You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Angstroms

Does Matchmaking balance the WR/PR for both sides?

33 comments in this topic

[WNNR]
Members
21 posts
5,752 battles

I know I need to improve myself before blaming the matchmaking. I'm not a great player but at least from my stats, I think I'm doing my job and tried my best. 

In the past two weeks, the matchmaking for Randoms has brought me a lot of frustrations. For my Akizuki, the WR of the opposing team is constantly ~2-3% higher than mine (9 out of 14 games, not consecutively). Sometimes even if the matchmaking swap one ships between each team things would be much better. Does the matchmaking spend any effort balancing it?

Also, how do you veterans deal with this feeling? I love this game (except the balancing team) but this really gets me a bit disgusted...

Edited by Angstroms

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,627 posts

No.  That's why it's called "Random" mode.  The MM just matches on tier and ship class metrics.

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at mods that show you player's stats in matches.  Just play the match and do your best.  Fun is the goal of a video game after all.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

No, none. Only ship type and ship tier, as well as number of times as a bottom tier are taken into account.

[WNNR]
Members
21 posts
5,752 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at mods that show you player's stats in matches.  Just play the match and do your best.  Fun is the goal of a video game after all.

Thank you. I'll try....

[SOV]
1,868 posts
8,476 battles

It doesn't, and just switching that one player doesn't really change the outcome because there is no guarantee of victory. All that does is change a number on a mod to help players who run it feel a little better about the upcoming battle. 

I've been playing this game off and on for a long time and prior to that I came from World of Tanks that had similar situations, not to mention a similar mod that had an eerily similar effect on people who ran it. My opinion on the whole thing is that people who maintain high win rates over thousands of battles didn't get there because of luck or good fortune from matchmaking. They improved their skills through gathering knowledge and putting that improved knowledge into practice during games. For some it came naturally, for others it took thousands of battles to figure out the myriad of aspects at play during each battle. I have no issues with matchmaking because it's all random and I know I'm not going to win every match, I just try to improve and learn as I go. Some days I can drag the wrecks of my teammates across the finish line to victory, some days I sink with them. As long as I'm enjoying myself and continually improving (even if it's only by a minuscule amount) then I'm content. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[A-D-F]
7,627 posts
2 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

Thank you. I'll try....

You don't have to try.  Just uninstall the mod.

Not against mods persay, but I have been playing since beta and never used one.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Not against mods persay, but I have been playing since beta and never used one.

Out of plus ones so have this instead. :Smile_great:

Even using it to help dissect a match postmortem which I used to do gets irritating and I finally tossed it.

I do wish that they would skill balance the teams after the 24 players have been selected with the top player in divisions used for all of that division's players.

• Cool 2

Members
3,589 posts
13,004 battles
22 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

Also, how do you veterans deal with this feeling? I love this game (except the balancing team) but this really gets me a bit disgusted...

I dont use the MM monitor. I have the link (maybe an old link, thanks crim for sharing); but I dont load it. I play to the best of my ability, win or lose, I just try to have fun.

As far as my teammates go, I just assume everyone else is going to make the wrong move and play accordingly. I have to stay alive to keep contributing. Throwing my ship away for them is futile in most cases.

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Cool 1

[WNNR]
Members
21 posts
5,752 battles
8 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

As far as my teammates go, I just assume everyone else is going to make the wrong move and play accordingly. I have to stay alive to keep contributing. Throwing my ship away for them is futile in most cases.

Thx for the advice! It just feels horrible when, for example, you in a smoke CA following a DD who yolo'ed into a suicidal run, or when the enemy rocket planes coming to you in a DD and your CV just passed through you leaving nothing. The monitor sometimes predicts that for me.

Anyway, I guess I'll move on without the MMM for a while...

Edited by Angstroms

[WORX]
Members
10,725 posts
18,582 battles

I dont use MMM, because applied mathematics already tells me who I am facing every match.

40 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

I know I need to improve myself before blaming the matchmaking. I'm not a great player but at least from my stats, I think I'm doing my job and tried my best. 

In the past two weeks, the matchmaking for Randoms has brought me a lot of frustrations. For my Akizuki, the WR of the opposing team is constantly ~2-3% higher than mine (9 out of 14 games, not consecutively). Sometimes even if the matchmaking swap one ships between each team things would be much better. Does the matchmaking spend any effort balancing it?

Look OP, MM use to be a complete disaster... You would have upper tier BBs VS lower tier DDs and it use to be bad...

No matter what WOWS offers to improve MM,

• Mirror MM to kindergarten CO-op mod, 
  • Same tier MM to Rank, Rank sprint, or  CB,
  • +2 MM to Randoms...

Some people will never be happy.

I see it as a player's scapegoating MM for their or their fleet's loss.

I bet if someone is winning, they're not thanking MM for the win... Thats for sure...

BTW,

%2 to %3 percent difference ?? That is not only normal its expected.... Win or loses are never/not locked in because of the difference in WR%, never has, never will be.

The consistency is because, the population in queue when MM plucked the number of players to form a match. Its not going to change unless the population or the population in queue changes...Radically,

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

Members
3,589 posts
13,004 battles
14 minutes ago, Angstroms said:

Thx for the advice! It just feels horrible when, for example, you in a smoke CA following a DD who yolo'ed into a suicidal run, or when the enemy rocket planes coming to you in a DD and your CV just passed through you leaving nothing. The monitor sometimes predicts that for me.

Anyway, I guess I'll move on without the MMM for a while...

Just a caveat about what I said, it's very much a solo random mentality.

The best advice is find some solid players here and consistently div. Learn what you can from them. Join a active, like minded clan and do the same. I have led clans/guilds in many other games, so I know this intimately.

Div and clan play is where you will find teamwork. Randoms is just random. You have to be pretty self sufficient/reliable to maintain consistency.

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles
37 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

No.  That's why it's called "Random" mode.  The MM just matches on tier and ship class metrics.

What? You want us to simply play and enjoy shooting stuff? Like we should treat the game like a fun hobby or distraction? How quaint. 

Everyone knows the real fun comes from obsessively tracking stats and comparing ourselves to everyone else.. thereby increasing or decreasing our self worth. (I know people say they only compete with themselves but we know how honest that is..).

Besides, what better way is there to inflate our egos than by targeting and destroying players with a worse WR/PR than we have and then feeling superior?

source.gif

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
1 hour ago, Angstroms said:

You'll get used in time and remember the reason to play is to have fun. Some of your ships will have just bad luck and probably have terrible WR given a limited number of matches, they'll be the whipping boys of your fleet... that's the way Randomization works. Don't take it personal, it is just maths.

[EQRN]
Members
2,037 posts
17,539 battles

I wouldn’t use a monitor, I go into every game planning on winning.  If I used a mod that said “You’re going to lose no matter what” I’d give up before the match started, which is exactly what my least favorite kind of player does.

Members
6,621 posts
20,677 battles
1 hour ago, Angstroms said:

It will choke the life out you sooner or later. Most great players rarely play solo Randoms. Don't believe me? Use some of the best clans as an example, look up the players in them and sort on solo games. They won't do it. yes they will division up because three great players can swing most games. But the majority won't play solo Randoms.

I don't blame them

Took a break for a few days because the player base is so bad i would have team killed myself into infinity and beyond.

I just played my first game in a few days.

We were down 5 ships at the 16 minute mark. 7 vs 12 for 16 minutes. My skill and earnings were ruined before the game ever started. 15 minutes wasted to get 800 base XP, camos and flags and ships I paid for....... because of rock kickers that literally can't play the game besides pushing the W button and shooting the ammo on the 1 key.

As a 20k game player, the best thing you could do would be to walk away. It won't get better.

[O2]
Members
229 posts
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

And while you're at it...hide your stats for everyone else and enjoy it when all the stat [edited] starts interrogating you why you hide them...because now their stats are all messed up...

www.worldofwarships.com > Log in > Players > Profile Privacy > Private

• Cool 1

Members
311 posts
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

whoehahahaa..... this is like watching CNN or reading the NYT; propaganda and keeping up the false narrative, spreading the lies

There is nothing random about this game and certainly not in the least the match making. Every single little detail is measured, controlled and directed. After all we are talking about lots and lots of money - many times more then all of us will ever make in a life time. And you want us to believe that Vic (WeeGee CEO and Belaruse fist billionaire) would be leaving all this to some random mechanic...  
but you beta testers and super testers know all that, you are trolling, giving false statements.. blablabla...

• Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Members
6,621 posts
20,677 battles
12 minutes ago, sendit2me30 said:

whoehahahaa..... this is like watching CNN or reading the NYT; propaganda and keeping up the false narrative, spreading the lies

There is nothing random about this game and certainly not in the least the match making. Every single little detail is measured, controlled and directed. After all we are talking about lots and lots of money - many times more then all of us will ever make in a life time. And you want us to believe that Vic (WeeGee CEO and Belaruse fist billionaire) would be leaving all this to some random mechanic...  
but you beta testers and super testers know all that, you are trolling, giving false statements.. blablabla...

You are teh worst bot on this server, how many times have you run you CV into the middle and died ruined the game for 23 other people.

I have reported you over 100 times.

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
42 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

As a 20k game player, the best thing you could do would be to walk away. It won't get better.

Dude, you really lost your Vibes...

[-K-]
7,214 posts
9,362 battles

> Does Matchmaking balance the WR/PR for both sides?

There is no proof that it does.

[-K-]
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
3 hours ago, Brohk said:

It doesn't, and just switching that one player doesn't really change the outcome

Yeah, putting LeBron into a Division III college game affects nothing, because he's just one player and therefore can't really change the outcome.

Members
704 posts
10,015 battles

I honestly don't even know what the MM does anymore. Its random rng chance but lately these games aren't even close. It's not fun blowing out or losing cause my teammates die early. But tbh I can't complain since I've been only playing nevsky and halland solo lately and 100 games in them in total im at least above 60wr...but the quality of play as of late made each game fundamentally boring and stressful. The best approach to play now is to not really care about the MM and expect you will lose and just enjoy whatever you can

• Cool 1

[NEMO]
Members
129 posts
11,254 battles
3 hours ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

You are teh worst bot on this server, how many times have you run you CV into the middle and died ruined the game for 23 other people.

I have reported you over 100 times. 

I guess this means reporting does not do anything, like the fake thermostats in office buildings.

[SOV]
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
1 hour ago, vak_ said:

Yeah, putting LeBron into a Division III college game affects nothing, because he's just one player and therefore can't really change the outcome.

Maybe try including my full quote next time? Here is what I said;

5 hours ago, Brohk said:

It doesn't, and just switching that one player doesn't really change the outcome because there is no guarantee of victory.

So I've gone ahead and highlighted the part of the quote you conveniently left out so that you could make a really lame comparison between adding a transcendent basketball talent to a division III college team that only has 5 players on the floor at any given time - to adding a player with 2-3% win rate above the OP (you know, what the OP referenced) to a video game team that fields 12 players. :Smile_sceptic: I'd say you missed my point entirely, but we both know you didn't, you just wanted to score points with that Lebron comparison. 

[-K-]
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
18 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Maybe try including my full quote next time

I only quote pertinent parts of the text, since I assume that people reading this thread don't have a memory of a gold fish. But even if they do, in fact, suffer from amnesia -- there is a small arrow there that can take one back to the full quote.

Also, you don't understand theory of probability. Because what you're saying is "there is no difference between probability of 1% and probability of 99%, since neither is 100%," which is nonsensical.

really lame comparison between adding a transcendent basketball talent to a division III college team that only has 5 players on the floor at any given time

Right, because somehow at team size of 5 individual contribution affects chances of victory, and with 11 or 12 it doesn't. Okay, feel free to switch the example to football, with a great player of your choice.

adding a player with 2-3% win rate above average (you know, what the OP referenced) to a video game team that fields 12 players

Oh, so now you're starting to realize that skill DOES matter now? Your next line of defense is "only extremely skilled players affect outcome, but simply good players don't"?

I could keep demonstrating why that's silly as well, but why bother.