Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Quick Cut: Tier VI German Aircraft Carrier Weser

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,671 posts
12,400 battles

How easy is it to figure out the mechanics of the new German carriers? Last Friday, I found out live on stream.  Enjoy the replay.

EDIT:
By my third game in Tier VI German aircraft carrier Weser, I was starting to get the hang of things.... but can I translate that into a win in a game where I'm top tier?

Edited by SeaRaptor

[-BUI-]
Members
2,030 posts
5,697 battles

Exactly as I expected when they were first announced.   AP rockets are trash.  

There is legit ZERO reason to use German CV over Japanese CV, making German CV entirely pointless.    The rockets MIGHT be effective at T8 or T10 and maybe more-so when top tier, but as I've always said, if a ship HAS to be top tier to do anything useful, its a bad ship.

They have ONE effective target, Cruisers, and only if that cruiser is asleep at the wheel, because any amount of turn-in will completely negate the rockets.    

Why would ANYONE give up fire chance to do a few thousand damage against 1 type of ship class?  Makes no sense.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:
Spoiler

How easy is it to figure out the mechanics of the new German carriers? Last Friday, I found out live on stream.  Enjoy the replay.

Oof -- no fighter spotting, no fighter coverage -- you ended the game with pretty much all of your fighters.   #howNotToCV

• Haha 1

[-K-]
2,671 posts
12,400 battles
7 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Exactly as I expected when they were first announced.   AP rockets are trash.  

There is legit ZERO reason to use German CV over Japanese CV, making German CV entirely pointless.    The rockets MIGHT be effective at T8 or T10 and maybe more-so when top tier, but as I've always said, if a ship HAS to be top tier to do anything useful, its a bad ship.

They have ONE effective target, Cruisers, and only if that cruiser is asleep at the wheel, because any amount of turn-in will completely negate the rockets.    

Why would ANYONE give up fire chance to do a few thousand damage against 1 type of ship class?  Makes no sense.

Tomorrow's video does a better job of showcasing the AP rockets.  There are apparently a few gimmicks to how they work.

I will say that I agree with you at T6.  The AP rockets are really only useful against cruisers.  At T8 (and I assume T10), you actually throw enough rockets into the reticle to hit a DD for a decent amount if you can catch him for a bunch of full pens.  

[-BUI-]
Members
2,030 posts
5,697 battles
43 minutes ago, SeaRaptor said:

Tomorrow's video does a better job of showcasing the AP rockets.  There are apparently a few gimmicks to how they work.

I will say that I agree with you at T6.  The AP rockets are really only useful against cruisers.  At T8 (and I assume T10), you actually throw enough rockets into the reticle to hit a DD for a decent amount if you can catch him for a bunch of full pens.  

Well, its good to hear that T8 and T10 are better at least.   I definitely wanna see how they compare to HE against DDs though.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles
3 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

So they can actually do full pen damage against DDs? I thought for sure they would end up being overpen only. That's interesting.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts

Thanks for the video.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
2,671 posts
12,400 battles
9 hours ago, Tekina_ said:

So they can actually do full pen damage against DDs? I thought for sure they would end up being overpen only. That's interesting.

Somewhere along the way - I think in one of my Parseval games - I hit a broadside DD for about 4k or so.  There had to be some full pens mixed in there in order to get that kind of damage.  I'll see if I can point it out when that video posts on Wednesday.

[-K-]
2,671 posts
12,400 battles

Updated to include game #3 in the ship.  Better use of the AP rockets in this one.

Members
7 posts
7,133 battles
On 7/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, Zenn3k said:

TRUE, got it a few hours ago and these AP rockets are trash, every ship can easly EASLY dodge u. There's only 2 good things about Weser and they are its torps planes and its armor, bombers are ok, better than GZ ones? NOP. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles
33 minutes ago, McFoxtrot said:

TRUE, got it a few hours ago and these AP rockets are trash, every ship can easly EASLY dodge u. There's only 2 good things about Weser and they are its torps planes and its armor, bombers are ok, better than GZ ones? NOP. 

They aren't that bad. They are absolutely less effective than normal HE rockets because they actually care about angling and can't start fires but they aren't that bad. They can chunk out a lot of damage if you aim properly. You need to use their speed and ambush cruisers  so they don't get a chance to turn, or hit BBs in the upper belt area. Also certain cruisers like the Soviets and Japanese have long thinly armored citadels and don't turn well (Aoba, Furutaka, Myoko, Budyonny, Shchors etc.) I go after them preferentially with rockets. The biggest issue I have with the rockets is how their reticule jumps back when you start  your attack.  The planes travel at higher altitudes than normal so they drop down when they start the attack and the reticule jumps back a bit before it moves forward and this throws off aim until you get used to it. I found you need to start the attack run earlier than for most rocket planes and boost into the attack to minimize the time the target gets to turn. 

The DBs actually work quite well now that I figured out their aiming reticule. The bombs drop mostly side-by-side and I found you can actually get the reticule fully over smaller cruisers and have the bombs go wide to both sides although it is much less severe than GZ. Overall though they are much more accurate than GZ's. Also the DBs don't overshoot when they pull out like other DBs. The drop is very steep and doesn't have that much forward momentum so you can complete the dive, make a tight turn, and come back around on targets that have weak AA. Overall though the DBs have been my best damage producers for Weser. I don't really like the torps that much. They are reliable and easy to hit with but the damage is so poor it's barely worth using them on a BB and they are barely better against larger cruisers. I haven't really tried them on DDs much. I found it easier just to leave them for the rest of the team to deal with and focus on the cruisers.

Another thing, Wesser is pretty decent against other carriers. She doesn't depend on DOT damage so she doesn't care about the enemy CV's funky damage control. Also, CVs are big targets and don't turn well so the rockets punch hard into their sides and they can eat citadels from the DBs. 

Honestly, Weser is OK. It isn't as reliable a damage producer as Ryujo and it isn't as flexible as Ranger, but it does ok if you pick your targets well. Plus its funky look kinda grows on you. lol. 

Sign in to follow this