You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Sarcasticat_

Munchen's Citadel: Explained

4 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Beta Testers
18,992 posts
5,959 battles

A quick note about Munchen, of which had her model put into the live client so people with the Extended Tech Tree mod (available in Aslain's WoWs Modpack) like myself can see her. 

This thread exists solely because I know when this ship hits release people will have some questions about a feature on her that's a little...odd. By this I mean her citadel. This is for those who are confused about why the citadel is shaped the way it is, or perhaps you're a naval enthusiast and are curious about it yourself. Hopefully, when the question threads about her citadel come out - ask before you buy and whatnot - my thread can be an answer. 

I'll include the TL;DR right here: It's a downside for this ship, and historically incorrect.

Let's get to looking at this "odd citadel". 

O3jh6Uf.png

RNXIpHW.png

Don't see citadels this unusual, usually. 

I'll try and make the explanation as quick as possible. The citadel is shaped the way it is because the "M-class" (cruisers M, N, O, and P) utilize something called CODAS - or COmbined Diesel and Steam. The diesels and steam turbines aft, being shorter in stature than the boilers, don't necessitate such a tall citadel space. See here:

EqJFDTo.jpg

As you can see, this outline of the citadel space is the same as in WG's Munchen. 

So that's it. A short and quick explanation of Munchen's citadel. 

If you were here for the historical data, I can shamelessly promote myself by linking you to my Munchen proposal (which is where I got these images from): 

If you were here for Munchen stats, I'll send you here:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/34

Please remember that as of this writing, this ship is definitely still a Work in Progress.

If you were here because "what's a Munchen?"

The Munchen (named so after the city of Munich, Germany) - is an M-class cruiser design of the German Navy (Kriegsmarine). Get it? M-class? Munchen/Munich? Ha I'm hilarious. Moving on, this class is a light cruiser with the purpose of raiding in the Atlantic, utilizing her diesel propulsion to significantly extend her cruising range and attack Allied shipping, a lot like a U-Boat does. They were designed to be fast, capable of 35 to 35.5 knots and armed with eight 6" (150mm) guns with two quadruple torpedo tubes on each side. The steam propulsion is for if the ship needs high speed, and the diesel is for cruising. Cruisers M and N were laid down in November 1938, but were scrapped in September 1939. In that sense, these ships are "real" - they've been laid down and work done to some percent - but were not completed. Probably no more than 5-10% progress was made on the cruisers. The cruisers were considered unsatisfactory, and attempts to rectify them by making them bigger (the Q-class, which is just a bigger M-class with more diesels) failed. The Kriegsmarine dropped the concept and changed gears into making a large destroyer with six 6" (150mm) guns called the Spahkreuzer  (or Scout Cruiser). They look like smaller M-class cruisers but have the twin turrets from a Z-23. For more information on the Spahkreuzers, I'll leave you to research them on your own.

In-game, the Munchen is a tier 7 light cruiser.

- Sarcasticat.

Edited by _Sarcasticat_
  • Cool 3

[SNGNS]
Members
312 posts
5,414 battles

mmhh, nice write up. thanks for that.

one question, you said

8 minutes ago, _Sarcasticat_ said:

It's a downside for this ship, and historically incorrect.

but i couldn't find why it would be incorrect in your write up. is there a reason?

[Y0L0]
Beta Testers
18,992 posts
5,959 battles
20 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

mmhh, nice write up. thanks for that.

one question, you said

but i couldn't find why it would be incorrect in your write up. is there a reason?

Apologies. 

08_M.png

This is a picture of Kreuzer M's protection scheme. As I understand it, it displays the shorter and taller armor sections respectively. As you can see, both are covered. Another picture I have outlining the belt armor...

KreuzerM1938.png

...shows it hiked up. In the incorrect place, of course. That "hiked-up" section of the 50mm belt should be further forward, directly underneath the fore funnel. Otherwise it's a spectacular representation of what Kreuzer M's belt SHOULD look like. The citadel should not be exposed above the belt.

Edited by _Sarcasticat_

[SNGNS]
Members
312 posts
5,414 battles

ohhh, thanks. that is rather interesting.