Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zenn3k

Realistic solution to CVs in Clan Battles

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,585
[-BUI-]
Members
2,024 posts
5,682 battles

So I did some thinking on this issue recently and I think I have come up with something that MIGHT improve the CV situation when it comes to clan battles.

Improvements to Fighters.   Namely their reaction time when enemy planes are within their range.   If the fighters were more dependable, less able to be "gamed", this would allow CV vs CV counterplay at high levels of gameplay.  

My suggestion:   Within Clan Battles ONLY (this would not apply to Random, as to keep random games more "casual friendly"), fighters engage almost instantly upon being dropping/launched from ships, to attack enemy planes in the nearby area.   No more nearly 5s of delay.   Also the fighters do not stop attacking until all nearby planes are dead or they are themselves killed.   

This would allow CV vs CV counterplay, fighter consumables would become MUCH more useful, spotting from enemy CV could be instantly denied, and would force each CV to play much more carefully overall, since flying into a group of fighters would mean heavy plane losses.  

I think this would GREATLY improve CV balance within clan battles and allow for their inclusion to be more acceptable, keeping the changes strictly to the clan battle mode wouldn't affect balance in random battles/operations/co-op.

So, what do everyone else think?   Clearly WG wants CVs to remain in Clan Battles, so continuing to demand their removal isn't an option that'll be taken seriously, but I feel like asking WG to have special ruleset for CVs in Clan Battles just might.    I feel like this suggestion is also very much in line with high level gameplay (ability to counterplay) and the requests of the "boycott" players as well.   

Thank you for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Improvements to Fighters.   Namely their reaction time when enemy planes are within their range.   If the fighters were more dependable, less able to be "gamed", this would allow CV vs CV counterplay at high levels of gameplay.

I've made this suggestion several times before in the past.  It seems to go mostly unnoticed or ignored.

The fighter consumable just needs a big speed buff so they can't be outrun.  If an enemy fighters tag my planes I just speed boost to a friendly ship and have them shot down or "F" key before they can get shot down.

I wouldn't have them engage immediately, maybe reduce the amount time by some, because it would require the player to continue to have awareness of their surroundings and trying to be a step ahead of the enemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,752
[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

Personally a solution would be to pair CVs with CVs. Clans that enjoy them can field their lineups normally, clans that don't can play as they like.

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,121
[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,178 battles
34 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Improvements to Fighters.   Namely their reaction time when enemy planes are within their range.   If the fighters were more dependable, less able to be "gamed", this would allow CV vs CV counterplay at high levels of gameplay.  

I would make it so the the fighters can be assigned to an ALLIED ship without needing to fly a strike there. They would arrive after short delay and then follow/orbit that ship for their duration. They could still be dropped from attack flights in open ocean like they are now. They could NOT be assigned to enemy ships.  As it is now, if CVs are operating on opposite sides of the map, there is no way to provide aircover.

Would have to judicious in their use as they might mark that unseen allied DD for the enemy to go look for later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,585
[-BUI-]
Members
2,024 posts
5,682 battles
8 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I would make it so the the fighters can be assigned to an ALLIED ship without needing to fly a strike there. They would arrive after short delay and then follow/orbit that ship for their duration. They could still be dropped from attack flights in open ocean like they are now. They could NOT be assigned to enemy ships.  As it is now, if CVs are operating on opposite sides of the map, there is no way to provide aircover.

Would have to judicious in their use as they might mark that unseen allied DD for the enemy to go look for later.

While that would be optimal, that would likely require a lot of BIG changes to how things work to be functional, I'm trying to keep my suggested change as practical as possible given the current system.  

Also, I did say it would apply as well to the Fighter Consumable, making that consumable much more useful and attractive overall.    If your fighter consumable reacted nearly instantly and could kill 10+ planes, the need for the CV to do it themselves it much lessened.

Edited by Zenn3k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,651
[SALVO]
Members
4,406 posts
3,801 battles
53 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

So, what do everyone else think?  

You  can't have different mechanics for CB and normal game modes, the developers have stated that rule before. As a first step I think is OK to have at least some functional Air vs Air capability, and don't see why it can´t be applied to all game modes.

That being said, I don't think it is enough to balance them for CBs. There are still fundamental issues regarding vision, map and objective control that remain unsolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,725
[SALVO]
Members
1,990 posts
6,183 battles
16 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

While that would be optimal, that would likely require a lot of BIG changes to how things work to be functional, I'm trying to keep my suggested change as practical as possible given the current system.  

Also, I did say it would apply as well to the Fighter Consumable, making that consumable much more useful and attractive overall.    If your fighter consumable reacted nearly instantly and could kill 10+ planes, the need for the CV to do it themselves it much lessened.

I and many others have suggested an improvement to fighters.  However WG has said that they want CVs to work the same in all game modes.  Ergo giving CVs improved fighters for CBs is out.   Also WG has directly adressed this idea multiple times. They feel that giving CVs better fighters will lead to a situation that mirrors one of the original problems they wanted the rework to fix.   That is the problem where a better CV player can completely shut down a worse CV player.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,585
[-BUI-]
Members
2,024 posts
5,682 battles
10 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I and many others have suggested an improvement to fighters.  However WG has said that they want CVs to work the same in all game modes.  Ergo giving CVs improved fighters for CBs is out.   Also WG has directly adressed this idea multiple times. They feel that giving CVs better fighters will lead to a situation that mirrors one of the original problems they wanted the rework to fix.   That is the problem where a better CV player can completely shut down a worse CV player.   

I don't personally feel like improving the fighters will alter that balance all that much, its still functionally the same thing, just with faster response times.  

If the Fighters aren't going to even do what they are designed to do, whats the point of having them?   Currently they do basically nothing and function almost entirely as spotter planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,725
[SALVO]
Members
1,990 posts
6,183 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:


If the Fighters aren't going to even do what they are designed to do, whats the point of having them?  

I like that we have a topic that I agree with you on.  I completely agree with that. Personally If this was my choice I would make the fighters a very powerful thing. Action zones larger, faster response times able to put an attacked squad into disorganization. After all sending out fighters to protect the fleet was a large part of a Carriers duties from what I understand. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
530
Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

I think removing fighters from CVs period would be a more realistic short-term fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,779
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,334 posts
19,526 battles

Insta-aggro fighters are a problem, since they can be called down right on top of an enemy bomber squadron, and two players trying to do that to each other gets really gimmicky.

Increasing the speed of fighters once aggro'ed is a thing that should probably be done.

But neither of these actually addresses the parts of CV that caused problems in CBs in the first place.

Edited by Edgecase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,715
[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Bring back the RTS model but only for the fighters ;)  Each ship gets a squad of fighters and it can deploy the squad via the map function.  They get no spotting capabilities, but will devastate any planes that enter their sector.

Give them an ammo limit or time limit at which they return to the ship, refuel/rearm, and then go back to where ever they were stationed.

As it stands, the fighters are too slow to react, too easy to avoid and most times, you can just fly right through the circle and not even take damage.  Which, considering this is the only form of air to air there is, is pretty sad.  TBs or DBs should be absolutely shredded by fighters, no contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[BONKS]
Members
1,493 posts
50 battles
2 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Improvements to Fighters.   Namely their reaction time when enemy planes are within their range.   If the fighters were more dependable, less able to be "gamed", this would allow CV vs CV counterplay at high levels of gameplay.  

Except shortening the reaction time of fighters would make it much easier to despawn them as well.
Such a change was actually already in internal testing at one point. The above reason is most likely why we've never heard about it ever again after the initial announcement.

How about going the other way instead? Right now fighters are primarily used for spotting and will continue to be primarily used for spotting because that is all they're ever going to be good at, so one of the more reasonable ways to limit the spotting potential of CVs is to just get rid of the fighter consumable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,239 posts
12,656 battles

Change the game mode to "Sink the Capital Ship." The team that sinks the opposing CV or BB (each team can have only one of those) wins. 

Or make the point value of CV decisively larger than others. Like 300 points.

The goal is to incentivize CV going after the other CV, or defending herself. Like real CV is supposed to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
975
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

Honestly, I'd be happy if fighters at least had a shared stock. 9 charges usable from any plane rather than 3 each. The number of times I realize too late that my current fighter consumable is dry while I have 2-3 of the others is annoying, and it's really not that easy to keep track of, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×