You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pirate_Named_Bob

Whats the point of AA again?

414 comments in this topic

[SEA-7]
Members
258 posts
5,184 battles

They feel as useless as secondaries on most BB's. Its a fun fireworks show but what doe they actually do? Okay cool, I shot down 20 planes. Did it keep the cv from taking most of my health and making multiple runs on my ships? No. Did it make the squadrons smaller? No. wth does it do? AND wth ARE THESE NEW AP ROCKETS.

Dodge!!!

Group together!!

Yeah okay

• Cool 18
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,034 posts
5,697 battles

To give people with a poor understanding of game mechanics who think they are the only ship in the game something to complain about.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 16

[GT3]
Members
152 posts
6,244 battles

Wanna know the wierdest part?

From the cv's perpective it feels like its shredding the planes.. Somehow both sides feel like they are getting rekt simultaneously.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

Members
302 posts
20 battles

The purpose of AA is to provide a time limit to a CV to surface ship interaction, to provide a decision making process for CV players to pick the targets they will most effectively be able to influence the game by targeting, and to provide consequences for poor CV decision making and execution. 

• Cool 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,258 battles
1 minute ago, Mego_Splat said:

Wanna know the wierdest part?

From the cv's perpective it feels like its shredding the planes.. Somehow both sides feel like they are getting rekt simultaneously.

Played on both sides. AA doesn't work against competent cv's. 

• Cool 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,489 posts
3,829 battles

PLACEBO

noun

1. a harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect.
    "his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years"
    • a substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.
    • a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Of course, the Russian cruisers seem to have working AA.  Imagine that.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
18 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

Fully upgraded Shikishima AA certainly works well.

[NUWES]
Members
3,139 posts
10,767 battles
30 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

The purpose of AA is to provide a time limit to a CV to surface ship interaction, to provide a decision making process for CV players to pick the targets they will most effectively be able to influence the game by targeting, and to provide consequences for poor CV decision making and execution. 

That may be the best explanation I've seen.

Edited by Tzarevitch
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFA]
Members
806 posts
6,765 battles

From the WG Wiki page And I quote:

"AA and AA reinforcement is a graphical interface to give the player a false sense of security in thinking that they have a snowballs chance in hell of shooting down any planes.

When in truth it's just a bunch of dotted lines flying off your ship to look cool" :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,139 posts
10,767 battles
10 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Fully upgraded Shikishima AA certainly works well.

Yep. Fully upgraded AA works quite well. It isn't an immunity shield but it will work. Most people don't invest in it then complain that their AA didn't work. 

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 4

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
11 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Yep. Fully upgraded AA works quite well. It isn't an immunity shield but it will work. Most people don't invest in it then complain that their AA didn't work. 

Yamato hull plus good AA renders Shikishima really close to being immune to CVs. You can afford to have auxiliary protection module on the ship rather than being forced to do main armaments protection module, so your AA is a lot more durable and long lasting. The hull can withstand air dropped ordnance of any dirt really well so even if aircraft make it in close enough to do drops, the Yamato class hulls can take the hits so well. Add in Shikishima’s plane melting AA and it renders the ship so close to being immune. 

I tried attacking a Shikishima with CV, and pretty sure it was not fully AA upgraded based on seeing ones that were. I still lost staggering numbers of fully survivability buffed aircraft to it.

• Haha 1

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,258 battles
3 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I ran full aa halland this past clan battle season. I would park next to our kremlin and provide him with aa. Even our combined aa could not stop strikes. The cv was guaranteed to get off at least 1 strike that would cause massive damage, therefore AA is not a proper counter. Good players don't just complain about what they don't understand. You can counter radar, you can counter HE spam, but you can't counter planes. 

Edited by eagle_lance
  • Cool 12
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[NH]
Members
1,771 posts
55 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

oh spicy,  got any t10 replays with AA not working?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,034 posts
5,697 battles
55 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

Working =/= Immunity, people need to start grasping that concept a bit tighter.   

I've had many a CV captain come after me again and again when I'm using ships with strong AA...I take some damage, sure, and I shoot down a ton of planes, and sooner or later, those plane groups start coming at me at half-capacity or less...and then I wipe them out before they do anything at all.   

People expect and want immunity to planes, if people could achieve immunity, then the CV class would serve no purpose at all.

• Cool 8
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 4

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,963 battles
56 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

Instead of "competent", I'd say  doesn't work against the unicum

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,963 battles

2 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

I ran full aa halland this past clan battle season. I would park next to our kremlin and provide him with aa. Even our combined aa could not stop strikes. The cv was guaranteed to get off at least 1 strike, therefore AA is not a proper counter.

First of all, full aa halland driver here.

Since when would you even think of being able to stop a shell strike 100% of the time?

1 strike out of 3 is countered

Ur wanting immunity from incoming fire - that doesn't happen in this game

• Cool 7

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,258 battles
17 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

oh spicy,  got any t10 replays with AA not working?

Plenty, I have a hard drive full of t10 games 

Edited by eagle_lance
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles

The purpose of AA is to wreck very bad CV players with flak clouds, so that their terrible performance makes CVs look balanced when the developers look at the averages.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,708 posts
1 hour ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

They feel as useless as secondaries on most BB's. Its a fun fireworks show but what doe they actually do? Okay cool, I shot down 20 planes. Did it keep the cv from taking most of my health and making multiple runs on my ships? No. Did it make the squadrons smaller? No. wth does it do? AND wth ARE THESE NEW AP ROCKETS. F*CK. 

Dodge!!!

Group together!!

Yeah okay, [edited].

Takes some damage after a few strikes over several minutes from planes as opposed to one citadel strike or instant deletion from a single BB shell or skill wall of torpedos. Shoots down 20 planes but claims the squadrons didn't get smaller. Throws in a cuss word or two cuzz that will make the thread original (not). Makes a cynical comment about available tactics and strategies. What are we supposed to do with this? Holy cow .

Op. It's not what you want to hear but I'd say you did quite well. You had multiple runs against your ship and you not only survived but spanked the carrier pretty hard for his efforts. Congratulations. I don't understand what the problem is beyond some frustration.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 4

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,963 battles

My gawd, the unicum really do want to be freaking immune

Edited by Anonymous50
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,708 posts
34 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

I ran full aa halland this past clan battle season. I would park next to our kremlin and provide him with aa. Even our combined aa could not stop strikes. The cv was guaranteed to get off at least 1 strike, therefore AA is not a proper counter. Good players don't just complain about what they don't understand. You can counter radar, you can counter HE spam, but you can't counter planes. 

You completely wipe out an entire *Tier 10* squadron in a *single pass* and then say it's not a counter. Wut?

Edited by thebigblue

Members
1,009 posts
8,377 battles

Its a placebo effect. They want you to give the feeling of accomplishment when you shoot down planes with no skill, but the planes shot down don't even matter since the CV regenerates planes and can still strike you even if he loses planes in the squadron. It's just a feel good game feature just like the karma system. Just makes you feel good

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,047 battles

There are beautiful fireworks display provided by WG to amuse you while you're stabbed in the gut a few dozen times until you're dead?

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1