Sign in to follow this  
not2dead

Am new to WoW Random Battles - have questions...

10 comments in this topic

[MABG]
Members
2 posts
1,237 battles

Hello, everyone.

Started playing WoW around May (2.5 months ago). Enjoy the game immensely. The historicity of ship designs is AMAZING!

Started playing Random Battles about 3 weeks ago. Have read some of the available documentation regarding this game mode, but there are a few things that are still not clear to me...

1. Are ALL the ships in Random games operated by human players? If not, does anyone know the typical ratio of humans to bots in these games?
  2. I sail a tier VII Japanese heavy cruiser - the Myoko. Primary armament is 8" artillery (10 barrels). Range of these guns in 15.6 km. Am frequently faced with situations where an opponent (a battleship, typically) has weapons with greater range than I have. My Myoko is about as upgraded as I can make her. Other than waiting for opportunity - i.e., friendly BBs to engage the enemy and draw their fire or, alternatively, running furtively between islands for cover or fog for concealment - is there any way to get off at least one shot that might hit the opponent with longer range weapons?
  3. Have noticed more than once, more than twice, that opponents will typically concentrate fire on vessels that are already damaged, hoping to sink them. I do so all the time. However, there have been usual cases where opponent fire seems to be concentrated on fresh targets that are further away and not as damaged as targets that are much closer. Am I imaging this? Or, could this be a case of bots (if they play in Random battles) prioritizing human over bot targets. Just a crazy thought.

My survival rate in Random is low - about 9%. Doesn't matter. The payoff for Random battles is quite handsome, let's me keep playing for free. It'd be nice if the designers of WoW, for some kinds of matches, allowed individuals ships and/or entire teams to withdraw. But, they didn't. Them's the rules. So what? Play, have fun. It's a GAME!

One last question: does anyone else besides me get fuzzy image rendition near the bottom of their screen? I keep thinking that it's because my PC was brought over on the Santa Maria. 8=)

[KAPPA]
Members
3,022 posts
7,801 battles

1: They were, but that's changing for T1-5. Empty slots will get filled.

2: Be T9 and use the 6th mod slot to increase range or pop a spotter plane if you have one. Both increase range. Otherwise, no.

3: I've heard that they spare targets about to die or some such and switch targets or something. Dunno how true this is. That said, if more bots can put guns on a single target, they gravitate towards that. 

[TBW]
Members
9,963 posts
16,768 battles
12 minutes ago, not2dead said:

Are ALL the ships in Random games operated by human players? If not, does anyone know the typical ratio of humans to bots in these games?

Yes but with the next update I believe they are going to make it so the lower tiers can fill with bots after 3 minutes, read the patch notes.

14 minutes ago, not2dead said:

I sail a tier VII Japanese heavy cruiser - the Myoko. Primary armament is 8" artillery (10 barrels). Range of these guns in 15.6 km. Am frequently faced with situations where an opponent (a battleship, typically) has weapons with greater range than I have. My Myoko is about as upgraded as I can make her. Other than waiting for opportunity - i.e., friendly BBs to engage the enemy and draw their fire or, alternatively, running furtively between islands for cover or fog for concealment - is there any way to get off at least one shot that might hit the opponent with longer range weapons?

Use your concealment, your gun bloom ends after 20 seconds go dark, if you are being targeted, kite away and light fires while wiggling your tail.

18 minutes ago, not2dead said:

Have noticed more than once, more than twice, that opponents will typically concentrate fire on vessels that are already damaged, hoping to sink them. I do so all the time. However, there have been usual cases where opponent fire seems to be concentrated on fresh targets that are further away and not as damaged as targets that are much closer. Am I imaging this? Or, could this be a case of bots (if they play in Random battles) prioritizing human over bot targets. Just a crazy thought.

Some people are taking advantage of broadside targets probably, they might not have as good a shot at the closer one. People also get tunnel vision when zoomed in and don't notice other targets.

20 minutes ago, not2dead said:

My survival rate in Random is low - about 9%. Doesn't matter. The payoff for Random battles is quite handsome, let's me keep playing for free. It'd be nice if the designers of WoW, for some kinds of matches, allowed individuals ships and/or entire teams to withdraw. But, they didn't. Them's the rules. So what? Play, have fun. It's a GAME!

It is just a game, however some people take it very seriously and others not so much. I used to think that if you did more than your ships HP in damage that I was doing all right, I don't think that is right anymore. You can do little or a lot of damage but if you are alive your team has a better chance of winning.

24 minutes ago, not2dead said:

One last question: does anyone else besides me get fuzzy image rendition near the bottom of their screen? I keep thinking that it's because my PC was brought over on the Santa Maria. 8=)

No fuzzy for me.

You might want to practice with your tier 7 in Narai.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,782 battles
15 minutes ago, not2dead said:
  • Are ALL the ships in Random games operated by human players? If not, does anyone know the typical ratio of humans to bots in these games?
  • I sail a tier VII Japanese heavy cruiser - the Myoko. Primary armament is 8" artillery (10 barrels). Range of these guns in 15.6 km. Am frequently faced with situations where an opponent (a battleship, typically) has weapons with greater range than I have. My Myoko is about as upgraded as I can make her. Other than waiting for opportunity - i.e., friendly BBs to engage the enemy and draw their fire or, alternatively, running furtively between islands for cover or fog for concealment - is there any way to get off at least one shot that might hit the opponent with longer range weapons?
  • Have noticed more than once, more than twice, that opponents will typically concentrate fire on vessels that are already damaged, hoping to sink them. I do so all the time. However, there have been usual cases where opponent fire seems to be concentrated on fresh targets that are further away and not as damaged as targets that are much closer. Am I imaging this? Or, could this be a case of bots (if they play in Random battles) prioritizing human over bot targets. Just a crazy thought.
  1. As of right now if you're not in protective MM (the first 100 games)... Random are filled with humans depending on the population of the MM queue..
    • As of the new patch tonight, bots will fill random matches after a player reaches the 3 min mark in queue.
  2. Practice you aim in the Training rooms or Co-op... The information on your guns, hull, gun control system and engine, are located in your modules tab
  3. Some people have issues with prioritizing targets.

The forums, you have a lot of good posters to help you out with your questions/concerns...All and all have fun...

[RKLES]
Members
12,443 posts
14,160 battles
5 hours ago, not2dead said:

Hello, everyone.

Started playing WoW around May (2.5 months ago). Enjoy the game immensely. The historicity of ship designs is AMAZING!

Started playing Random Battles about 3 weeks ago. Have read some of the available documentation regarding this game mode, but there are a few things that are still not clear to me...

1. Are ALL the ships in Random games operated by human players? If not, does anyone know the typical ratio of humans to bots in these games?
  2. I sail a tier VII Japanese heavy cruiser - the Myoko. Primary armament is 8" artillery (10 barrels). Range of these guns in 15.6 km. Am frequently faced with situations where an opponent (a battleship, typically) has weapons with greater range than I have. My Myoko is about as upgraded as I can make her. Other than waiting for opportunity - i.e., friendly BBs to engage the enemy and draw their fire or, alternatively, running furtively between islands for cover or fog for concealment - is there any way to get off at least one shot that might hit the opponent with longer range weapons?
  3. Have noticed more than once, more than twice, that opponents will typically concentrate fire on vessels that are already damaged, hoping to sink them. I do so all the time. However, there have been usual cases where opponent fire seems to be concentrated on fresh targets that are further away and not as damaged as targets that are much closer. Am I imaging this? Or, could this be a case of bots (if they play in Random battles) prioritizing human over bot targets. Just a crazy thought.

First off welcome to the game and to the Forum! :Smile_honoring:

Yes all Randoms games are human players, although Wargaming is about to add some Ai bots to tier 5 and under as not as many players play really low tier so the que times can be high. Ai Bots are like this so you know they are a bot :Name:  But there are no bots in Random battles tier 6+ ever, unless somebody is using an illegal bot program that you can tell they are using one from how they either are not moving or else moving in completely brainless manner. Those illegal bits you don’t see very often and they get into major trouble with Wargaming if or when they are detected. So you never want to ever try and use a bot program in the game as it can get you permanently banned from the game.

If your Myoko is fully ungraded your max gun range is your max gun range, now further up the line you can get cruisers that you can add special upgrade modules to increase the range beyond max range as well as using spotter plane consumables to temporarily increase gun range even farther. Not sure if you have used Battleships yet, but they often have access to spotter planes to give them the increased ranged guns fir a couple minutes or so at time. And those consumables typically have quite a long cool down time in between uses so they have to be used at good moments.

There are reasons why some ships might switch to fresh targets rather than keep firing at badly damaged targets. For example if I am in a Battleship that hits really hard and scores high damage But the reload is like 30 seconds or so, and several ships are firing at a heard dead target. I may switch over to a fresh target that likely will be the next focus of allied ships near me if I think that the near dead target will be sunk before my next salvo of shells can reach it to hit it. Or I might switch to a fresh target with main guns if I am using a secondary gun ship like Bismarck and my secondary guns are just about to sink the target.

Another possibility especially when using most cruisers is if you set fires on a warship, and they immediately use damage control to put them out, then you set more fires you can let that target burn for a while for good damage or even have it be sunk in a moment without shooting it more. So instead your cruiser may focus on other ships to get fires going in as many as possible.

If your survival rate is really low you may be rushing in too far, too fast, and not into good areas. Other things you are likely doing wrong are sitting completely broadside to incoming AP shells which result in high damage hits called citadel hits which are the most vital machinery spaces on a ship. And likely you are trying to focus too much on using your torpedoes when those are only used in the right situations, and not intended to be your primary weapons. Matter of fact there are and will be many battles that you never get to use your torpedoes or even should have used them. But they are still useful for the right moments when they are supposed to be used, like when a ship is coming around an island near you then you ambush them with the torpedoes.

These are common new players mistakes that all of us have made at least a few times. But it’s all part of learning the game. ( That’s why watching some World of Warships YouTube videos can be helpful as they can demonstrate how to play any type of ship, as well as educational game mechanics.)

• Thanks 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,252 posts
23,411 battles
5 hours ago, not2dead said:

Might be an idea to do a screencap and post in this thread so we can have a looksie.

[PHD]
Members
1,311 posts
5,765 battles

As for targeting ships, while it is generally better to finish off a low health ship first. Sometimes there is a reason to shoot another.

If the further ship is a better target. When the close ship is angled so it will bounce most of you shells but another that is further away is broadside so you can citadel it, it is the better target, if you can hit it.

If the further ship is a bigger threat. Especially if you want to protect your teams DDs. it is helpful to kill the ships that have radar. Most people want to kill the DDs first too. They are very dangerous later in the match and to BBs.

Is a enemy ship in your base cap circle? If an enemy ship is capping your base and they will win if they flip it, you target the ship so when you hit it it will reset the timer. For example, your are in the game type where the are only two caps (I forget what it is called) and an enemy enters your cap before you have a ship in theirs, the other team will win in two and a half minutes weather you have more ships and are ahead on points. But each time the enemy ship is hit it resets the timer giving your team time to win by capping their base or by points. I have won matches that way.

And if there is a mission directive that requires "defended ribbons" shooting any enemy ship in a cap zone will get them. Unfortunately mission requirements often encourage players to play for the mission not the win.

The IJN 205mm guns are very good, accurate and hit hard.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,645 posts
22,602 battles
9 hours ago, not2dead said:
  1. Have noticed more than once, more than twice, that opponents will typically concentrate fire on vessels that are already damaged, hoping to sink them. I do so all the time. However, there have been usual cases where opponent fire seems to be concentrated on fresh targets that are further away and not as damaged as targets that are much closer. Am I imaging this? Or, could this be a case of bots (if they play in Random battles) prioritizing human over bot targets. Just a crazy thought.

This is easy.

People often get into "Damage Farming" mindset.  They've been spamming shells at a specific target for so much they totally fail to notice a near dead, higher priority ship that's much closer.

People also tend to shoot at the easiest target they feel they can hit.  It's easier to hit a gigantic Yamato at 19km away than a small, fast, nimble, Engine Boosting French Destroyer at 13km with BB guns.

I disagree with doing the above, by the way.  High value, high priority targets need to be put down ASAP, otherwise they really take their toll on your team or influence the match too much.  Personally I prioritized these ship types in Randoms, from most critical to least important to shoot at:

Destroyers > Radar Cruisers > Carriers > Everything else

But if you see a broadside ship to punish with AP, take it.  For example, you're playing in your Myoko and you anticipate some New Orleans player at 13km will flash their broadside, take the shot with AP, and send his a** back to port.  Done right and with the blessings of RNG, you can delete someone outright or inflict so much damage on them in one go.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[MABG]
Members
2 posts
1,237 battles

Thank you, everyone who responded.

Just played a Random game. Got pretty far - was the 7th player eliminated in game (on either team). Got a good return on my time, in terms of income.

Whoever said it, is right: it's far easier to hit an opponent if it's moving at constant speed on a parallel course. It's much more difficult to strike the target if it is weaving and bobbing, altering speed or moving on an angular course. On the other hand, when I do these things, my Myoko is much harder to hit, as well. Another thing to look for is the blast of an opposing ship's primary weapons. As soon as you see it, pull a hard turn to port or starboard; you'll avoid about half the incoming salvo. (Of course, if it's a monster BB firing 16+ inch shells... good luck!)

BTW, the reload time on BB primary cannons is long - take advantage of the in-between time.

Anyhow, had to unlearn the bad habit of continuing to fire at a single target until it sank. That approach rarely pays off and is, in my experience, quite dangerous. I agree: it's better to take opportunistic shots and be patient.

Regarding the issue of rushing in: I go to full speed at the start of a game, in order to get behind available cover. I feel kind of naked in the open, even if I've got a friendly BB on either side. Need to perfect the weaving and bobbing technique and remember that every salvo the enemy directs at my cruiser (which will be running away or weaving and bobbing) is  salvo which doesn't sink a friendly BB.

Now, I need to go sink something.

[90THG]
Members
57 posts
8,182 battles

One thing that you can also do that helps is to make sure you have the alternate interface enabled in settings under the controls tab on the lower left-hand side of the screen. It gives you so much useful data. There are also some other settings you can play within controls. Including a dynamic crosshair although if you want a good one, get wows modstation and download the monogram dynamic crosshair as that one has proper scaling, unlike the base game crosshair.

Sign in to follow this