Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

Are you kidding me?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts

You are now not only forced to run WGC to update the game, now you're forced to run it full time???? not even an option to shut it down?

This touches my last nerve. There is no justifiable reason for it.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 1

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

You are now not only forced to run WGC to update the game, now you're forced to run it full time???? not even an option to shut it down?

Your late to the party big guy, the old launcher was put out to pasture like 2 patches ago...

Members
1,603 posts
25,123 battles

I'm running the game right now without the launcher. The .exe file launches the launcher. The launcher launches the game. I right-click the launcher after I'm in the game and close it.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
264 posts
9,187 battles
34 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Steady on.

You don't have to run the launcher all the time. In the launcher screen, click the gear icon on the left side. In "General," check the box next to "Exit game center when I close the main window." Un-check "Launch game center when I start my computer" and "Minimize Game Center to the taskbar notification area when I launch a game."
Now the launcher will not run until you run it. Use it to launch the game.

Shut down the launcher in the usual way: click the X icon in the top right corner of the launcher window. You can do this any time after the game loads, even while you are still playing the game.

Edited by imaginary_b
Use the correct word, not its nearest cousin
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
56 minutes ago, imaginary_b said:

Shut down the launcher in the usual way: click the X icon in the top right corner of the launcher window. You can do this any time after the game loads, even while you are still playing the game.

Well it actually only minimizes it as it still runs in the background. There are a couple of programs that keep running with it too, one that I can remember offhand is "Wargaming error reporting" or something like that. I find no performance difference with WGC running while playing the game and when it isn't so don't bother with shutting it down. When I am done playing, it is far more efficient just to "Crtrl+Alt+Del" the game and launcher since it takes so freaking long for it to shut down. This issue is only with Ships. Tanks and Planes shut down very quickly when you use the in game commands. IMHO it is an optimization problem, one that the other two titles have figured out. 

Members
5,364 posts
34 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

When I am done playing, it is far more efficient just to "Crtrl+Alt+Del" the game and launcher since it takes so freaking long for it to shut down.

This is a 'you' issue with you and/or your computer.   

I have no issue leaving the game or the launcher.  Also, if you have the settings right, hitting close on the launcher closes it, and it does not go in the tray.

I start the game with the launcher on my screen to my right, and the game launches on the screen in front of me.  Then I close the launcher while the game client loads.  It is not in the tray after that, either.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
1 hour ago, Kirov_Six said:

This is a 'you' issue with you and/or your computer.   

I have no issue leaving the game or the launcher.  Also, if you have the settings right, hitting close on the launcher closes it, and it does not go in the tray.

I start the game with the launcher on my screen to my right, and the game launches on the screen in front of me.  Then I close the launcher while the game client loads.  It is not in the tray after that, either.

Ehh it is possible I suppose.

No, closing the launcher does not close all the programs associated with it. I understand the difference between minimizing to tray and actually closing programs. 

Again, Ships will close, but it closes too slowly for my tastes unlike Planes and Tanks. It is a Ships thing only. 

BTW my wife is a programmer and she thinks (without delving into the code) that it is an optimization issue with the game. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I know this no use for 95% of the people here but on Mac, you can fully close the launcher after your gaming session

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,892 posts
11,513 battles
3 hours ago, awiggin said:

Buy some more ram if you are that worried about it.  Unless you are way overdue for a new computer you will never know it’s there....

• Cool 1

[BTH]
Members
319 posts
16,562 battles

It is impossible to bypass WGC now. What I do is to launch the game from WGC and manually exit it. WGC will start again while the game is loading so I have to close it again. :fish_boom:

[NG-NL]
Members
264 posts
9,187 battles
3 hours ago, imaginary_b said:

Steady on.

You don't have to run the launcher all the time. In the launcher screen, click the gear icon on the left side. In "General," check the box next to "Exit game center when I close the main window." Un-check "Launch game center when I start my computer" and "Minimize Game Center to the taskbar notification area when I launch a game."
Now the launcher will not run until you run it. Use it to launch the game.

2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well it actually only minimizes it as it still runs in the background. There are a couple of programs that keep running with it too, one that I can remember offhand is "Wargaming error reporting" or something like that. I find no performance difference with WGC running while playing the game and when it isn't so don't bother with shutting it down. When I am done playing, it is far more efficient just to "Crtrl+Alt+Del" the game and launcher since it takes so freaking long for it to shut down. This issue is only with Ships. Tanks and Planes shut down very quickly when you use the in game commands. IMHO it is an optimization problem, one that the other two titles have figured out. 

I wrote my first paragraph for you. Disable minimizing the game. Then it really does close. There's no trick; it's just a setting.

Yes, the game also forks a process to trap errors. If  you trust the game part but not the error reporter part, then block it with a firewall or something. If force-killing the game helps you feel safe, do that. Don't offer technical explanations for why it's necessary, because that invites technical replies. Just do what you gotta do.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,525 posts
On 7/9/2020 at 2:01 AM, imaginary_b said:

IMHO it is an optimization problem, one that the other two titles have figured out. 

As far as the launcher itself and related processes... they are supposed to support every game. Hence, per that type of a statement, optimization would be after the launcher, in the actual game. If they are running two or more code bases for game entrance and exit, that'd be well... not smart. 

Members
5,263 posts
9,965 battles

Sigh - quite the game and then right click on the WGC and EXIT.  Basic.Windows.Functionality.

Edited by CylonRed

Sign in to follow this