You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RebelBadger001

How can I make AP work seems broken

9 comments in this topic

[RNGOD]
[RNGOD]
Members
7 posts
8,794 battles

I am not sure what I am doing wrong I am watching AP hit the center of ships and still getting Over pens I understand the concept of all or nothing armor on ships so I understand an OP at the front or rear of the ship.  But I am getting multiple OPs in the dead center of the ship.  I was told in game that in their infinite wisdom the great and mighty WG Devs had changed AP rounds so you can still OP even when you hit the center of the ship.  Is there a trick to getting AP to work like it used to or is it all RNG God randomness?  I mean you should not have a broadside of AP hit dead center and get 5 over pens. Please save the "Get Gud" answers no one actually finds them funny. 

Any real suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

[META_]
Members
693 posts
15,116 battles
7 minutes ago, RebelBadger001 said:

I am not sure what I am doing wrong I am watching AP hit the center of ships and still getting Over pens I understand the concept of all or nothing armor on ships so I understand an OP at the front or rear of the ship.  But I am getting multiple OPs in the dead center of the ship.  I was told in game that in their infinite wisdom the great and mighty WG Devs had changed AP rounds so you can still OP even when you hit the center of the ship.  Is there a trick to getting AP to work like it used to or is it all RNG God randomness?  I mean you should not have a broadside of AP hit dead center and get 5 over pens. Please save the "Get Gud" answers no one actually finds them funny. 

only way someone can advise you is if we see video of where you are hitting them , what distance and what thickness of the red ship

[CLUMP]
Members
544 posts
991 battles

It's mostly rng even if you aim at weak points doesn't mean citadel you do get high damage though :fish_cute_2: Still though aiming and dispersion in this game is questionable at best :fish_palm: 

Members
83 posts

I believe the answer is that you can improve your chances of solid hits somewhat with skill and practice; but that AP is also a little bit broken. Intentionally broken, but broken all the same.

Edited by ProfessorLumpy

[POP]
Members
928 posts
8,427 battles

There has been a trend when building cruisers to give them such thin armor that even when broadside you will overpen them with larger caliber AP.  It has gotten to the point where you need to memorize armor profiles of ships to correctly select AP vs HE when shooting at a certain ship however as a general rule this is what I go by.

Large caliber BB guns;

Broadside BB's, AP aim at waterline (mid to rear of ship is thicker however some BB's are easier to citadel near the front).

Bow in BB's, HE if you have to use AP aim at the superstructure 

Broadside heavy cruisers, AP just below the waterline toward the rear of the ship.

Bow in heavy cruisers, AP right through the nose if 18" guns.

Broadside light cruisers, HE all day

Bow in or bow away, AP.  Length of the ship allows time for the fuse to arm

DD's in any direction (except for Khab) HE all day.

With hat said, these are a general rule as there is an exception for just about every ship class.  Yes it seems very gimmicky in favor of some cruisers (smolensk i am looking at you) as some light cruisers will still get absolutely wrecked by ap when broadside (worcester, atlanta, flint for example).   I also do not think the armor pen calculations take into account for things that would add resistance (armor value) and allow for larger caliber shells time to arm.   Things such as interior parts, walls, compartments engine transmissions, gears etc if hit would slow shells down.  Even passing through the hull below the waterline on exit would add armor value.  I do not believe any of this is take into account.  Yes I think its complete [edited].  With the sheer DPM that some cruisers can put out and the range and accuracy they can do it with, if they are dumb enough to get caught broadside inside of 12km they should get deleted just like a BB getting caught broadside to a DD's torpedoes.   Same applies to DD's, if they get caught broadise inside 5km to a BB and take 9 shell hits ap or not, that ship should get absolutely wrecked.  Just my opinion.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,637 posts
59 minutes ago, RebelBadger001 said:

Well first... what ship you driving and what ships are you firing upon?

The best general advice is you have to hit the red ships just at the waterline; your gun's dispersion will put some below the water and some above. When shooting cruisers, broadside to the belly works. You can also fire at the superstructure/hull line.

Note - where you point your aiming reticle is not exactly where your round go; the main batteries are more like shotguns than rifles. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
118 posts
3,318 battles

Basically, you hope RNG allows you to do significant damage. Perfect aim can only get you so far, even a fully broadside, stationary target at 7km's you may not hit with a single shell, or you may get 4 cits for a dev strike. Aim increases your chances of getting meaningful hits, but it comes down to RNG whether it pays off or not. 

Overpens seem to have become the norm lately, but dev strikes do still occasionally happen. Still, you might have a broadside cruiser stop directly in front of you and try to back behind an island, you fire a 12 gun salvo from your New Mex perfectly aimed, and you get 2 overpens for ~2,000 dmg

Members
773 posts
5,403 battles

My Friend, use the test range! Each ship has different pen values and your targets sweet spots will move around a tad. Some citadels will be above the water line and some below. Light armor passes shells through, heavy armor blocks some shells but allows others to detonate inside, and belts break shells. Taking you ship into the test range allows you to see at what range your guns are most affective various targets.