You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

So California was a dud...now let's lobby for Tennessee.

30 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,899 posts
5,634 battles

Let's accept the fact WG released a DOA tier 6...erm I mean tier 7 dud. It's done, it's over, it's powercrept outta the gate.

Now let's look to the future. Alabama released as a sniper...and I NEVER see them at all. Why? Massachusetts came onto the scene and that was it. 

Now I can see the similar happening with the thicc sisters here. Tennessee gets released down the line geared for secondaries. Frankly, I'd buy it if the secondaries were buffed to Massachusetts levels. I'd spam HE and when I got close enough I'd throw out the secondary wall of pain.

Seriously guys, I think this is our pony to lobby for. 

USS-Tennessee-BB43-1943-1080x487.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4

[ANK-A]
Members
1,054 posts
9,862 battles

Oh jeez.  Don't BBs already outnumber all other ships.  DDs are already an endangered species.  I guess WG might as well change the MM to allow 8 BBs in a game.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[NGA-A]
Members
1,284 posts
7,380 battles

CA seems fine to me, haven't any issues with it.  Maybe you're playing it wrong.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,195 battles

I have the California and it is the worst ship I have ever played in the game. I knew it would be bad but I wanted the ship since thats my home state and I had family on her. 

I would warn anyone to not buy this ship. 

• Thanks 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,134 posts
4,090 battles

Everyone said CA was terrible, WG apparently didn't think that was enough and instantly powercrept her with the Florida 12 hours later....:Smile_facepalm:

The most disappointing thing about the split is there were plenty of real built in steel warships, or very detailed designs for US BBs that WG could have used. But nope, they apparently thought the Tillmans were boring, and ran them through a scrambler to get the completely made up three we got instead. Nice WG, you have to make up ships even when it's really not necessary. If they wanted to make money there are WAY better USN BBs to do. CA is crapand it's printing money. Imagine what Washington or New Jersey would have made. Or even some of the standards from Pearl Harbor modernized. Maybe Battlecruiser versions of Lexington...lot's of fun and profitable options. But no, fictional uptiered Colorados. I'm not going to say they're going to be terrible because we have zero playing data on them, and I hope they turn out to be good ships. But I think it's safe to say that no one is terribly excited about doing 23 knots at T10.

A secondary standard would be a lot of fun. I'd be for it. But knowing WG they'd probably give it paper armor, no torp protection, and terrible turret traverse to balance the good secondaries...

• Cool 1

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles
9 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

A secondary standard would be a lot of fun.

People keep saying this but getting into secondary range at 20 knots is not something that's going to happen often. 

[-TKS-]
Members
1,074 posts
8,667 battles

California is a Royal Navy BB in disguise. Become the scumbag and spam HE at everything that moves.

• Funny 2

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

As a Tennessean I would buy the ship.

and RIP Charlie Daniels he was born in North Carolina but became a TRUE Tennessean and Patriot !!!!

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
662 posts
6,281 battles
41 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Everyone said CA was terrible, WG apparently didn't think that was enough and instantly powercrept her with the Florida 12 hours later....:Smile_facepalm:

The most disappointing thing about the split is there were plenty of real built in steel warships, or very detailed designs for US BBs that WG could have used. But nope, they apparently thought the Tillmans were boring, and ran them through a scrambler to get the completely made up three we got instead. Nice WG, you have to make up ships even when it's really not necessary. If they wanted to make money there are WAY better USN BBs to do. CA is crapand it's printing money. Imagine what Washington or New Jersey would have made. Or even some of the standards from Pearl Harbor modernized. Maybe Battlecruiser versions of Lexington...lot's of fun and profitable options. But no, fictional uptiered Colorados. I'm not going to say they're going to be terrible because we have zero playing data on them, and I hope they turn out to be good ships. But I think it's safe to say that no one is terribly excited about doing 23 knots at T10.

A secondary standard would be a lot of fun. I'd be for it. But knowing WG they'd probably give it paper armor, no torp protection, and terrible turret traverse to balance the good secondaries...

The Florida announcement was a bit of a surprise, to be sure.  They put a new product for purchase in the shop, and then made it instantly obsolete within a few hours.  That's some poor marketing right there.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,900 posts
17,948 battles

IMHO, California is a fine ship.  Play to strengths.  Mitigate weaknesses.  She carries her T7 weight and more.

[SEA-7]
Members
258 posts
5,184 battles

I talked crapon California, I still bought it thanks to home state and having been looking forward to the ship since I started playing. 

Regret? Ummm I don’t know. I’m not sure what we were really expecting. I mean, secondaries would be great on this ship if only to provide defense towards DD. You get a sneaky DD that the team let through their defenses and he ends up on your far side and you can’t do anything about it. 

I am enjoying Cali more than Colorado. I don’t think that says much though. It’s a pretty bland ship for my more aggressive pro active play style. Still. It’s okay. 🧐

[PVE]
Members
11,862 posts
24,560 battles
4 hours ago, Raven_of_Norway said:

CA seems fine to me, haven't any issues with it.  Maybe you're playing it wrong.

Same here. Decent ship. Just slow with long reload.

• Cool 1

[JACK]
Members
95 posts
25,054 battles

my 60 percent win rate in the California im in cline to call [edited] on her being a b ad BB . now having spoken the facts of how i am doing with her, ill say Tennessee would be a  nice add to the game with 11.6 km secondaries exc to make her a brawer she would need something diffferent in terms of armor such as a 32mm bow and stern . given how wow has given tier 8 ships 25 mm bow stern as of late  why not flip that around and do it the other way a tier 7 with heavy bow and stern armor she could also use something ess the USN BBs don't usually get a 50mm deck for a change to make her a bit more of a tank in a  brawl. as for people saying you want use the seondaries trust me there is alway some fool that see a standard and charges at you like a fool it would be nice to dish out a little more pain to to teach them a lesson they will never forget .

Edited by Judith_Chase
add content
  • Boring 1

[SVF]
Members
1,727 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, Judith_Chase said:

my 60 percent win rate in the California im in cline to call [edited] on her being a b ad BB .

Meh.  Unicums can make ships like Krazny Krym do well.  Doesn't mean the ship isn't still crap.

• Meh 1

[NGA-A]
Members
1,284 posts
7,380 battles
1 hour ago, landcollector said:

Meh.  Unicums can make ships like Krazny Krym do well.  Doesn't mean the ship isn't still crap.

Whether a ship is crap or not is subjective.  I can make it do well and I am far from being a unicum.  It always seems that when people either refuse to learn the intricacies of how a ship plays they call it crap.  Yes it can be a challenge but thats the fun part of it all.  It seems now days everyone wants to just get in a ship, sail in a straight line, pull the trigger and delete other ships.  Sorry, life isn't that easy. The only thing that is crap when it comes to the majority of ships in this game is usually a player's ability to utilize it properly. 

• Boring 2

[SVF]
Members
1,727 posts
2,254 battles
1 hour ago, Raven_of_Norway said:

It always seems that when people either refuse to learn the intricacies of how a ship plays they call it crap.  Yes it can be a challenge but thats the fun part of it all.

Tell us all then, what the "intricacies" of California are, the secrets of her design style and how to play her.  She's inferior to Colorado in most respects barring concealment and AA (which doesn't matter much these days).

• Boring 1

[O2]
Members
229 posts
5 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

But I think it's safe to say that no one is terribly excited about doing 23 knots at T10.

At first I agreed. But come to think of it....that's actually fast in T10's.

[NGA-A]
Members
1,284 posts
7,380 battles
5 hours ago, landcollector said:

Tell us all then, what the "intricacies" of California are, the secrets of her design style and how to play her.  She's inferior to Colorado in most respects barring concealment and AA (which doesn't matter much these days).

Or you could take the initiative and do a little research like most resourceful players do.  But I'm guessing by your attitude, you'd rather be spoon fed and have everything done for you because it's 'too hard'

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles
30 minutes ago, Raven_of_Norway said:

Or you could take the initiative and do a little research like most resourceful players do.  But I'm guessing by your attitude, you'd rather be spoon fed and have everything done for you because it's 'too hard'

Some people come to the forum to learn. From your answer I could quickly assume you don't know anything either, but whether that is true or not isn't important.

From what I can tell the ship has a very good horizontal spread. You shouldn't over shoot or undershoot much with her, but relies on broadsides for most of their damage citadels or no. Akin to Katori they both have long range to make up for a lack of speed, are accurate and require map and position knowledge to make best use of when teams will show broadside. Like many back liners they rely on the flank to not collapse so often folks in these ships will gravitate towards the map center. For a person who is well versed in working around their allies the ship may work better them. For a person who found their success through exposing themselves and providing an opportunity, not so much. Very far from that. 

11 hours ago, exray0 said:

People keep saying this but getting into secondary range at 20 knots is not something that's going to happen often. 

Having it for your last stand moments would be amusing though. 

Edited by Yoshiblue
  • Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,014 posts
22,121 battles
12 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Let's accept the fact WG released a DOA tier 6...erm I mean tier 7 dud. It's done, it's over, it's powercrept outta the gate.

Now let's look to the future. Alabama released as a sniper...and I NEVER see them at all. Why? Massachusetts came onto the scene and that was it. 

Now I can see the similar happening with the thicc sisters here. Tennessee gets released down the line geared for secondaries. Frankly, I'd buy it if the secondaries were buffed to Massachusetts levels. I'd spam HE and when I got close enough I'd throw out the secondary wall of pain.

Seriously guys, I think this is our pony to lobby for. 

USS-Tennessee-BB43-1943-1080x487.jpg

Who wouldnt want the best secondaries around, especially if you might even get them at a lower tier? 

The logical extension of this to just delete the main guns, put 18 secondary mounts on it and have a "no aim" BB. Flies off the shelves of the Premium Shop.   

[A-I-M]
Members
3,014 posts
22,121 battles
6 hours ago, Toxygene said:

At first I agreed. But come to think of it....that's actually fast in T10's.

23 knots is fast compared to the usual speed of parked, 1/4 ahead or backing, which is what the BBs capable of 26-30+ kts are usually doing.