You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
vikingno2

Coal burning a hole in my pocket

23 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
1,258 posts
29,878 battles

Got about 265k trying to figure out what ship I want; Yoshino, Salem, Georgia, Thundered and Marceau at my options. Any advise from people who own these or fight them allot. I play all classes except CV regularly.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
6 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Got about 265k trying to figure out what ship I want; Yoshino, Salem, Georgia, Thundered and Marceau at my options. Any advise from people who own these or fight them allot. I play all classes except CV regularly.

Georgia

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,221 posts
5,370 battles

I only own Marceau and Yoshino so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Yoshino: A very squishy cruiser, used mainly as a backline HE spammer. Do not attempt to push in this thing. Not recommended at all

Spoiler

Salem: A Des Moines clone with a 8.5km radar and superheal. Not much else to say, except just grind out Des Moines.

Georgia: Borderline OP. 40 second cooldown on the heal, French speed boost (It can go nearly 40 knots), good secondaries that do not need manual secondaries, and accurate, 18 inch guns with a lower reload.

Spoiler

Thunderer: An excellent sniper, very squishy, and does not have a superheal like the Conqueror. Very recommended.

Spoiler

Marceau: A lot of fun, and crazy DPM. It can outfight pretty much any DD you encounter. No smoke or repair, plus it's high speed can get it into a lot of trouble, however.

Spoiler

Edited by PotatoMD
Added videos
  • Meh 2

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
411 posts
15,549 battles
40 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Maybe Florida coming out?

[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles

You can't go wrong with Thunderer or Georgia.

• Cool 1

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
44 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

I only own Marceau and Yoshino so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Yoshino: A very squishy cruiser, used mainly as a backline HE spammer. Do not attempt to push in this thing. Not recommended at all

Reveal hidden contents

Salem: A Des Moines clone with a 8.5km radar and superheal. Not much else to say, except just grind out Des Moines.

Georgia: Borderline OP. 40 second cooldown on the heal, French speed boost (It can go nearly 40 knots), good secondaries that do not need manual secondaries, and accurate, 18 inch guns with a lower reload.

Reveal hidden contents

Thunderer: An excellent sniper, very squishy, and does not have a superheal like the Conqueror. Very recommended.

Reveal hidden contents

Marceau: A lot of fun, and crazy DPM. It can outfight pretty much any DD you encounter. No smoke or repair, plus it's high speed can get it into a lot of trouble, however.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually Yoshino is very capable, and she can be so much more than an HE Spammer, her AP for example is phenomenal and her armor is not as bad as some try to make her out to be. It’s all in how you use her, like how you angle, using agility to evade shells when possible, really just play her like a Battlecruiser where your fast, heavily armored, and reasonably armored but can’t really go full out head to head with a BB, but you can still hurt them and murder anything smaller than your ship.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

0 posts

Georgia or Thunderer. Yoshino is a lot more disappointing than I thought and Marceau is just bad.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles

If you are operating the Des Moines with no problems, the Salem is superfluous.

For me, having the Salem means I have Des Moines guns and hull with a free T10 permacamo and affordability in co-op, which for my purposes compensates for the worse radar and the lack of a Unique Upgrade. 

[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

None; would wait to see how Ludendorff and Paolo Emilio shape up to be (though with the recent changes not that interested)

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,878 posts
22,414 battles

Georgia is pretty much just OP for its tier. There's no reason of any sort to pick Iowa over it IMO.

Thunderer is a relatively unique T10 with extreme accuracy and still pretty decent maneuverability and durability.

The rest are all very niche ships.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

I've got around 350k worth of coal saved up. Already bought Thunderer, JB, Musashi, and Smolensk  with coal. 

Georgia seems tempting but I'm waiting a bit to see what new coal ships are coming.  

[LOU1]
Members
4,254 posts
12,836 battles

Salem has a bit better heal and (front plate) armor than Des Moines and is profitable in PvE.  Even though I have DM, I do not regret buying Salem at all.

Georgia is a lot of fun and has Massachusetts secondaries.  This is an enjoyable ship that I enjoy playing.  Nothing like hitting speed boost and brawling around in a cap.  I really like driving her.

Thunderer has a big punch, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.  Not sure if I am glad i bought her, but that might be because I am not a fan of "traditional" BBs.  Thought it would be an opportunity for me to like the heavier RN BBs, but that hasn't happened.  (I have Warspite, Nelson, Hood, and DoY and have not been enticed into going above Tier 6 in the researchable line.)  She is a port queen because I tend to push in too soon and/or inappropriately and get deleted quickly while doing dismally low damage.  A purchase I regret

Jean Bart is meh to me for some reason.  I keep meaning to take her out more often, but keep forgetting to.  The jury is still out because she is a bit fun.

Smolensk makes me feel guilty when I drive her.  Hilarious, but feels like cheating in Ranked.

Personally, I am trying to decide between Marceau and Yoshino myself.  At first, word was that Yoshino was not very good.  I am noticing that more and more players and YouTubers are saying it is a pretty good ship.  I have hesitated to get her because IJN CA/CLs and I don't get along too well.

I was originally planning to go with Marceau, but I am dubious about my abilities to contribute at Tier 10 with a DD.

Hopefully this thread will help me make a choice other than buying both with the coal and coupon I have.

(DISCLAIMER:  I have fallen into the seductive trap of playing a lot of PvE.  All of these ships turn a profit in PvE and are good at fulfilling various missions quickly in that mode.  I also don't think it is far to inflict my level of skill on my fellow Captains at Tier 10 too often.)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I have Georgia and love it. 

Can't comment on the rest.  

(The only other coal ship I have is Smolensk...) 

[PVE]
Members
13,886 posts
29,287 battles
4 hours ago, vikingno2 said:

Got them all. Salem, Georgia, and Thunderer are the best and really good. Yoshino is meh (back line HE spammer). Marceau is ok if you like French DD's. Really it depends on what you like to play and what ship would benefit you most as a Capt trainer as well. IF you like BB's then Georgia and Thunderer are both really good. Georgia is the better ship IMO (plus as a T9 Premium it earns much better) but Thunderer may be a better fit for you? Salem is great if you like US CA play. A very strong ship like DM. 

Really it comes down to what you like/play and what might benefit you more as a Capt trainer. Just based on how good the ship is, and setting aside playstyle and Capt needs, I would personally rate them...

1. Georgia
  2. Thunderer
  3. Salem
  4. Marceau
  5. Yoshino

Don't forget the new KM T9 Premium BB Ludendorff is coming for Coal here at some point too. IF you like KM BB's for brawling it looks promising as long as WG doesn't nerf it to death.

I am ready for a new Coal ship or a new Coal storage facility LOL...:Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

1.jpg

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
698 posts
14,856 battles
5 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

I push in with mine occasionally. Just don't go broadside. Have gotten close enough to get a few secondary kills as well.

0 posts
1 minute ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I push in with mine occasionally. Just don't go broadside. Have gotten close enough to get a few secondary kills as well.

be a madlad and go full secondary build heh

• Funny 1

[PHD]
Members
271 posts
12,174 battles

I like my Thunderer, if you like putting long range HE fire on people, burning them down to the water line and deleting cruisers at medium range with your AP, then Thunderer is the ship for you.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Thanks for the advise as I was going to get Yoshino until this thread, now I will just coal grind for the Thunder only.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,815 posts
16,741 battles

Do you need money ?

If the answer is yes, then pick Georgia. Others aren't as great at making money.

If the answer is no, then I would rank like this:

1 - Georgia / Thunderer (both are pretty strong and quite OP, Georgia being more OP at T9 than Thunderer at T10)

2- Yoshino. She's good and relatively easy to play

3- Marceau. I consider her stronger than Yoshino but she is definitely not an easy ship to play IMO

[CYNIC]
Members
3,053 posts
8,311 battles

Any word on FDR yet?  Sit'n on 3mil FXP, 30k steel and 250k coal with coupon, and of course 70k RB points.  Want a new bote!!!

[VORTX]
Members
659 posts
8,297 battles

Grabbed Georgia today. First impression is that it is hella fun. Armor is quite squishy but the guns are amazing. Very easy to overextend with the speed, wow, just wow. Thunderer was my second choice. I went with Georgia based on the captains and my place grinding the line. I am grabbing Nelson for captain training yet and Thunderer next if its still around in 4-6 months when I have the coal again. At that point, I am not even sure there is a point in grinding the british BB line. 

Either choice seems great, but I am having a ball in Georgia. GL HH.