You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Bacon

Mark 18 Torpedoes

6 comments in this topic

[V1]
Members
10 posts
448 battles

I want to know if there is any ship in the game that uses Mark 18 torpedoes. I recently watched a video and it said that it doesn't produce bubbles. My plan is to find a ship that uses mark 18 torpedoes, search that ship on Youtube, and see if wargaming added bubbles to the mark 18 torpedoes. Please reply the answers only! Thanks.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

From what I can tell they were only used by submarines.

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles

IIRC the Japanese Long Lance torpedoes used during WWII were oxygen fueled and did not leave trails in the water. But AFAIK all torps in the game leave trails.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
11 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

IIRC the Japanese Long Lance torpedoes used during WWII were oxygen fueled and did not leave trails in the water. But AFAIK all torps in the game leave trails.

All torpedoes leave a trail, even electrics, because of propeller cavitation plus exhaust but the Type 93's oxygen torpedoes left a much harder to see trail.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,242 posts
12,670 battles
17 hours ago, USS_Bacon said:

I want to know if there is any ship in the game that uses Mark 18 torpedoes. I recently watched a video and it said that it doesn't produce bubbles. My plan is to find a ship that uses mark 18 torpedoes, search that ship on Youtube, and see if wargaming added bubbles to the mark 18 torpedoes. Please reply the answers only! Thanks.

This is not a simulation. How things work in real life have no bearing in game. Torpedo visibility is not decided by what it's power source is, or even what shape it's in. It's decided by WG putting in an arbitrary number in the game file.

There's no real physics engine in this game, if that's what you are expecting.

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,932 battles
On 7/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, BrushWolf said:

All torpedoes leave a trail, even electrics, because of propeller cavitation plus exhaust but the Type 93's oxygen torpedoes left a much harder to see trail.

Depends heavily on the type of propulsion, the design of the propeller, speed setting and, most importantly, the depth the torpedo runs at.

A large number of torpedoes will NOT leave a discernible surface trail if they're shot deep enough. Even in WW2, the idea that only the Long Lance ones were hard to see because they left little or no surface trail is wrong.

And in modern torpedoes, many will leave NO trail whatsoever, even at depth.

• Cool 1