You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dawggunner

HELP I have a simple question about Yahagi model

8 comments in this topic

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
10,890 battles

I have been looking online and at a local library for a few months, on and off, to try and figure out what the hell the timber planks are on her aircraft deck on the in-game model.

shot-20_07.05_11_52.26-0691.thumb.jpg.bba38169d509d674957d2c0de01bcd83.jpg

Now for months clearly this has eluded me, frustratingly. BUT things got even more interesting today when i looked at the Armor Model even closer...

shot-20_07.06_12_03.24-0376.thumb.jpg.30c959eec670ae82e0f3e1675061c836.jpgshot-20_07.06_12_03.39-0234.thumb.jpg.ed4bdf444d0693b5cdeedbd2d46db1bf.jpg

WG went all in and they correctly DID NOT model the the armor from the portion that is open and covered in a timber pile. But now I DEMAND an answer: What the hell is this? where are the sources? pictures? I believe its real and everything, i just want to know what are details are.

@LittleWhiteMouse can you ask around? (i don't know any other WG users to ask on here sorry)

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
  1. I assume a timber pile is just that. A stack of timber meant to replace damaged deck or shore up other damage. Other ships have similar stacks (Perth).  Or did I misunderstand your question?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,031 posts
10,080 battles
1 hour ago, dawggunner said:

@LittleWhiteMouse can you ask around? (i don't know any other WG users to ask on here sorry)

Clearly they're used to help ships cross trenches / get out of the mud.  You can see examples in other WG games.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Funny 1

[-BMV-]
Members
514 posts
18,738 battles

Well, and this is a guess, if you take into account that Japanese carriers like Hosho and Ryujo's flight decks were built with wooden planking covered by a very thin layer of steel, it wouldn't be strange that Yahagi's little flight deck was built the same way and those timber planks are replacements for that deck. Other possibility is WG placed the planks there as a way to symbolize the area were Yahagi received crippling torpedo damage that ultimately sealed her fate at Operation Ten-Go (she was hit in the engine room, bringing her to a stop and making her a very easy target).

Edited by Sidelock
Corrections

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Clearly they're used to help ships cross trenches / get out of the mud.

Oh! For shame!

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,028 posts
12,710 battles

It's just shoring for damage control, usually it would be stored more neatly, and it's still used on modern ships.

2 hours ago, Sidelock said:

Well, and this is a guess, if you take into account that Japanese carriers like Hosho and Ryujo's flight decks were built with wooden planking covered by a very thin layer of steel, it wouldn't be strange that Yahagi's little flight deck was built the same way and those timber planks are replacements for that deck. Other possibility is WG placed the planks there as a way to symbolize the area were Yahagi received crippling torpedo damage that ultimately sealed her fate at Operation Ten-Go (she was hit in the engine room, bringing her to a stop and making her a very easy target).

It's actually the other way around, it's a relatively thin steel deck, with a steel support structure under it, and the wood is on top as a form of non-skid. Where you see the steel on the flight deck, the deck level has been brought up, and the wood planking omitted to keep a flush deck for whatever reasons (no need for non-skid there, extra clearance in the hanger down below as many early CV's, especially IJN ones didn't have a deck between the hanger and flight deck, aircraft elevators, ect...)

Many smaller Japanese ships used a form of Linoleum as a deck covering material, as it was lighter, more durable, and better wearing than wood. Probably not as good in terms of anti-slip when wet. The strips that held down the edges were brass, and you can see the grid work crossing the ships decks in game.

Taiho, and possibly later IJN CV's used a latex based deck covering for flight decks, again for weight savings, along with labor savings, with mixed results.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[-BMV-]
Members
514 posts
18,738 battles
25 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

It's actually the other way around, it's a relatively thin steel deck, with a steel support structure under it, and the wood is on top as a form of non-skid. Where you see the steel on the flight deck, the deck level has been brought up, and the wood planking omitted to keep a flush deck for whatever reasons (no need for non-skid there, extra clearance in the hanger down below as many early CV's, especially IJN ones didn't have a deck between the hanger and flight deck, aircraft elevators, ect...)

Many smaller Japanese ships used a form of Linoleum as a deck covering material, as it was lighter, more durable, and better wearing than wood. Probably not as good in terms of anti-slip when wet. The strips that held down the edges were brass, and you can see the grid work crossing the ships decks in game.

Taiho, and possibly later IJN CV's used a latex based deck covering for flight decks, again for weight savings, along with labor savings, with mixed results.

*Facepalm*

i wrote it backwards. Thanks for the correction.