You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DolphinPrincess

Verdict of Unique Upgrades 0.9.7

13 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,417 battles

I am going to explain each upgrade in the dev blog here: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/44

If you have a limited amount of research points, hopefully this guide will help you decide which one if worth your time getting.

Please note that this only considers solo randoms, but more importantly, I am only going to be focused on the optimal gameplay. 

If you want to get a unique upgrade and play a ship in a different way to have fun, that's your subjective opinion and its fully up to you if that fun is "worth" the research points.

Z-52

This is probably the most irrelevant upgrade, it changes 2 parameters that does nothing. Basically, you lose 5% concealment (since you would normally gain -10%) in exchange for 15% torpedo reload. Neither parameters really matter to the Z-52 in its current state. Ever since the buff to its HE penetration, Z-52 now have 32mm of pen without sacrificing fire chance. It is now, like the Harugumo, a long ranged HE spammer because its pen allows it to damage a larger surface area and it can afford AFT since IFHE is not needed. This means that concealment is of little value to the Z-52. Sadly, the torpedo reload is also of little to no value, normally with the already fast reload of Z52 torps, you can reduce it down enough such that you can launch torpedoes at distance, smoke, and still will have torpedoes available again should the target decide to charge you. This would had been a nice advantage however because the Z52's smoke is so horrible, it will dissipate before the torpedo reload rendering such tactic pointless. Overall this is not a good investment because why would you pay research points when you can just pay 2 million credits to get an equally good upgrade.

Grozovoi

This upgrade pre nerf was absolutely a straight up upgrade over MBM3. You gain reload on gun in exchange for reload on torps. After the nerf, well, what nerf? This legendary mod can literally say +10000% to torpedo reload time such that I will never be able to use torpedoes in a game and it would STILL be a straight up upgrade. Because Grozovoi is a pure gun boat and its no exaggeration to say that 98-99% of its damage comes from guns. If you plan to play Grozovoi, get this upgrade.

Moskva

Moskva's upgrade was once a must have for randoms as well because it offered both reload and range. This is better than the reload or range mod because Moskva just needed a little bit more range than the default range. Having better dispersion was mainly an advantage to be used in competitive but a nice bonus nevertheless for randoms. The nerf to the upgrade hurts but the upgrade will still be better than the other options because it gives you enough range to comfortably be able to shoot at targets and still comes with some reload and accuracy bonuses. It is no longer a must have but a good to have instead. However, before getting this upgrade, you must consider the existence of Petro, which is better than Moskva in a lot of areas. 

Minotaur

Terrible, do not ever get this one. The reason is how the smoke works. The smoke generator consumable goes on cooldown not the moment you use it, but the moment the action time expires. What makes Minotaur good is that the downtime in-between smokes is very short. Once your smoke runs out, your next smoke should be almost ready again. This gives Minotaur nearly "permanent" smoke allowing it to get into key areas and stay safe. The legendary mod reduces your smoke dispersion time without changing the reload which means the time you spend outside of your smoke and vulnerable to incoming fire is increased dramatically, and action time of smoke does not reduce that time. And if you played the Minotaur before, you know that being shot at in the Mino leads to bad things.

Zao

Zao's unique upgrade, like the Moskva's, was once a must have. And unlike the Moskva's upgrade, Zao's upgrade was not really nerfed. 20% rudder shift is not significant as people may think. The maneuverability of a ship is dependent on turning circle, not rudder shift. Let me give you an example. Lets say ship A have 10s rudder shift and 1000m turning circle. Ship B have 20s rudder shift and 500m turning circle, both ships start turning at the same time. For the first 10 seconds, they turn the same. Ship A will have double the rudder but half the circle, but as soon as that 10 seconds is reached ship A will not be able to turn any faster while ship B will continue to turn tighter. By the time it takes for both ships to make a 180 turn, ship B would have done it much faster than A. This upgrade is still a must have for Zao, Zao has been powercept by a lot of HE spammers but it still retains the fact that it can get close with concealment and blap a destroyer for 10k+ with HE, and you want the tighter dispersion to ensure it happens.

Yamato

Remember Montana? You have the choice between reload and 11% dispersion on the 6th slot, and the majority of players choose dispersion over reload. Yamato's new unique upgrade is 7% vs the same reload module (MBM3). Plus, unlike Montana, Yamato suffers greatly from turret traverse, it just isn't as powerful with the 6% reload. Yamato's unique upgrade is one that I think WG did the best at balancing it, it is now truly up to the player to decide between DPM and Accuracy. Get this mod if you love to play the Yamato or if you have plenty of research points, otherwise there are better unique upgrades to get.

Daring

You trade concealment for torpedoes, a lot like Z52. But unlike the Z52, Daring does not have the shell velocity nor the pen nor the range. Daring is a close range HE spammer, it can do so because of its powerful smokes and knife fighting abilities. Therefore you do not want to trade concealment away. Daring is still a pure gun boat, the torpedoes does not help it in any significant way while trading concealment trades effective DPM. Do not get this unique upgrade.

Kleber

THIS MOD IS A JOKE

You want to trade half your firepower? What is a good comparison, how about Colbert vs Marceau. Marceau have better concealment but half the firepower of Colbert, while also:

Do you want to play a Marceau that is much slower, have no torpedoes, can take AP pens, have a citadel, is more than twice the size? No? Then don't take this mod, because that's what you are signing up for.

Harugumo

In direct contrast to Kleber, this unique upgrade is straightup overpowered and a must have for Harugumo. You lose concealment for better smoke. As I talked about with Z-52, you do not need concealment for Harugumo as it is a long range HE spammer, you can not get close because you take BB AP pens and its too unmanuverable to take close range engagements. What the Harugumo does have, is sheer DPM. Doubling the action time allows you to make a very larger smoke to mitigate one of Harugumo's biggest weaknesses: Being torpedoed in smoke. And having 30% on dispersion time means that you have a 126 second smoke with a 144 second cooldown. Imagine being a Battleship being HE spammed by this thing for 2 minutes, then just when you thought its finally over, the next smoke is up in 18 seconds, faster than your battleship gun reload. This mod not only mitigates Harugumo's weakness but also allows it to continuously spam with its monster DPM thus amplifying its strength. Absolutely overpowered mod and a must have.

Kremlin

Terrible. First of all the bonus isn't nearly as big as you think, it replaces MBM3 which means you only get a 5% bonus not 18%. Assuming the average game time of 15minutes, you are only going to get off at most 2 extra salvos. I don't care how aggressive you are as a player, you miss out on a salvo as you push in and you would at least miss out on another for dying faster due to having 25% less heals and 1 less DCP. Even if you are literally in the center of the map there will be ships more than 19km away from you and you will be missing out on shots onto broadside targets due to lack of range. Finally, being aggressive in a BB in 2020 is better known as being suicidal in a BB, the mod enforces a very bad habit and is certainly not worth the research points.

• Cool 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles
7 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

snip.

Thanks for the overview, kinda confirms my suspicions.

Regarding the Harugumo time, did you take into account the Smoke Upgrade as well? Should practically give Harugumo crawling smoke, and with 5 charges on SI should be pretty darn strong.

Members
1,055 posts
4,376 battles

Huh. I was planning on doing this today. Guess you saved me some extra time.

+1, nice write-up too.

-Shrayes

Edit: I also gotta ask, what's your opinion on the DM legendary in it's current state?

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
3,026 posts
5,943 battles

And remember kids...they are only upgrades until they get popular and then spreadsheet will say they intended them to be side-grades all along.

• Cool 1

Members
116 posts
1,464 battles
1 hour ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Zao's unique upgrade, like the Moskva's, was once a must have. And unlike the Moskva's upgrade, Zao's upgrade was not really nerfed. 20% rudder shift is not significant as people may think. The maneuverability of a ship is dependent on turning circle, not rudder shift. Let me give you an example. Lets say ship A have 10s rudder shift and 1000m turning circle. Ship B have 20s rudder shift and 500m turning circle, both ships start turning at the same time. For the first 10 seconds, they turn the same. Ship A will have double the rudder but half the circle, but as soon as that 10 seconds is reached ship A will not be able to turn any faster while ship B will continue to turn tighter. By the time it takes for both ships to make a 180 turn, ship B would have done it much faster than A. This upgrade is still a must have for Zao, Zao has been powercept by a lot of HE spammers but it still retains the fact that it can get close with concealment and blap a destroyer for 10k+ with HE, and you want the tighter dispersion to ensure it happens

Curious, the Zao already has Destroyer level dispersion on her shells, the 7% isn't likely to impact it that much then is it? The way, I see it is the UU is a good choice if you run the turret traverse mod in slot 3 because doubling down on the dispersion doesn't sound like it would provide as much a benefit. Also, the straight up range is a very comfortable pick for her, the ability to land 10/12 shells at 18km cause of her dispersion can be a godsend when forced to play the backline. 

[D3BT]
Members
371 posts
6,199 battles

I wish they would have done something completely different for the Harugumo module. Smoke would not have been my first choice.

[B_Y_F]
Members
524 posts
13,318 battles

I see you are not a torpedoe man at all. 

But still good writing, thanks for the time invested. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,448 posts
6,499 battles

Midway UU straight up looks like a must have... One of the few i noticed in the group. 

X MIDWAY, Slot 6 

• +10% to bombers cruising speed 
  • +10% to HE bombs damage 

Giving up AGM 2 7.5% HPs to planes..  but should gain it back from additional speed though AA...    No brainer IMO

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles
17 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

I see you are not a torpedoe man at all. 

But still good writing, thanks for the time invested. 

Torps are far too inconsistent. You don't get to the top of most leaderboards with torp specs

[O7]
Supertester
194 posts
12,407 battles

For the CV Unique upgrades:

Audacious

9.9km surface detect and 7.7km air detect is quite good and allows the Aud to position fairly close to the front lines, leading to lower downtime between strikes and more DPM. However, autopilot is likely to get you killed so you will have to manually position the CV.

Overall a high-risk high reward upgrade that requires a specialized build and playstyle built around the UU,. Strong for those who know how to aggressively position their CVs, but probably not worth for the vast majority of CV captains. 

Midway

Buffs only the DBs, which is arguably Midway's strongest squad. The tradeoff for weaker TBs isn't too bad but the weaker rockets can be an issue. Overall a solid upgrade for Midway, but not necessary for players who value Midway's versatility. 

Hakuryu

Practically a direct upgrade over +5% cruising speed. Spending less time in AA is more important than faster speeds outside of combat. Players should be saving boost for attack runs anyways. I expect this UU to be changed or nerfed. If it doesn't happen, then it becomes a excellent buy for dedicated Hakuryu players. 

Remember the UU stats are subject to change. Do not assume my evaluation will be 100% accurate as theoretical performance may differ from actual performance

Edited by Your_SAT_Score
  • Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,391 battles

I would personally play a Colbert over a Marceau, marceau guns isn't even half that of colbert's firepower, while both use same guns, the 127s on Marceau just have dumb down ballistics and dmg and longer reload time.

Kleber looks like it can be a better but riskier halland in its torpedo boat playstyle with the UU but that gun reload trade off ugh.. 203mm CAs flex their gun reload times on it