Jump to content
Hapa_Fodder

[0.9.6] Modifications folder issue

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,385
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,848 posts
13,300 battles

Commanders!

Starting from version 0.9.6 the content in the folder "bin\<version>" including the folder "res_mods" will be deleted and a new one will be created while updating the client

This decision was made because after the installation of the new update many players continued to use outdated modification files, which most often resulted in unstable work of the game client, causing crashes.

We understand that deleting users' files may cause inconvenience for some players. However, the stability of the game client is a priority for us, and current measures will significantly reduce the number of technical problems for players after the release of a new update.

Thank you for understanding and good luck in battles.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,811 posts
4,606 battles

Dang it, Hapa.  Don't you think this should have been announced *before* you wiped out the contents?

It belongs in the Patch Notes, too.


Looking at an EU client that hasn't been updated yet, I see that the changes to the file structure are considerably more extensive than suggested above.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281
[WOLFB]
Members
969 posts
32,321 battles

so when it says select a client  what the he ll do I do now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281
[WOLFB]
Members
969 posts
32,321 battles

I agree they have screwed it all up and I cant use it now!

NOT HAPPY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,641
[SOFOP]
Members
2,359 posts
13,768 battles
38 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

so when it says select a client  what the he ll do I do now?

 

Don't make it harder than it is.  You always had to select a client...so just select your client for the modstation and all is well.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,385
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,848 posts
13,300 battles
35 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Dang it, Hapa.  Don't you think this should have been announced *before* you wiped out the contents?

It belongs in the Patch Notes, too.

 

I have already addressed this. Because quite frankly I definitely agree!

There is HOWEVER, a reason why this was done, for those that are annoyed about this please check this feedback post out. And note how many times I HAVE to mention removing old mods.

I am NOT kidding when I tell you more than 80% of our technical issues in the community on patch days are from players trying to use not upgraded mods with an updated client. And since we have been putting out regularly that all OLD mods need to be removed and updated and re-installed and we're not seeing any improvement in this direction.

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,811 posts
4,606 battles
1 minute ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

since we have been putting out regularly that all OLD mods need to be removed and updated and re-installed and we're not seeing any improvement in this direction.

That effect of the change is good.  I wonder why it has taken so long to do it.

But the side effects are potentially significant.  For instance, direct links to the executable will no longer work (I wonder how many players are trying to start the game and failing.) and many mods will be failing to install.

Doesn't it also mean that the unpacker will have to be re-run with every patch?  What else?

All these things reasonably demand prior notification.  I think I'll record the change in the wiki version of the Patch Notes (available now).

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,641
[SOFOP]
Members
2,359 posts
13,768 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

That effect of the change is good.  I wonder why it has taken so long to do it.

But the side effects are potentially significant.  For instance, direct links to the executable will no longer work (I wonder how many players are trying to start the game and failing.) and many mods will be failing to install.

Doesn't it also mean that the unpacker will have to be re-run with every patch?  What else?

All these things reasonably demand prior notification.  I think I'll record the change in the wiki version of the Patch Notes (available now).

 

To be fair, this was announced on the forums that there would be a change.  Probably could have done a better job at it I guess.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,385
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,848 posts
13,300 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That effect of the change is good.  I wonder why it has taken so long to do it.

But the side effects are potentially significant.  For instance, direct links to the executable will no longer work (I wonder how many players are trying to start the game and failing.) and many mods will be failing to install.

Doesn't it also mean that the unpacker will have to be re-run with every patch?  What else?

All these things reasonably demand prior notification.  I think I'll record the change in the wiki version of the Patch Notes (available now).

 

Well we HAVE talked about  the WGC and the fact we were switching to it being the only launcher etc for about 6 months. Now.

Essentially, if you are USING THE WGC you shouldn't have any problems at all, with the exception of waiting for the modders to update a mod and re-installing it. (which is VERY NORMAL for most games).

-Hapa

  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
208
[_RNG_]
Supertester
354 posts
10,273 battles

For those wondering where the res_mod file has gone, you'll find it under:

 

World_of_Warships_NA\bin\2666186\res_mods

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,116
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,662 posts
1 hour ago, Brooklin82 said:

For those wondering where the res_mod file has gone, you'll find it under:

 

World_of_Warships_NA\bin\2666186\res_mods

 

 

Well now... that's obvious... why didn't we all look there for it.. inside the binaries folder... 

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,811 posts
4,606 battles
4 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Well we HAVE talked about  the WGC

There are ways to handle WGC that don't involve changing the file structure so.  And this potentially affects more than old mods and the WGC. 

It also means that every time WG slips a date, everybody has to rebuild their install procedures and hope they get the new name right. (That could be handled by a config file in the root.)

All I can say is, this was deployed in bad form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,385
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,848 posts
13,300 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

There are ways to handle WGC that don't involve changing the file structure so.  And this potentially affects more than old mods and the WGC. 

It also means that every time WG slips a date, everybody has to rebuild their install procedures and hope they get the new name right. (That could be handled by a config file in the root.)

All I can say is, this was deployed in bad form.

I'm not saying this won't be a challenge for sure.

HOWEVER, I will tell you, I for one am okay with having to MAKE people update their mods every single patch... as we are literally swamped with CS tickets and support comments about the client being broken and almost every single one is due to players trying to use outdated mods...

Again, I agree, we should have let y'all know earlier but yeah.

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,811 posts
4,606 battles
4 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Again, I agree, we should have let y'all know earlier but yeah.

'Nuff said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,116
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,662 posts

You know the only way to be sure, really sure... 

WoWS/WG would have to take control of validating mods, only allowing mods to be installed via the Mod Station. 

This would of course entail a whole lot of legalese and perhaps even liabilities they simply would not want to take upon themselves. So things will remain the same but move into a different folder, right? 

How's that stop the problems? 

 

I'd like to know - on these updates - does the game client leave any "trash" around when it installs. I see a number of things parked there, potentials... 

Anyone know for sure if any unneeded files are left behind after these patch updates? tia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
324
[TF16B]
Modder
614 posts
758 battles
35 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I'm not saying this won't be a challenge for sure.

HOWEVER, I will tell you, I for one am okay with having to MAKE people update their mods every single patch... as we are literally swamped with CS tickets and support comments about the client being broken and almost every single one is due to players trying to use outdated mods...

Again, I agree, we should have let y'all know earlier but yeah.

-Hapa

A lot of modders have already been updating their mods with every patch and the way the modding forums are organized, all mods are marked for comparability such as if a mod in the subject line says "Fancy flags: 9.5.1", that would indicate to the potential user, the mod was made for the 9.5.1 patch. If the user still tries to use the mod on a different patch version, there isn't really anything the creator of the mod can do it other than update their mod to the recent patch.

Better communication would have been appreciated but it is what it is. On ward with the new system!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[WOLFA]
Beta Testers
38 posts
17,436 battles

This is all well and good and I have no issue with reinstalling functional mods but I have an issue with my collection of custom skins getting deleted. I have a fairly substantial list of skins I’ve collected over the years and generally just move these from version to version. I ended up losing my entire France folder structure in this process. 
 

It’d be nice to have a client setting to save the content folder from deletion. Just my 2 cents.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[BTH]
Members
302 posts
15,548 battles

What's the difference. People just back up the mods before updates or, if forget, use even older mods before 0.9.6. :fish_glass:

The only solution is to provide instant and complete mod. updates upon every game update, which is impossible because the ModStation is 'run by users' and WG is not in charge of that.

Edited by Klaus_Conqueror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CHASE]
Modder
115 posts
4,604 battles
32 minutes ago, EdeIweisse said:

Thanks for deleting my 12gigs of skins and remodels. Just when I was thinking of making a return to the forum scene. But hey since you guys have deleted all those files for me I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore :^)

Regarding this @Hapa_Fodder is it true that the files get outright deleted? Or do they get moved to the trash bin where they can be recovered? If the Devs made it so the files get deleted without any chance of recovery, that's a very serious thing to do and modders who potentially lost custom work should be compensated. You don't do this kind of thing without pre-warning or other way to recover the files.

@Edelweisse check the trash bin.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
194 posts
20 battles
3 minutes ago, Nikoolix said:

Regarding this @Hapa_Fodder is it true that the files get outright deleted? Or do they get moved to the trash bin where they can be recovered? If the Devs made it so the files get deleted without any chance of recovery, that's a very serious thing to do and modders who potentially lost custom work should be compensated. You don't do this kind of thing without pre-warning or other way to recover the files.

@Edelweisse check the trash bin.

There was a 0.9.5.1 folder but it was empty. I'm gonna vom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CHASE]
Modder
115 posts
4,604 battles
2 minutes ago, EdeIweisse said:

There was a 0.9.5.1 folder but it was empty. I'm gonna vom.

Just wow. Waiting to see if anyone else had their files completely deleted without chance of recovery.

This is a serious overreach. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[OVRPN]
Members
728 posts
18 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I have already addressed this. Because quite frankly I definitely agree!

There is HOWEVER, a reason why this was done, for those that are annoyed about this please check this feedback post out. And note how many times I HAVE to mention removing old mods.

I am NOT kidding when I tell you more than 80% of our technical issues in the community on patch days are from players trying to use not upgraded mods with an updated client. And since we have been putting out regularly that all OLD mods need to be removed and updated and re-installed and we're not seeing any improvement in this direction.

-Hapa

how does changing the folder location fix anything? Can't people just copy old mods into the new folder like before?

 

 

Edited by fourteenfour
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×