You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

0.9.6 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

75 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
9,963 posts
16,768 battles

The Good; Turning radius adjustments.

The Bad; More and more hoop jumping, for example, game won't launch without WGC running and WGC doesn't have shut down after launching the game setting, now I have to ALT TAB and shut it down manually. The new improved (cough, cough) combat missions UI.

The Ugly; Narai is not available and there was no explanation why. Thank the Gods I didn't get the California for Narai. The new Collectors emblems are ugly and very non festive, boring I would say. There is however a 350 (I guess we skipped 300) ship one now and it's boring too.

What are your praises and complaints or disappointments?

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,063 posts
25,244 battles

The Good, The Bad , The Ugly and the Dumbbells called POTATO's .....................................

• Meh 3

[DDMAF]
Members
2,808 posts
16,098 battles

I'd rather have chronic tinnitus than listen to the new, incessant ship and planes sounds. 

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1

[KWF]
Members
4,172 posts
6,337 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

I'd rather have chronic tinnitus than listen to the new, incessant ship and planes sounds. 

Haven't had the chance to check them out yet, are they that bad?

I swear, Wargaming picks some of the weirdest hills to die on :fish_boom:.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,603 posts

I thought I was being unfair about the new sounds, but it seems I'm not alone in finding them more aggravating than "immersive". 

[-PVE-]
Members
430 posts

The first thing I did was to change the default port. That color tone is horrendous.

Then I went to the Audio settings screen, then put to zero the Damage volume.

[-PVE-]
Members
430 posts
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I thought I was being unfair about the new sounds, but it seems I'm not alone in finding them more aggravating than "immersive". 

6 minutes ago, legozer said:

Those new plane sounds for me are more "immersive". The rest of the new ones I find irritating. 

Members
1,391 posts
7,116 battles

You folks had the chance to get on test and test much of this stuff and point out things that you did not like. Many refused and yet here you are complaining about it. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 8

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,603 posts
3 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

The first thing I did was to change the default port. That color tone is horrendous.

Then I went to the Audio settings screen, then put to zero the Damage volume.

1 minute ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Those new plane sounds for me are more "immersive". The rest of the new ones I find irritating. 

The first thing the update did was change my Port setting.  The first thing I did was change it back to Ocean.  One of the most obnoxious little things WG does is force-change everyone's Port setting whenever they have a new or updated Port they want to show off.  

Based on trying it out in PTS, I immediately turned the "engine noise" and "damage noise" sliders down to about 10%, anything more is game-ruining.  I also have the "gun volume" slider turned down to where I can't hear the reloading noises and other crap that sounds like someone is grinding the gears in an old Ford Pinto.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,603 posts
7 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

You folks had the chance to get on test and test much of this stuff and point out things that you did not like. Many refused and yet here you are complaining about it. 

I was on test.  I complained about it.  Nothing was fixed from test.   

See also, the new "Equipment" UI, and some other ahem "improvements". 

Actually, does anyone remember that I created a thread almost begging people to get on PTS and comment on the changes?  

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
9,963 posts
16,768 battles
10 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

I used to do every test for 3 years but then I missed out on the real game because everything is so grindy, grindy, grindy. You have to play at least 6 and now that the Operations have been nerfed generally 8 or more battles to do the daily combat missions. In Randoms you lose about half of the games so 12 battles or more and Co op even more battles to do them. PT takes too much time and WG doesn't listen to the testers anyway. They generally send a questionnaire After the first session, in which you might have had just one or two battles and not having checked out all of the changes.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,803 posts
4,606 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

What are your praises and complaints or disappointments?

0.9.6 makes significant unannounced changes to the client file structure.  Aimed specifically at removing out-of-date mods -- which is a good thing -- but doing God knows what to other apps.  For one thing, they moved bin32 and bin64 so direct links will no longer work.  For another, they've split moved \res.  Why and how?

So far, I like the new Equipment Port page.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,603 posts
Just now, iDuckman said:

0.9.6 makes significant unannounced changes to the client file structure.  Aimed specifically at removing out-of-date mods -- which is a good thing -- but doing God knows what to other apps.  For one thing, they moved bin32 and bin64 so direct links will no longer work.  For another, they've split \res.  Why and how?

Part of forcing users to have WGC running when they launch the game itself. 

[SBS]
Members
5,387 posts
41 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Ugly; Narai is not available and there was no explanation why.

Damn, I've been gone for a while and I really wanted to play that op.

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts
58 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Good; Turning radius adjustments.

Not for me. they nerfed a lot of my best ships.

[TBW]
Members
9,963 posts
16,768 battles
2 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Not for me. they nerfed a lot of my best ships.

I just mean it's good that they do what they say now, if they indeed do.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,442 posts
18,543 battles
39 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

I believe that is universally referred to as "FEEDBACK" and is one of the things developers (are supposed to) look at to make the game better.

[OIL-1]
Members
934 posts
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

I believe that is universally referred to as "FEEDBACK" and is one of the things developers (are supposed to) look at to make the game better.

WG hasn't listened to player feedback since the days of closed beta WoT.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,603 posts
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I just mean it's good that they do what they say now, if they indeed do.

It's good that they were fixed, and LWM did a ton of much-appreciated work on it. 

BUT, how WG handled the changes to individual ships was a mess, with a bunch of crap changes to ships that didn't need to be nerfed.  And it's a bit telling that a LOT of the ships that got the worse value from the two choices (listed or real) regardless of which it was and regardless of performance... were German ships.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,442 posts
18,543 battles
2 minutes ago, z9_ said:

WG hasn't listened to player feedback since the days of closed beta WoT.

True, which is why the words "are supposed to" are in parenthesis. But, really, they didn't listen to feedback then, either.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,722 posts
1 hour ago, USMC2145 said:

Ask me how I know you haven't read the 9.6 PTS feedback thread that's 9 pages long and a month old, before posting this.

We did test it and there is a huge amount of feedback about it.

Members
164 posts
7,329 battles

The Good:     Turning radius adjustment.    New "Equipment" tab has nice big Icons.

The Bad:  The new SFX sounds.        AND cannot exchange German Tokens for Premium time.

The Ugly:  haven't found any yet.   

Photo:   The cemetery from the Good, Bad Ugly movie is STILL THERE.   It was built in Spain for the movie, with the help of the Spanish Army.     Google Maps Image:

Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png41.990429°N 3.408454°W

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/22/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-graveyard-back-from-the-dead

GBA_cem2.JPG

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,502 posts
10,992 battles

honestly not a fan of the "Equipment" thing

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,066 posts
7,456 battles

The new UI style that WG is gravitating towards seems sleeker and more modern/futuristic looking. 

I don't like it.  It's not immersive.  I would prefer a style that provided a zeitgeist of the 1940's.

• Cool 1