Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

Got any recommendations for a RN ship/line to pick up?

11 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,250 battles

Title about sums it up. Recently, I finally completed the Captain Bad Advice collection and as such, I now have a 10 point RN captain sitting in my port, waiting for a ship. However, that's the rub: I don't have a ship to put her on and I don't know what to choose.

Currently, I have four RN ships in my fleet: HMS ExeterHMS WarspiteHMS Implacable, and HMS Indomitable, all of which I already have 10+ point captains for. As for the new ship, since I'm torn on what to pick, so I've decided, in a mild twist of irony, to turn the mic over to the rest of you in hopes of getting some good advice.

What do you guys think? Should I pick up one of the RN cruiser lines? Should I complete the Fleet Air Arm trifecta and buy the Ark Royal? Perhaps I should start my way down the RN DD line, or restart the RN BB line, or choose between LondonVanguardHood, and HMS Dreadnought for another premium? Feel free to let me know if you so choose.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers any advice.

Sincerely,

1Sherman.

*Update: Bought myself a Fiji based on your advice. If 108k damage, two kills, and the near single-handed fighting off of a Chapayev, an Atago, a Siegfried, and an FDG one after the other is any indication, I might just have to listen to you guys more often.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,546 posts

I dunno but The Ark Royal is one of my favorite CVs.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
59 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Title about sums it up. Recently, I finally completed the Captain Bad Advice collection and as such, I now have a 10 point RN captain sitting in my port, waiting for a ship. However, that's the rub: I don't have a ship to put her on and I don't know what to choose.

Currently, I have four RN ships in my fleet: HMS ExeterHMS WarspiteHMS Implacable, and HMS Indomitable, all of which I already have 10+ point captains for. As for the new ship, since I'm torn on what to pick, so I've decided, in a mild twist of irony, to turn the mic over to the rest of you in hopes of getting some good advice.

What do you guys think? Should I pick up one of the RN cruiser lines? Should I complete the Fleet Air Arm trifecta and buy the Ark Royal? Perhaps I should start my way down the RN DD line, or restart the RN BB line, or choose between LondonVanguardHood, and HMS Dreadnought for another premium? Feel free to let me know if you so choose.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers any advice.

Sincerely,

1Sherman.

Some solid RN tech tree ships for Tier V+... IMO, of course.

RNCLs

VI Leander - The first RNCL that actually is real good.  She also regularly is a good Ranked performer on the server.

VII Fiji - A strong ship in the RNCL Line and you'll hear some say she's the true highlight ship of this line and not Minotaur.  Also a great Ranked performer.

X Minotaur - RNCLs lose their massive torpedo loadout once you leave Tier V, and get it back +good 10km range torps in Tier IX-X.  Minotaur shoots very fast, but IX-X RNCLs are extremely unforgiving with exposed, large Citadels.  WG gave the IX-X ships of this line Super Heals for good reason.  IMO Minotaur is not newb friendly but a skilled player really makes her a PITA to deal with.  Newbs make mistakes in her that get her deleted real badly, but a savvy Mino player survives and is a menace.  There are few things more annoying than having a good push, then all the sudden a stealthy, sneaky Minotaur starts spamming shells from some island to your sides and is raking your superstructure for quick, high damage, to the point that even a BB will be alarmed by their HP dropping quickly.

RNCAs

X Goliath - Honestly, the line is pretty mediocre overall but Goliath is pretty good herself.  She does great damage dealing but nothing else.

RNBBs

VII King George V - 356mm guns in Tier VII on first glance sucks, but KGV covers that issue up.  She's pretty fast here, decently stealthy, and she reloads at 25 seconds.  She also has RNBB Mega HE and Short Fused AP.

X Conkeke - 419mm x12 main battery with RNBB Mega HE & Short Fused AP.  Pretty darn stealthy for a BB.  Has Super Heal for a BB.  People complain when they don't finish off a Conkeke and she comes back later on with basically a new hull :Smile_trollface:   I now Thunderer is the new hotness for RNBBs, but Conqueror sending 419mm x12 love letters to someone still means a lot.  Her Super Heal gives her a stubbornness to surive that Thunderer isn't as good in.

RNDDs

I'm not a DD Main and my expertise on this line isn't great.  That said, everybody heaps praises on IX Jutland, X Daring.  Jutland also does quite well in Tier IX Ranked.  Daring in X is one of the standard setters for Destroyers in that tier.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I have the Royal Navy DDs from tiers 5 though 10 on hand in port with all but one currently with it’s own captain and ready to head out not battle at a moment’s notice. (Jutland had to give up her captain to Daring as I fairly recently got Daring and have not yet gotten a suitable captain for Jutland made yet as I have some other ships “screaming loudly” for additional captain skill points. But Jutland will be made Operational again at the earliest possible time once other matters are resolved in my fleet.)

There are many nice qualities about the RN DDs, WG added them as DD killers, but they can do so much more than that. Their highly agile which is great for knife fighting or evading heavy fire which my Icarus can attest to with a battle that it scored well over 2 million potential damage, survived, sunk additional enemy ships, and won that battle even with heavy damage taken.

Their guns are rapid fire and hard hitting. They have hydro that may seem a bit short ranged, but in practice it’s very usable. AA guns are a little on the weak side, but the quick cool down smoke charges are great since just slam the engines into reverse and turn to stop quickly and apply the smoke makes up for the AA being a little weak. It lasts just long enough for CVs to get bored and move on. I also equip BFT skill to both increase the AA into reasonably good status and to increase my guns rate of fire.

Also the smoke is good for open water stealth firing so you can get some ships set on fire or useful for breaking line of sight after a bold torpedo run on a BB or something. Another added benefit is at least most of the RN DDs 

Another good reason for getting RN DDs is they were the absolute best sub hunters in the Submarine Mode. And I knew they would be after I had made a careful spread sheet of the depth charge damage outputs of all depth charge equipped ships in that mode.

The Torpedoes are a little on the short ranged side, but are hard enough hitting, and are flexible in their use since you have either the normal narrow spread or single fire launch choices. Most of the the time you will want the normal spread enabled just in case you get surprised and need to dump the torpedoes over immediately, which is possible with normal spread setting as you can get all torpedoes launched within a couple seconds instead of the 10+ seconds single fire would take. Single fire does have many useful moments though, but it’s just better to keep it on normal spread as default as I mentioned until the moments when single fire is better aririve.

All in all the Royal Navy DDs are excellent and in my opinion are one of the “ Classic Old Faithful Ships” which is not a title I give lightly and basically means the ships can and will go the distance long term. Only other DD lines I feel this way about are the Gearing and Shimakaze DD lines as they have and likely always be the best all around DDs no matter what WG throws into the game, well as long as DDs remain playable as a class that is. There is one catch with the RN DDs through, their play style is a little different and you have to adapt to it for the RN DDs to in turn serve you very well. If you can fit that play style they are excellent, if you can’t then they will be really bad. Kind of like the Graf Soee where either it suits a a player excellently or is horrifically bad for them with no real in between, but certainly is steady performing results in either of these outcomes for the player.

• Cool 1

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
104 posts
9,385 battles

Thunderer is basically stupid OP and is more or less the best UK premium you can possibly get.

line wise, the RN BB line is pretty ridiculous with its HE spam and zombie DRP’s, though the armor sucks and secondaries don’t exist.

[PVE]
Members
1,031 posts
8,573 battles

CLs or DDs are my recommendation. Fiji is crazy fun and the DDs are rather good provided you realize other DDs are faster than you and plan accordingly.

For BBs, I would just save coal and get Thunderer, its better than Lion and Conqueror IMO and I wish I had not bothered grinding the tech tree past T6.

The CAs are nothing special.

I can't speak to the carriers.

Members
3,727 posts

DDs are the best line but CVs ruined that.

The BBs are good but HE spam can get boring.

The Fiji is amazing but the rest of the CLs are meh.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

[1CVDV]
Members
158 posts
11,045 battles

light cruisers:leander is a great t6 learn the line/characteristics of the line.then you get Fiji which imo pound for pound is the best ship in the game.if you haven't fiji'd you haven't warshipped period!!!nuff said..

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

BBs:
KGV is fun to play, and was my go to fire starter before I got the Thunderer.
Conq was a lot of fun for me. Rush in and beat people up, then run away and heal.
Even though I have a perma camo for the Conq, I will take my Thunderer out first.
It takes less effort to play. Has great guns. And performs very well.

DDs: Lightning, Jutland, Daring, and the premium Cossack are all good ships.
I'm playing Jutland right now, and not worried about the CVs.

Light cruisers: Stopped at Edinburgh. The final 2 have been power crept.
Heavy cruisers: Stopped at Surrey. It's just too boring. Even the Goliath is meh.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,135 posts
14,323 battles

RN light cruisers can be agony until you get to the Leander, and then all of a sudden you are filled with a rush of power and the pain becomes worthwhile. The same rush of power comes when you move from the Leander to the Fiji and find your armament multiplied literally by 50%. However, you're going to need it because unlike when I ground it, T7 sees a lot of Tier 9 these days. Flamu once called it the best tech-tree T7 cruiser, but that was in the older MM meta when T7 was top tier much of the time and only infrequently T9's whipping boy.

I had a hard time with the battleships, but I was a newb. Oddly enough, the BB in which I have the best stats over an extended period, the best damage in Randoms, and one of my Krakens, is the Monarch - which is so often despised as the worst T8 BB and the worst in the entire RN BB line. Go figure. :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this