You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Alevon

USS Keeling AKA "Greyhound" an USN Mahan class DD

22 comments in this topic

[TF_34]
Members
85 posts
12,676 battles

There is a new movie from Tom Hanks (veteran actor in WW2 movie epic 'Saving Private Ryan') coming out on July 10th on Apple TV!

However, this time he's a USN Commander of the fictional boat USS Keeling AKA "Greyhound" which is modeled on an USN Mahan class DD. Now I know we have a lot of DD caps out there and more than a few Submarine caps. The movie promises a lot of ship to sub combat and high seas action & drama!

Here is a brief summary of the plot: " U.S. Navy Cmdr. Ernest Krause is assigned to lead an Allied convoy across the Atlantic during World War II. His convoy, however, is pursued by German U-boats, the Wolf pack!"

It's been getting mostly positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

I myself am a fan of Mr. Hanks, WW2 flicks, World of Warships in general and of course USN specifically. So, I was going to watch regardless of the reviews. I just wanted to share with my fellow captains...

Movie trailer below!

Please delete post if deemed inappropriate by Admins...

Edited by Alevon
  • Cool 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,401 posts

June 10th on Apple TV+. Same day the new Charlize Theron movie drops on Netflix.

Edit:

Based on a book then... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Shepherd_(novel)

More Edit:

In 2018, Kidd was used as a stand-in for the fictional Mahan-class destroyer USS Keeling (codenamed Greyhound), from C.S. Forester's novel The Good Shepherd, in its appearance in the book's cinematic adaptation, Greyhound.[5][6]

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
512 posts
7,233 battles

First a castaway raft, then a shrimping boat and now a destroyer!   Mr Hanks must be at least a 10 point commander by now!  :Smile_trollface:

Movie looks pretty interesting but I can't take on another streaming service just to see it.  @StoptheViolins what new Charlize Theron movie?   Now that she won't be in the next Furiosa movie?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2

Members
17 posts

That's a late-war build (square bridge) Fletcher in the clip. Most of the filming was done on the Kidd.

There was never a Mahan-class destroyer, or any destroyer, named USS Keeling.

That's why fiction is called fiction.

• Cool 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,401 posts
6 minutes ago, Altwar said:

First a castaway raft, then a shrimping boat and now a destroyer!   Mr Hanks must be at least a 10 point commander by now!  :Smile_trollface:

Movie looks pretty interesting but I can't take on another streaming service just to see it.  @StoptheViolins what new Charlize Theron movie?   Now that she won't be in the next Furiosa movie?

The Old Guard, on Netflix, drops Friday.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
988 posts

I saw a video where the reviewer said character development was non-existent, so no reason to care about the actors.

but the overall score is high. It's only 90 minutes. And I think the trailer shows you everything you're gonna get.

And it's Tom Hanks, so yeah, I'll watch it.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,497 posts
18,553 battles
34 minutes ago, Altwar said:

First a castaway raft, then a shrimping boat and now a destroyer! 

Don't forget the orange lifeboat from his time as Captain of the freighter that was taken over by pirates!

• Thanks 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,497 posts
18,553 battles
36 minutes ago, Froggy_McFrogface said:

That sounds made up! If they made a movie out of it then it has to be true; just like everything on the Internet. I'll bet you won't be laughing when that Nigerian prince sends me my 23 million dollars!

• Funny 1

[SLDR]
Members
244 posts
9,176 battles

Not naval related, but the complete "A Bridge Too Far" is now free on Youtube with ads.  Nothing beats a CGI-free war movie.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
25,804 posts
22,661 battles
53 minutes ago, Altwar said:

Tom Hanks, man.  The only actor that made me feel sad for a d*mn volleyball.

:Smile_honoring:

Speaking of Furiosa, I'm quite upset that there hasn't been a follow up to Fury Road yet.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[OIL-1]
Members
988 posts
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Speaking of Furiosa, I'm quite upset that there hasn't been a follow up to Fury Road yet.

Was in today's news. And Charlize Theron is not gonna be cast. They're going with a younger actress.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,401 posts
8 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Was in today's news. And Charlize Theron is not gonna be cast. They're going with a younger actress.

If that's the case then she'll be free for Atomic Blond II

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
512 posts
7,233 battles
12 minutes ago, z9_ said:

The sequel or prequel that who wanted???  Kinda sucks (for her) that they don't do movie magic as they did for Chris Evans in Avengers Endgame or RDJ in Iron Man 3, etc., etc.

And agree, we could use another Mad Max movie with Mad Max as a lead character....

Agree that caring about a volleyball as a character says something about how special a performance/movie that was Castaway.

Didn't see Sully or Captain Phillips so I didn't know if he had any "naval" experience in either.  Guess we can bump him up to an 11 pt captain then?  :Smile_trollface:

[OIL-1]
Members
988 posts
7 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

If that's the case then she'll be free for Atomic Blond II

I loved the first one!

9 minutes ago, Altwar said:

The sequel or prequel that who wanted???

Prequel. Supposed to have big a big back story mentioned in the first film. I tried to watch Fury a couple of times, just couldn't get into it.

Members
145 posts
2,003 battles

Its gonna be released on Apple TV on july 10 2020, due to pandemic it wont be a theater release.  Tom Hanks said he was quite dissapointed in this but the situation being what it is, its what they had to settle for if they wanted to release it in the summer.

• Sad 1

[TF_34]
Members
85 posts
12,676 battles
3 hours ago, slider37 said:

Not naval related, but the complete "A Bridge Too Far" is now free on Youtube with ads.  Nothing beats a CGI-free war movie.

2nd that motion! Excellent movie!!

Members
145 posts
2,003 battles
3 hours ago, Alevon said:

2nd that motion! Excellent movie!!

just wait till july 11, dont matter if its on apple tv, 1 day after its gonna be on the free streaming online sites.

[GOB]
Members
1,754 posts

Released on Apple TV July 10th ... then downloadable for free all over the internet within 24 hrs. 

Just sayin'

Munificient_Mumfurt Ninja'd me : )

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Haha 1

Members
145 posts
2,003 battles

I saw it it, maybe for a navy person or enthusiast it would have been good.  But I found the movie kinda of gets bogged down in too much coordinate lingo.  I watched about a third of the movie and stopped.

I think it would have flopped in the theatres.

My thoughts on it is, its boring, but professionally done.

Its not in the horridly bad category of that Russian Tank Movie t-34, that one was really bad and wasnt even fit for tv viewing.  I dont think people would have watched that t-34 movie if they paid em to it was so bad.

• Boring 1

[N-F-H]
[N-F-H]
Members
50 posts
5,276 battles

I just watched it .  well done!    felt immerse. in fact all of Tom Hanks WW2 movies have given that feeling.  

I would in the past think how much these patriots gave to this country during those times.. I have a deep respect to those boots, and I have had the privilege of caring for those men / women in my career in the 911 system. thank you for your service.

• Cool 1

Members
2,906 posts
5,606 battles
On 7/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Froggy_McFrogface said:

That's a late-war build (square bridge) Fletcher in the clip. Most of the filming was done on the Kidd.

There was never a Mahan-class destroyer, or any destroyer, named USS Keeling.

For obvious reasons since they filmed on the Kidd, Hanks notes in the movie that it's a Fletcher-class that he's taking command of, so it's just a change from the book, where it was a Mahan.