Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Big_Red_1

WWIII questions

15 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,495 posts
3,423 battles

one thing that makes me wonder what would happen if a global conflict erupting all of a sudden between NATO vs Russia and China (minus nukes because of MAD). what would happen to the businesses/companies such as WG since they have "operations/customers" in places like North America (who will soon be considered "enemies"). how would that all pan out? makes me curious about that sort of thing

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
15 minutes ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

one thing that makes me wonder what would happen if a global conflict erupting all of a sudden between NATO vs Russia and China (minus nukes because of MAD). what would happen to the businesses/companies such as WG since they have "operations/customers" in places like North America (who will soon be considered "enemies"). how would that all pan out? makes me curious about that sort of thing

That depends on what their countries of origin or their Economic blocks, are capable of..  For example, during Obama's administration..

Cuba was opened to American citizens for the first time.  That means, American cruise companies had a new market open to them...

Once the new Administration was sworn in... Cuba was closed.  We still have an embargo against them.

For economic warfare, we dont need a conflict... Just a disagreement. 

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,495 posts
3,423 battles
14 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

That depends on what their countries of origin or their Economic blocks, are capable of..  For example, during Obama's administration..

Cuba was opened to American citizens for the first time.  That means, American cruise companies had a new market open to them...

Once the new Administration was sworn in... Cuba was closed.  We still have an embargo against them.

For economic warfare, we dont need a conflict... Just a disagreement. 

sure but what happens to our accounts if war broke out? will they just be "deleted" the moment that "happens" or will we get a message from the state department?

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

sure but what happens to our accounts if war broke out? will they just be "deleted" the moment that "happens" or will we get a message from the state department?

War breaks out, the President has the power to shut down the internet...

Our accounts along with the servers are property of WG, what they do with it... That is up to them.. Must companies, sell off assets to shell companies so that, players can log in to their accounts on the server.

In other cases, its gone.. Into the black hole of the net, never to be accessed again.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,495 posts
3,423 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Our accounts along with the servers are property of WG, what they do with it... That is up to them.. Must companies, sell off assets to shell companies so that, players can log in to their accounts on the server.

In other cases, its gone.. Into the black hole of the net, never to be accessed again.

that includes mobile games too like tencent?

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 minute ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

that includes mobile games too like tencent?

From what I know, I will go into two places.

1. A shell company, someone that manages the server and the accounts for players to access.
  2. OR to the internet black hole of death, never to be seen or access again.

Which one will it be.. That is out the players control, the decision lays with the individual companies.

[O_O]
Members
6,426 posts
15,262 battles
1 hour ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

If WWIII breaks out, I don't think I am going to give two damns about WG or this game.

• Cool 3

Members
269 posts
5,070 battles

That could definitely be the case, but I consider this to be far more likely:

I can't imagine much would be affected.

Would it make sense for a company to drop a significant portion of their customers just because of a war? I guess it's one thing if they were originally selling weapons or raw materials but I can't imagine why an entertainment company like WG would just delete their US playerbase.  I can't imagine any company would turn down money considering it's, you know, money.

And it's also not like the revenue for the game is going directly to Russia, in fact its more accurate to believe WG is getting taxed from any of the handful of studios it operates in internationally.

For a company as globalized as WG, I would imagine only specific servers may be shut down due to national legislation. Even then, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle if countries are willing to enforce things like net neutrality. People will and have been finding their way around it via VPNs.

I believe the free market would make it plain uncompetitive for ISPs who fail to remain net neutral. Besides, if WWIII starts in our lifetime and the Internet stops being net neutral then think of all the essential businesses that could be disrupted. This would prevent companies from practicing international business, and would probably signal an economic collapse for everyone.

TL;DR - WG is international and if a country decides to block it there is nothing WG can do about it. Considering WG is an independent entertainment company, I doubt countries would really care unless they have historically cared about censorship (*cough* China)

Just now, desmo_2 said:

If WWIII breaks out, I don't think I am going to give two damns about WG or this game.

:fish_viking: Yes

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,525 posts
4,585 battles

It would depend more on where the servers were than where the company operated as a business entity from.

For example, if WG had the N. American servers somewhere in the US it is likely those would be set up PDQ to be separate from overseas ones and everything on them would continue as normal run by a now N. American / US company that was formed to operate them.

Now, that could mean losing some features or options in the short run, but after months or more, the new operators--assuming the conflict hasn't forced them to shutdown for economic (such as being turned to another use) or military reasons (security etc.)--would add back features they thought would keep interest.

Postwar is when things get interesting.  Part of this depends on who wins or the treaty outcomes.  It is fully possible that the broken up subsidiaries that ran independent tell the parent company to shove off and keep operating independently.  They might reestablish ties on the other hand.  Or, they might just disappear pocketing the gains and leaving the parent holding the hardware and nothing else.

That's all highly speculative but possible.

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles

Real war is *messy*.
I'm guessing the *elite* will want a smooth transition to power that doesn't risk them getting nuked in the process.

Covid-19 is one example of economic warfare, in my opinion, along with germ warfare.  Whether it was accidental or not is up for debate.

Eco-warfare doesn't carry the same risk of nuclear radiation.  Nor does it render places uninhabitable for many years the way that neutron bombs do.

I'm thinking that those who want to take over the world also want to keep the infrastructure (that produces their comforts) in place and as intact as possible.

[HELLS]
Members
2,660 posts
27,043 battles
38 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

'm thinking that those who want to take over the world also want to keep the infrastructure (that produces their comforts) in place and as intact as possible.

Which means that neutron bombs, biologicals and chemicals will be used if they want the real estate and infrastructure but not the local populations. Any survivors become disposable slave labor for the postwar cleanup. This is one grim bloody thread....mods please close it down...

Members
2,779 posts
36,491 battles
6 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

I think some employees are safe. I seriously doubt any would be interred in a camp or something.

As for global conflict, that is not possible in the conventional sense as biological warfare will be the alternative to nukes.

Why destroy the infrastructure when you can waltz right in after everyone drops dead?

As macabre as that sounds, it is possible to do and cost effective.

But I could hand down every scenario I have researched over the years to all of you, but it will only make you curl up in bed freaked out.

What wins wars is reasoning and logic.

What brings peace is knowing when to fight for it.

Only bad countries even ponder doing this and Russia today, wants to expand economically, not territory wise. They have too much territory as it is.

As for other countries, it's about resources and technology.

So long as there are reasonable humans about, there will be no war.

Otherwise, some of my scenarios might happen.

Hey, I just do the research, but I am often asked. And the person asking often goes: "Oh, I wish I didn't ask you that."

LOL 😎

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
10 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

10 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Odds are good that WG would NOT delete all our game data unless they were given absolutely no choice whatsoever by government, and even then they would be heartbroken over doing it. Reason being our data is just as important to them as it is to us.

To us players it means good times and a lot of work out in.

To WG it’s their business and their income that would all be down the drain if they had to delete it all, or even just our player accounts while the main game data is saved. Think about it if we all globally had our game accounts data deleted would we really want to have to start all over again in WOWs? Some would be willing while all too many likely would not unless their accounts could be recreated fully by WG.

So many of us have put so many hours in earning achievements, unlocking and buying ships, getting premium ships, working on our stats, stockpiling currencies. It’s a lot of work really

So what might happen is even if various Governments might lock down the international internet, they just might allow for national internet within their borders. And if that were the case WG could keep their games alive or at least mostly alive by tasking their local HQs with increased management of their games. Granted the update process would slow or be put on hold indefinitely, but at least the game could still function under localized control. And WG might even be able to negotiate for some sub HQs with servers to be placed in places like Japan, and other places if they feel their market / player base size is worth the effort.

Otherwise a full global lockdown of internet assuming it still is allowed to function just within the borders of a nation could mean only United States, Brazil, Australia, Luxembourg, Belgium, German, Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Russia, and China would have servers based on server info from WG Wiki on WOT Servers. Although with the EU Union the servers could still likely keep all of Europe online as it functions almost like semi unified nation is some aspects currently. And Canada could possibly be allowed to still have access to United States internet in this restrictive internet scenario.

But my point is it would be a 100% absolute last resort that WG would destroy all our game data for all players.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,495 posts
3,423 battles
14 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Odds are good that WG would NOT delete all our game data unless they were given absolutely no choice whatsoever by government, and even then they would be heartbroken over doing it. Reason being our data is just as important to them as it is to us.

To us players it means good times and a lot of work out in.

To WG it’s their business and their income that would all be down the drain if they had to delete it all, or even just our player accounts while the main game data is saved. Think about it if we all globally had our game accounts data deleted would we really want to have to start all over again in WOWs? Some would be willing while all too many likely would not unless their accounts could be recreated fully by WG.

So many of us have put so many hours in earning achievements, unlocking and buying ships, getting premium ships, working on our stats, stockpiling currencies. It’s a lot of work really

So what might happen is even if various Governments might lock down the international internet, they just might allow for national internet within their borders. And if that were the case WG could keep their games alive or at least mostly alive by tasking their local HQs with increased management of their games. Granted the update process would slow or be put on hold indefinitely, but at least the game could still function under localized control. And WG might even be able to negotiate for some sub HQs with servers to be placed in places like Japan, and other places if they feel their market / player base size is worth the effort.

Otherwise a full global lockdown of internet assuming it still is allowed to function just within the borders of a nation could mean only United States, Brazil, Australia, Luxembourg, Belgium, German, Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Russia, and China would have servers based on server info from WG Wiki on WOT Servers. Although with the EU Union the servers could still likely keep all of Europe online as it functions almost like semi unified nation is some aspects currently. And Canada could possibly be allowed to still have access to United States internet in this restrictive internet scenario.

But my point is it would be a 100% absolute last resort that WG would destroy all our game data for all players.

very strange and confusing since if said hypothetical WWIII broke out (NATO vs Russian and China) the US is considered an enemy opponent to Russia and China. well i guess it isn't like WWII where international businesses just cease to function or stuff stops coming in or out when the war broke out right?

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles

If WWIII does erupt, I don't think anyone is going to worry about video game accounts because we're all going to die real quick.

Sign in to follow this