Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Would AP on all rocket planes be accepted?

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles

Assuming that rocket planes stay in the game, assuming DDs detection is cut in half. 

I think with the German line having these AP rockets and many CV players wanting to unlock this new tech tree, it will reduce DD hunting even more. 

With changing all rocket planes to AP potentially be a decent idea?

  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,674
[CLUMP]
Members
1,896 posts
2,412 battles

It's german so I am guessing you will get a lot of over pens and low rolls cause you know :Smile_sceptic: If graf zeppelin is any indication it will involve a lot of rng :Smile_trollface:

Edited by LastRemnant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
883 posts
5,968 battles

From what I’ve seen those rockets are pretty bad and not a lot of people will choose them over other CVs as they are now. I’ve seen T6 only though so maybe they become usable at higher tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

The most recent iteration of AP rockets appears to be pretty effective, if you get a perfect broadside, against cruisers and BBs and nearly completely useless against DDs or ships with an angle. Overall HE rockets are much better in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,942
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles

Now I am sure the DD's players would like AP rockets but as much as they don't like the idea CV's need a reliable method to attack DD's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,061
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,619 posts
13,182 battles
11 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

From what I’ve seen those rockets are pretty bad and not a lot of people will choose them over other CVs as they are now. I’ve seen T6 only though so maybe they become usable at higher tiers.

From what I've seen AP rockets are gonna be useless about a week after people start seeing them and start turning when they see rocket planes.

54 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Assuming that rocket planes stay in the game, assuming DDs detection is cut in half. 

I think with the German line having these AP rockets and many CV players wanting to unlock this new tech tree, it will reduce DD hunting even more. 

With changing all rocket planes to AP potentially be a decent idea?

No, German CV's have short ranged, low damage, fast moving torps, with what appeared to be a fairly normal arming distance for anti-DD work.

Saddling all the other CV's would mean you would have to provide them something  to use against DD's, so for the USN, you'd have to un-nerf the HE dive bombers so they can hit DD's, and find something else for IJN CV's to use as everything else they have is Anti-BB entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
178
[KOBK]
Members
483 posts
5,566 battles

If they have a decent hit ratio looks fine to me, but if only 1 of 8 hit then no, i preffer the actual rocket plane. At least 4 of 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[COB]
[COB]
Beta Testers
880 posts
6,500 battles

Based on preliminary reports AP rockets are pretty useless. I can't see many CV players actually wanting them. Maybe other ship captains want it because it's to their advantage...but unless the rockets perform better it's probably not realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,540
[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,522 posts
6,405 battles

The British found that AP rockets were more effective against shipping that the RP-3 HE rocket.  AP rockets were used in the anti-ship role and HE rockets for attacks on tanks and other army targets.  The rockets had been designed with the opposite use intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
8 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Based on preliminary reports AP rockets are pretty useless. I can't see many CV players actually wanting them. Maybe other ship captains want it because it's to their advantage...but unless the rockets perform better it's probably not realistic.

To clarify, I think it further moves the CV from the DDs, which is something a lot of people want. As a CV main, I'm interested how it will turn out. I think if it were the only type of rocket, that might help further transfer the role of DD hunting to other DDs and Cruisers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,292
[SALVO]
Members
8,264 posts
6,122 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

With changing all rocket planes to AP potentially be a decent idea?

No. Reason: gameplay variety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Assuming that rocket planes stay in the game, assuming DDs detection is cut in half. 

I think with the German line having these AP rockets and many CV players wanting to unlock this new tech tree, it will reduce DD hunting even more. 

With changing all rocket planes to AP potentially be a decent idea?

As long as the AP rockets have enough punch to destroy torpedo tubes I dont mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[COB]
[COB]
Beta Testers
880 posts
6,500 battles
23 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

To clarify, I think it further moves the CV from the DDs, which is something a lot of people want. As a CV main, I'm interested how it will turn out. I think if it were the only type of rocket, that might help further transfer the role of DD hunting to other DDs and Cruisers.

I see. Well, if the goal is to make CVs less impactful overall, and especially vs dds it would work. But I'm betting you wouldn't get CV players buy-in. 

I'd love to see other ship classes counter dds but many don't..even in games without a CV. Maybe dd to dd engagement is more likely but half the cruisers immediately find an island to park behind. This seems to happen very frequently so I wonder how a change to rockets would change that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,412
Members
663 posts
20 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Assuming that rocket planes stay in the game, assuming DDs detection is cut in half. 

I think with the German line having these AP rockets and many CV players wanting to unlock this new tech tree, it will reduce DD hunting even more. 

With changing all rocket planes to AP potentially be a decent idea?

Well we don't know how effective or ineffective KM CV's will be against DD's.  I think it's a bit early to draw conclusions on how other CV lines may be adapted based on KM CV play.

I also think we shouldn't be making any other changes to the DD-CV interaction until we have had time to play and adapt to the DD air concealment change, assuming it goes through.  That is a massive change, that will completely upend the DD-CV dynamic.  It may well push CV's into being underpowered, or DD's into being overpowered, that is the significance of this change.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
366
[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I suggested this a while ago.  I would much rather all Cvs get Ap rockets to make life easier for dds.  For example Dds take 6k damage from HE rockets.  On top of that, they are forced to use damage Control because they lost torps, guns, steering, or engine.  It is really rare for you to get struck and modules stay intact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
42 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

I see. Well, if the goal is to make CVs less impactful overall, and especially vs dds it would work. But I'm betting you wouldn't get CV players buy-in. 

I'd love to see other ship classes counter dds but many don't..even in games without a CV. Maybe dd to dd engagement is more likely but half the cruisers immediately find an island to park behind. This seems to happen very frequently so I wonder how a change to rockets would change that. 

I've seen some CV players agree with this logic, me included of course lol. Yeah it would be interesting. Someone mentioned that with the concealment change inbound, that should effect the interaction greatly, and I agree with that. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
393
[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
4 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

It's german so I am guessing you will get a lot of over pens and low rolls cause you know :Smile_sceptic: If graf zeppelin is any indication it will involve a lot of rng :Smile_trollface:

The few video's I've seen with the Tier VIII KM CV, over pens are not the issue.  The biggest issue with them is finding a cruiser who will continue to sail broadside to the attack due to nature of the AP rockets and its reticle being designed for broadsides.

It wasn't hard to score numerous citadels but the damage wasn't impressive.

Again, this was just the Tier VIII.  I haven't seen the Tier X version and its potential striking power of the AP rockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,728
[KIA-C]
Members
3,817 posts
16,745 battles

AP rockets would indirectly buff DD and I guess indirectly nerf CA/CL and slightly nerf BB. 

 

It would basically move the issue with rockets vs ship interaction from DD to CA/CL 

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
667
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,476 posts
Quote

Hi, I want my DD to operate with impunity in WoWS and not ever get touched so how about we make CVs even more useless in-game.

Did I paraphrase that right?

I guess folks don't realize that the reason everyone tries to kill DDs fast is because telling DD players the truth would hurt their feelings. I am going to put on my captain big boy pants tell DD players the truth. No one likes you but WG. That's why everyone tries to kill you as soon as you are spotted. That's why CVs like to hunt you. It's not for an "easy kill". It's not to "pick on you". They just don't like you and want to grief you out of the game.

The only people who love DD players are WG or they wouldn't continuously nerf every other class to be pretty much ineffective at finding, damaging, and killing DDs. They nerfed secondaries, they nerfed dispersion vs DDs, they nerfed AP vs DDs, they nerfed murdered torpedo spotting by planes, they nerfed plane spotting distances, they nerfed plane attack patterns, they nerfed smoke to be bestest for DDs, and now they are nerfing CVs again. WG did it because they love DD players.

It's time someone told DD players the truth so there you have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
37 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Did I paraphrase that right?

I guess folks don't realize that the reason everyone tries to kill DDs fast is because telling DD players the truth would hurt their feelings. I am going to put on my captain big boy pants tell DD players the truth. No one likes you but WG. That's why everyone tries to kill you as soon as you are spotted. That's why CVs like to hunt you. It's not for an "easy kill". It's not to "pick on you". They just don't like you and want to grief you out of the game.

The only people who love DD players are WG or they wouldn't continuously nerf every other class to be pretty much ineffective at finding, damaging, and killing DDs. They nerfed secondaries, they nerfed dispersion vs DDs, they nerfed AP vs DDs, they nerfed murdered torpedo spotting by planes, they nerfed plane spotting distances, they nerfed plane attack patterns, they nerfed smoke to be bestest for DDs, and now they are nerfing CVs again. WG did it because they love DD players.

It's time someone told DD players the truth so there you have it.

Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,204
[TDRB]
Members
5,320 posts
13,743 battles
10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Now I am sure the DD's players would like AP rockets but as much as they don't like the idea CV's need a reliable method to attack DD's

This is one area I believe the CV imbalance is very obvious. I do believe I seen where WG is addressing the DD v CV imbalance in an upcoming patch. We see how well it works.

IMO the burn time of fire from rockets on cruisers & BB should be reduced by 75%. Rockets of that era had small warheads.

I said rockets, not the early guided anti-ship missiles which had much larger warheads.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,942
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
4 hours ago, kgh52 said:

This is one area I believe the CV imbalance is very obvious. I do believe I seen where WG is addressing the DD v CV imbalance in an upcoming patch. We see how well it works.

IMO the burn time of fire from rockets on cruisers & BB should be reduced by 75%. Rockets of that era had small warheads.

I said rockets, not the early guided anti-ship missiles which had much larger warheads.

A complete rework of fire and how it is started and how it is fought making it a side effect of all damage instead of the weapon it is now would be excellent.

All ammo types would start fires but at much reduced chances from what HE currently has. Fires would not burn for set periods and could go out quickly or they might burn for extended periods of time. Fires would not cause direct damage but instead could cause "critical hits" such as ready ammo explodes which would cause direct damage or maybe add another fire.

Edited by BrushWolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,008
[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles

Ah yes lets bend over backwards to make DD immune to CV. Because that's really what DD want right now.

AP rockets would give DD nothing but overpens like a BB shooting at it. So no. Just no.

DD have gotten CV nerfed pretty hard patch after patch. 

Now they will have some sort of romulan cloaking device so they have to basically be flown right over to be found. 

 

They need to stop nerfing CV to DD interaction. Its going to make CV harder and harder to play which is the exact opposite of the reborking in the first place. Do we really want to be back to the times where the only people playing CV were either really good or just terrible and detrimental to the team again?

 

Edited by xalmgrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×