Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Suggestion for secondaries

8 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
659 posts
3,452 battles

We all know and love the meme build with secondaries, be it on the german and french BBs, or Massa, Georgia etc. They are fun, in situations just a spectacle to behold, and a ship like Massa just sitting there and spraying you with 5" shells over a ridge is hilarious.

However, I think we all agree on the fact that a full secondary build is seldomly optimal due to the large costs in points for your commander and the very situational nature of their use. While many have commented and asked for straight up buffing secondaries, I think this can't be the answer as WG has stated they have no intention in doing so because they are automatic in nature and they are against 'automatic damage' without skill.

So, I would suggest to slightly rework how secondaries work to make them more meaningful, fun, and also more skill based. One way that came to mind was for example the ability to change ammo on the secondaries, maybe even on a per target base. While this would introduce a lot of micro-management to the game, it would certainly improve the impact of some secondary builds while requiring a bit more finesse and skill compared to now. Maybe by making this a captain skill the issue of micro-management could be alleviated by making it a 'opt-in' part of the game.

Another possible mechanic would be to let the player chose between different points of aim for the secondaries, i.e. whether secondaries aim for the waterline, superstructure, bow, or stern. Similar to the suggestion above this would make secondaries more of an effort while rewarding players who manage them wisely.

I thought I share these suggestions with all of you as an alternative to the usual requests for 'more damage' or 'better accuracy' or secondaries. Any thoughts on this?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,463 posts
3,825 battles

Would be nice to have a radial menu over the target to manage the secondaries for the specs you said (ammo, aim location). Using it would be quick and simple and we get a bit more depth and customization on the gameplay

[TF16B]
Modder
650 posts
799 battles

Taking it a step further, what if it's tied to the manual secondaries skill? Could make it more enticing to research if it not only offers that perk but also the ability to switch between AP or HE.

[TIMT]
Members
659 posts
3,452 battles
10 minutes ago, Mailman653 said:

Taking it a step further, what if it's tied to the manual secondaries skill? Could make it more enticing to research if it not only offers that perk but also the ability to switch between AP or HE.

Exactly! This would make speccing into it more worthwhile, while adding a bit more skill into the secondaries.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

I have several secondary build ships knowing full well they are a bit of a novelty. Instead of buffing secondaries directly, they could buff the skills to make investing in them more worthwhile. Not holding my breath though lol

[TIMT]
Members
659 posts
3,452 battles
7 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Instead of buffing secondaries directly, they could buff the skills to make investing in them more worthwhile.

This was my point, instead of just buffing damage or make them more accurate just give us more options what to do with them.

Quite frankly, BBs have insane secondary armaments in some cases which is almost equal to the firepower of light cruisers. I get they cannot just add that amount of firepower, but it would be nice for variety if the secondary play style had more things for you to do such as more in-depth target queuing, ammo selection and maybe finer grained target selection. The idea with the radial menu is nice, though switching ammo types might be a bit weird with that, maybe instead bind it to a hotkey?

I really wish this would be added, or at least considered.

Members
32 posts
9 battles

The first thing that should have been done and should be done is alowing secondaries with the manial fires for secondary skill to shoot from both side of the ship.
If they dont want to buff the secondary they or change the skill reduce the price tag for it. 4point is way to much for what it does.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles
2 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

they are against 'automatic damage' without skill.

We still have woefully unbalanced post rework CVs in the game, so I wouldn't say that statement is entirely true.

Sign in to follow this