You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Horrible clicking sound effect every few seconds

16 comments in this topic

[ARP]
[ARP]
Members
1,033 posts
18,206 battles

I still can't figure out what it is from, but it's a very annoying clicking noise every few seconds, it sounds like a small stick breaking . 

Edit: it's the speed changes 

Who thought this was a good idea? On a destroyer you change speeds so often the clicking is maddening. 

Edited by Cit_the_bed

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

Yeah, it's a bit much. There are weird noises when shifting rudder, too.

EDIT: AND when turning turrets.

Edited by legozer

Members
1,059 posts
4,376 battles

If I'm not wrong, it adds a realistic effect to ship movements, such as acceleration, deceleration, and turning, when the new "Ultra" sound level is selected. Best advice I can give here is to switch it to either high or low. That should remove the clicking

-Shrayes

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

I switched to low. No difference.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

Devs meeting prior to update: "You guys think we should tackle some of the enormous balancing issues we have in game, or make the game way noisier with no way to change it?"

• Cool 1

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
33 minutes ago, legozer said:

Devs meeting prior to update: "You guys think we should tackle some of the enormous balancing issues we have in game, or make the game way noisier with no way to change it?"

tenor.png

Glad I'm not the only who spent the morning trying to figure out some of these sounds (in addition to trying to remember which Modstation mods I had installed).  Some are improvements, most are ANNOYING at best.

[OGF]
Members
26 posts
3,978 battles

I don't know what they were thinking with the sound 'upgrade', or what exactly they did to it, but my experience with it has been ghastly.  I can't listen to it.  I endured it long enough to earn my 2k daily container, and I've probably ground the fillings out of my teeth sticking with it that long.  I understand maybe not everybody is quite that picky about the audio and if you can endure this (or don't find it as bad as I do) more power to you, sincerely, but I'm not sure I can.  I've got 17k in doubloons that I might write off as an unexpected tax to save myself from ear torture.  I'd sooner be waterboarded.  

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,345 posts
19,593 battles

What's that? I can't hear you over the CLONG CLONG of secondary spam destroying my speakers. Type louder!

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

So, for the NEXT patch, I'd love to see the devs address some of the known flaws in the MM, or perhaps even tinker with the CV/DD interaction issues. That said, I could easily be enticed to forget about core gameplay issues if they could somehow manage to insert the blood-curdling sound of cats fighting outside of my bedroom window at 4 am every time my secondaries fire. That, OR the sound of a drunk chick screeching "WOOOOOOOOO!" directly into my ear drum.

• Cool 1

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

What's that? I can't hear you over the CLONG CLONG of secondary spam destroying my speakers.

Dink, Doink, Clang, Bang, Clank!  Did we REALLY need to hear the muffled sound of own shells up through the hull of our own ship as they strike the enemy???  If you were going for realism, you'd realize that there would be a delay before that sound reached us?  Not that I want WG to do that math, please... please... please just spare us all the nonsense.

And @Hapa_Fodder  did they actually use some of my doubloon dough to pay voice actors to drive us insane when you engage the artillery camera?   I actually got up to unlock the gun cabinet thinking some dumb <edited> had snuck into my house while I was playing until I heard it coming from behind me just before I left my office.

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!    Holy Moley!  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ7QUf6m8XrvYJGaXrmvE

[OGF]
Members
26 posts
3,978 battles

I wish I was trained in the more technical aspects of audio engineering, because then I could more accurately describe what it is.  As it stands, I know it's wrong but I can't precisely articulate it.  

I think what they were going for was to try and divide up the base sound mix into more discrete channels for 5.1 and 7.1 systems.  That's okay, but it doesn't really work because the individual levels are off.  So what we end up with is a lot of incidental clutter and a loss of depth.  It's not satisfying.  I don't hear shells passing overhead now at all, and I can barely hear engine noise.  Water, which used to be a nice and subdued white noise, now sounds like sandpaper being scraped along the hull.  Prolonged noise, like music or said water, have a detectable warble to them.  I can hear all kinds of ticks and tonks and dinks and donks but my gunfire sounds anemic like cap guns.  There's no visceral quality to any of the explosions, bangs, or booms anymore - it's all just bland and flat.  The in-game music, warble aside, seems better but it feels like we traded the depth of the sfx audio for more depth in the music.  I'm not sure that's the choice I would have made.  On the plus side, it's all mostly clear and not muddy, so that part is good.  It's mostly that the sound emphasis isn't right, like it's doing the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet.  

If anybody comes up with ideas to tweak the in-game settings I'm all ears.  I'd like to at least work it out to something I can tolerate, and in pursuit of that aim I'll try just about anything.  

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,553 posts
13,910 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

I still can't figure out what it is from, but it's a very annoying clicking noise every few seconds, it sounds like a small stick breaking . 

Edit: it's the speed changes 

Who thought this was a good idea? On a destroyer you change speeds so often the clicking is maddening. 

Please put your constructive feedback on our feedback topic and I will ensure that I pass this up!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

It was clearly designed for small children that like to sit in the front row at the theater and have the sounds screaming at them.

That constant ticking, and all the SCREAMING coming from the rudder and turrets drove me nuts on PTS.

Played around with the levels in settings and got something tolerable though.

• Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
26 posts
3,978 battles
Just now, z9_ said:

Played around with the levels in settings and got something tolerable though.

Please tell me your settings, I'm begging here.  

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

This is what I have right now.

shot-20_07.08_12_16.35-0364.thumb.jpg.69ac1a6bb3e800c6d5ae3d3e0ecda8e2.jpg

It's not perfect, but it will carry me for my last few hours of premium time today.

• Cool 1