyed a Dallas in two passes at the start of a game, left him at like 400ish health; went in with DB and finished him off with an overpen. I kinda felt bad but it was awesome too.

The gap between Weser's torp plane drops is really big & DDs can easily slip between them most of the time. Parseval's 3 torp drop is trickier to dodge for DDs.

The AP rockets are fantastic at chunking & citadelling cruisers, but the ship mods for increasing squadron health are percentage based. The attack planes have significantly lower health, therefore slotting the Attack Planes Mod 2 only adds 7.5% to the already low health of the planes, in my opinion the boost in attack plane health isn't worth it. I'd rather have either the DB Mod or the TP Mod, which gives you a higher health bonus (along with both DB & TB in-game heal). I run the Attack Plane Mod 2 on my Midway specifically because of Halland's plane-shredder AA.

The first thing I do in-game is launch AP rocket squadron & scout/look for broadside cruisers to clap.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,390 battles
1 hour ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

T4 Rhein is a citadel monster & Weser is good too, great in Operations. You can get tons of good strikes on the bots!

Yeah not hitting DDs with rockets is kinda strange at first, but the APs are incredible at hitting cruisers. I saved a video where I almost destroyed a Dallas in two passes at the start of a game, left him at like 400ish health; went in with DB and finished him off with an overpen. I kinda felt bad but it was awesome too.

The gap between Weser's torp plane drops is really big & DDs can easily slip between them most of the time. Parseval's 3 torp drop is trickier to dodge for DDs.

The AP rockets are fantastic at chunking & citadelling cruisers, but the ship mods for increasing squadron health are percentage based. The attack planes have significantly lower health, therefore slotting the Attack Planes Mod 2 only adds 7.5% to the already low health of the planes, in my opinion the boost in attack plane health isn't worth it. I'd rather have either the DB Mod or the TP Mod, which gives you a higher health bonus (along with both DB & TB in-game heal). I run the Attack Plane Mod 2 on my Midway specifically because of Halland's plane-shredder AA.

The first thing I do in-game is launch AP rocket squadron & scout/look for broadside cruisers to clap.

Yes, I highly recommend taking weser into a training room to find the best location to aim at cruisers with ap rockets.  Correct aim rewards you greatly unlike the DB'S that seem super forgiving on BB's.

The problem I see is with the way the current T-4 meta is working a skilled CV in anything not german teamed up with a halfway decent DD will absolutely control the game if the enemy only has German CV'S. 

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles

Yeah it happened again.  I dropped on a Bismarck and a Tirpitz at least 4-5 times and only got 2 citadels total.  I REALLY wish I had more info on where to aim or how much their pen is because it's very deflating when you lose some planes going through the flak and you only get some pens here and there.  I added torp acc for the torpedoes to get them up to 60 knots to make it harder for the DD's to dodge them.  Now about the AP rockets.....Yes they do HUGE damage.  If I aim them right and get the broadside I can get 10k+ damage.  BUT.....there's a HUGE catch.  For one, any cruisers tier 8 or below will get clapped.  Tier 9 and 10, it depends on the cruisers.  Alaska's and the Russian tier 10 cruisers?  I've dropped on them full broadside many times and have only got regular pens.  The biggest issue I have about using the AP rockets on cruisers is, either I have really bad luck about this or EVERY single cruiser captain I run across is smart enough, but every time I drop on a cruiser he will be sailing broadside (No problems) and then right when I start my run that's when he starts turning and I might get at most 2k damage.  I've even tried to go all the way around and catch them when they are not looking and they still are able to angle enough.  Hell it was even more aggravating when I get these cruisers to turn full broadside into my team's guns and no one takes a shot.  I also run across the age old question CV captains ask themselves.  "Do I keep trying to kill this DD or not," and because this ship takes longer to kill DD's due to not having HE rockets or bombs, I end up not doing much damage in the match.  If I don't try to take out the DD's though, I end up losing matches because my team isn't taking them out either. 

Sign in to follow this