You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Meta_Man

Destroyers how to deal with radar guide

15 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles

Hello captains , I put together a video from a game I had showing and explaining my rules I go by and thought process to deal with radar , enjoy. Please subscribe to my you tube channel Meta_Man2002 as I have been adding "How to videos " mostly for destroyers.  happy hunting.

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
2 hours ago, Silver_not_grey said:

Thanks, this was helpful. 

You are welcome and any other topics or this subject more in depth just add to comments, happy hunting Captain 😎 please subscribe to my channel it shows people are watching Meta_man2002 I started a new clan and am looking for active players, looking for all tier players looking to improve and play as a team META_

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

WoWS Community Contributors
3,487 posts
13,955 battles

Nice video!

Always great to see educational content for this game, Gods know many need it!

To add to your content, I figured I'd share some of my tips I have shared before on sorting out radar.

As you state in the video most ships have radar ranges less than their surface detection ranges.  Initially rather than seeking cover, I try to scout likely paths a radar CA might take to sneak into cover very early in the game.  First this lets me know what I am likely dealing with in front of me and helps me make better decisions later in the game, and seconds provides opportunity for my BBs to punish the offending ships.  As a sneaky ship open water is your friend.

A concern I would have had in your position would be not the BBs and CAs, but a red DD smoking up while you are radar detected.  From the torps, it was evident they were in an area that likely had shots behind your island.  Frequently I wont contest caps, but rather use the cap as bait if I have a ship that will radar an enemy DD.  I go to a position outside enemy radar range, and where I can shoot behind any cover in the cap my team mates cannot cover with their guns.  This results in me getting a lot of good trades early on red DDs.  Planning to bunker down without an escape plan is risky.  

Rather than going to cover I usually prefer to work the edges of a cap/enemy radar positions, angled at torp threats, ready to drive away at a moments notice.  By being in open water I'll see a radar ship coming in most cases, and I can use the island cover a radar ship needs to approach me concealed against them in positioning.  Remember there is a six second render delay before the radar ship's team mates can see you to shoot you.  Use this time to make your exit, and come back when radar is on cool down.  By staying in the open I provide a constant source of vision for my team to use.

I have alluded to knowing where the enemy radar is, and the trick I use on the fly is using your mini map.  Enable your max gun and torp ranges.  Most DDs these give you circles that come within a few kilometres of the radar ranges you will face.  You then use that as an indicator to show you where safety is in relation to possible concealed radar positions.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
23 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Nice video!

Always great to see educational content for this game, Gods know many need it!

To add to your content, I figured I'd share some of my tips I have shared before on sorting out radar.

As you state in the video most ships have radar ranges less than their surface detection ranges.  Initially rather than seeking cover, I try to scout likely paths a radar CA might take to sneak into cover very early in the game.  First this lets me know what I am likely dealing with in front of me and helps me make better decisions later in the game, and seconds provides opportunity for my BBs to punish the offending ships.  As a sneaky ship open water is your friend.

A concern I would have had in your position would be not the BBs and CAs, but a red DD smoking up while you are radar detected.  From the torps, it was evident they were in an area that likely had shots behind your island.  Frequently I wont contest caps, but rather use the cap as bait if I have a ship that will radar an enemy DD.  I go to a position outside enemy radar range, and where I can shoot behind any cover in the cap my team mates cannot cover with their guns.  This results in me getting a lot of good trades early on red DDs.  Planning to bunker down without an escape plan is risky.  

Rather than going to cover I usually prefer to work the edges of a cap/enemy radar positions, angled at torp threats, ready to drive away at a moments notice.  By being in open water I'll see a radar ship coming in most cases, and I can use the island cover a radar ship needs to approach me concealed against them in positioning.  Remember there is a six second render delay before the radar ship's team mates can see you to shoot you.  Use this time to make your exit, and come back when radar is on cool down.  By staying in the open I provide a constant source of vision for my team to use.

I have alluded to knowing where the enemy radar is, and the trick I use on the fly is using your mini map.  Enable your max gun and torp ranges.  Most DDs these give you circles that come within a few kilometres of the radar ranges you will face.  You then use that as an indicator to show you where safety is in relation to possible concealed radar positions.

Thanks I like and respect your videos, commentaries and opinions. You are probably right but I actually sometimes try to just be inside the radar range (1-1.5km)so I can escape unharmed(mostly) but the reason I do this is to know when he or she used the radar. So I know I have free reign for the next 1.5-2 minutes... Your opinion is much appreciated, I am a fan and am subscribed to your channel. 

Edited by Meta_Man

Members
12 posts

Good video, however, you are not playing with torpedoes which makes a huge difference while you hide behind an island and shoot.  So your ship does well behind cover.  So for you, yes this works great, but it will not work completely for DD's with torpedoes. RADAR should be toned down in the game, as it is now it makes the Smoke completely obsolete, which is the only consumable that makes another consumable obsolete.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
On 7/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, SHAEFIKE said:

Good video, however, you are not playing with torpedoes which makes a huge difference while you hide behind an island and shoot.  So your ship does well behind cover.  So for you, yes this works great, but it will not work completely for DD's with torpedoes. RADAR should be toned down in the game, as it is now it makes the Smoke completely obsolete, which is the only consumable that makes another consumable obsolete.

I hear what you're saying but if you watched my other videos i mainly use French destroyers so your argument is heard but not valid.

Members
449 posts
On 7/8/2020 at 2:32 PM, Meta_Man said:

Hello captains , I put together a video from a game I had showing and explaining my rules I go by and thought process to deal with radar , enjoy. Please subscribe to my you tube channel Meta_Man2002 as I have been adding "How to videos " mostly for destroyers.  happy hunting.

LMFA0.  Your own video acknowledges only 2 radar ships.  2 is not a problem, never was.  It's 3, 4 and 5 radar ships that's a problem.  And, then add a CV.   You know this.  What's next, a "Dealing with CVs Guide" video where the CV is T8 and you're a T10 Des Moines or Minotaur.  Funny.

Edited by nhf

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
11 minutes ago, nhf said:

LMFA0.  Your own video acknowledges only 2 radar ships.  2 is not a problem, never was.  It's 3, 4 and 5 radar ships that's a problem.  And, then add a CV.   You know this.  What's next, a "Dealing with CVs" video where the CV is T8 and you're T10.  Funny.

I win in dds at all tiers... Gearing hovers around 60%,fletcher 60%, Le Terrible /le fantastique 63%-65%,kidd56%... I have 3 dds in the whole game I'm below 50%....i know what and how to win in all dd nations and I don't feel radars or cvs slow me down.. I adjust to them better than my opponents, bottom line... We can't see your stats so hard to judge the words you write whether you know what you're talking about... My dd and CV record are for all to see. 

Members
21 posts
2,068 battles
On 7/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, Meta_Man said:

I hear what you're saying but if you watched my other videos i mainly use French destroyers so your argument is heard but not valid.

You doing good or not with French Destroyers don't invalidate the argument that Radar makes smoke obsolete for Torpedo Boat Destroyers, specially those who only good thing in the kit is their Torpedo Tubes.

Radar should be toned down, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. You being able to play around it don't mean it's a fair mechanic, neither something fun to play against.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
5 minutes ago, sone_ka said:

You doing good or not with French Destroyers don't invalidate the argument that Radar makes smoke obsolete for Torpedo Boat Destroyers, specially those who only good thing in the kit is their Torpedo Tubes.

Radar should be toned down, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. You being able to play around it don't mean it's a fair mechanic, neither something fun to play against.

1+1=2 is a fact , your radar opinion is an opinion. I like radar right where it is. If you watched my other videos I probably use my torps and kill ships with torps more than most captains.

Edited by Meta_Man
add message

Members
21 posts
2,068 battles
19 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

1+1=2 is a fact , your radar opinion is an opinion. I like radar right where it is. If you watched my other videos I probably use my torps and kill ships with torps more than most captains.

As I said before, it's not because you can play around it that it is a fair mechanic.

Between Radar, CVs and the commander skill that points direction of the closest ship to you, trying to play dd torp is always a high risk - low reward situation, the only thing that amenizes it (Smoke) is hard-countered by Radar.

Radar is unfair to play against and it's a fact. Full detection around the ship no matter what's in between is far from a good mechanic.

WG is shitting on stealth for a long time, and trying to convince it's balanced on high level don't make it true. The game isn't Tier 10 / Ranked only.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
22 minutes ago, sone_ka said:

As I said before, it's not because you can play around it that it is a fair mechanic.

Between Radar, CVs and the commander skill that points direction of the closest ship to you, trying to play dd torp is always a high risk - low reward situation, the only thing that amenizes it (Smoke) is hard-countered by Radar.

Radar is unfair to play against and it's a fact. Full detection around the ship no matter what's in between is far from a good mechanic.

WG is shitting on stealth for a long time, and trying to convince it's balanced on high level don't make it true. The game isn't Tier 10 / Ranked only.

Again, opinion.... I use torps a lot. In my le terrible I've played 10 games in ranked this season with 9 torp kills 5 gun kills.... 

DDs are almost over powered in my eyes... I sneak up on almost a ship a game and delete them... How is that fun and engaging for them..I play high risk /high reward style.. It's in my videos... I win at it more than I lose... I think I'm a loser in only 3 dds in the entire game... Orkan, khabarovsk, friesland... All weak torps or no torps... No other class can delete others with such ease. Check out my YouTube channel Meta_man2002 and watch my style.. You'll see tons of torp kills.... I just don't want it to get easier than it already is... Not trying to argue but I think they are the strongest class besides CV. 

Members
21 posts
2,068 battles
3 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Not trying to argue but I think they are the strongest class besides CV. 

Now I see that you're either trolling or baiting.

If it were 4-5 years ago I could try to agree with you, but now? You don't play the in the same matchmaking as I play, for sure.

Playing DD is frustrating no matter what you try to do.

• Lurk near island? Detected by Radar or Plane
  • Sneak past ships? Detected by Radar or Plane
  • Shot a long range torp? Another ship hidden behind an island uses Radar and detects you
  • Uses smoke for whatever reason? Radar detects you
  • Spawns? Planes making you sit for a minute or two waiting they move
  • Gets detected by Radar or Plane by 2 seconds? 4 Salvos coming right in your direction at minimum

Really overpowered indeed, wow, why not give DDs BB's concealment instead, this way Radar won't be as useful as before #sarcasm

But whatever, it's just an opinion when it's from me, when it's from you it's the universal truth directly from the Dev's mouth.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,926 battles
27 minutes ago, sone_ka said:

Now I see that you're either trolling or baiting.

If it were 4-5 years ago I could try to agree with you, but now? You don't play the in the same matchmaking as I play, for sure.

Playing DD is frustrating no matter what you try to do.

• Lurk near island? Detected by Radar or Plane
  • Sneak past ships? Detected by Radar or Plane
  • Shot a long range torp? Another ship hidden behind an island uses Radar and detects you
  • Uses smoke for whatever reason? Radar detects you
  • Spawns? Planes making you sit for a minute or two waiting they move
  • Gets detected by Radar or Plane by 2 seconds? 4 Salvos coming right in your direction at minimum

Really overpowered indeed, wow, why not give DDs BB's concealment instead, this way Radar won't be as useful as before #sarcasm

But whatever, it's just an opinion when it's from me, when it's from you it's the universal truth directly from the Dev's mouth.

Not trolling at all.... I can screen shot my dds if you need me to.... I'm 55% winrate in dds across the board even counting the dds I didn't do well in... Gearing 58%,fletcher 60%,kidd56%,Le Terrible 64.5%,le fantastique63%, Lower tiers are even stronger...... My losers are khabarovsk, orkan, friesland..... I play all nations and most tiers..... It's just an experience gap probably, dds are high risk high reward but can be tamed.... I just pull drive by ship deletions too often to not consider them a really strong class... Check out my videos Meta_man2002.... I don't do the whole play all day to come up with a good game.. I play and when I see things I think others could learn from I post it.