You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Murakumo_96

Remember when AP secondaries were a thing?

17 comments in this topic

Members
301 posts
10,864 battles

I was looking my old youtube clips and this one stands out, it was so fun when my Nagato's secondaries murdered Omahas that got way too close.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
428 posts
7,881 battles

It'd be nice if you could have the option to switch your secondary armament munitions.

Being able to change it in the middle of a battle would be a bit much though, would be interesting if it where a choice in the modules tab and you had to stick with it.

Pros and cons to both munition types so it would bring forward a lot more options and strategic opportunities depending on what ship you're using.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
7 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

It'd be nice if you could have the option to switch your secondary armament munitions.

Being able to change it in the middle of a battle would be a bit much though, would be interesting if it where a choice in the modules tab and you had to stick with it.

Pros and cons to both munition types so it would bring forward a lot more options and strategic opportunities depending on what ship you're using.

AP secondaries on ships with the IJN 100mm guns would be hilarious against cruisers.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,381 posts
14,152 battles
12 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

I would have no problem with secondaries switching ammo as the mains do but there would be a delay as they used up the ready ammunition unless done out of combat.

Members
3,577 posts
12,928 battles

As a player who loves secondary boats, after that demonstration, ummm yes please.

Members
463 posts
4,350 battles
14 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Make secondaries great again?

only way to make them good under the current state of the game without breaking everything in the process would be to double the effects of all related secondary guns skills/modules, good luck convincing WG with that.

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
4 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

only way to make them good under the current state of the game without breaking everything in the process would be to double the effects of all related secondary guns skills/modules, good luck convincing WG with that.

Man, that would be glorious though!!!

Members
301 posts
10,864 battles
1 hour ago, Rollingonit said:

As a player who loves secondary boats, after that demonstration, ummm yes please.

Unfortunately, AP secondaries are useless most of the time, they were hilarious when something like this happened (poor Omahas, by far the target my AP secondaries sunk), but it was rare... 

Edited by Murakumo_96

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

The funny part was the BB crowd didn't like AP secondaries as a ready opponent could tank them the same way you do any other AP focused attacks.

An angled enough Cruiser or Battleship target will have zero f---ks about AP Secondaries.

A High Tier DD hull with 19mm armor can angle and bounce even 150mm, 155mm AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

Yeah, AP secondaries were really only any good at close ranges against perfect broadside cruisers. HE was much more consistent. This was one of one the reasons Warspite was considered an excellent secondary boat way back when. Unlike most other secondary ships at the time, she had all HE.

Members
301 posts
10,864 battles
21 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A High Tier DD hull with 19mm armor can angle and bounce even 150mm, 155mm AP.

To me, this was the real issue, cruisers had to respect your secondaries, they had to angle, making torp runs a lot harder and dangerous. But a DD would just laugh at you secondaries bouncing and overpenning them.

Overall, HE secodaries are much better, they are way more consistent.

Members
1,725 posts
8,556 battles

The first time I got turned pink in this game was because the secondaries on my Kongo citadeled and sank an allied Phoenix that was about 45° off from the enemy that they were shooting at. The ally was not even in the line of fire; my gunners just got an extra ration of sake. 

[TIMT]
Members
635 posts
3,387 battles

Secondaries are somewhat of a conundrum to balance, not really in the damage department but from a game play point of view. WG stated somewhere that they don't want to have too much 'guaranteed damage'  (correct me on the word if I am wrong) from secondaries as they are completely automatic. On the other hand, they are part of the ships and especially BBs need them as a deterrent against DD rushing in. So, what to do with them?

Think about it, for example Massa basically has an Atlanta strapped to the side. Do you want to have the damage output of an Atlanta player just added to that? So, to balance this the accuracy needs to go way down and they only fire HE. What would be cool though would to make secondaries a bit more interactive, so switching Ammo types is a cool idea. coupled with an altered 'manual secondaries' skill (where you can target several ships, or specify the ammo type for a target?) this could really be interesting. just some random thoughts...

[A-I-M]
Members
2,993 posts
21,957 battles

Who has kills with secondary guns in Randoms with DDs Umikaze, Kiev, Haida, or Orkan?  

I have one in Umikaze, Kiev, and Haida. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
146 posts
3,629 battles

I have a kill with the one secondary gun on Katori. Its a 1x2 turret mounted amidships. It was possibly the most hilarious and enjoyable thing I've had happen in this game so far. I actually was unaware she had a secondary gun at all until the Close Quarters medal popped up on screen. :cap_haloween:

It instantly made her one of my favourite ships in my port.