You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FuriousDestroyer_999

Your thoughts on the British Lines? What do you think?

36 comments in this topic

Members
70 posts
131 battles

What are your thoughts on the British Battleship, Cruiser, and Destroyer lines? Are you feeling that something should be changed? Let me know, and I'll do my best to try and help you. I'm no wargaming developer, but I can bring your proposals up with them. 

Premium Ships that should be changed: 

In my opinion, there are some ships that I think should seriously be transferred to the regular line as follows... 

HMS Nelson

HMS Vanguard

These two ships were built as the first of the Nelson and Lion class battleships respectively, and I think HMS Rodney should replace Nelson as the Premium. 

Premium Ships that must be added: 

HMS Dorsetshire

HMS Prince of Wales

I mean, really, you add Duke of York, a floating garbage can, and not Prince of Wales, the battleship that aided in Bismarck's destruction?! Really Wargaming, come on.

Ships that need buffs: 

Duke of York

HMS Hood

These two are badly in need of buffs.

• Boring 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,432 battles

Why move two premium ships to the tech tree line?  By the way, Vanguard was a one-off, the only one of her class and she wasn't a Lion class battleship.

Why add Dorsetshire?  

Why add PoW?  You already have two KGV class ships in the game.  It's not as if DoY wasn't instrumental in sinking a German battleship herself.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
808 posts
9,689 battles

I’m indifferent to the suggestions tbh, but I enjoy the Brit cruiser and dd line. Generally good ships throughout the tree and the daring and mino are both strong and mad fun. No issues for me

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts

A player with 73 battles and none of the ships in question, gives his opinion...Film at 11.:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

The Conqueror Used to be good with 18 inch guns before the cry babies went to WG and have it removed. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,122 posts
4,088 battles

Vanguard is fine as a premium, unique ship that the RN literally threw together from spare parts and was completed well after BBs were relevant. She doesn't fit in the line, basically same armament as the QEs at T6. Same with Nelson, doesn't fit the line. The only one that I'm a bit upset about is Dreadnought. That should have been the T3. 

DoY is a reward ship, it's supposed to be a bit crap. Because heaven forbid WG give us a good ship for free. And she got added as for the Battle of the North Cape event, which she was a part of.

Hood has been powercrept, but she's just one on a long line. And WG doesn't change premium ships.

PoW is probably coming. And yes she fought the Bismark. And then was murdered by Japanese aircraft in the Pacific. So be careful what you wish for...

Why should Dorsetshire be put in above many other RN CAs from WWII?

The RN has just as many famous warships as the USN, and neither nation has all of them in game. Give it time, multiple clones of existing ships usually aren't that interesting. The RN is probably the only other nation that has enough BBs to make a second line. We're also missing the Revenges, so yeah. But random calls for changes to random RN premiums isn't real useful.

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles

British line is my favorite for DDs, the Cruisers and the BBs are good too.

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,182 battles

Got 'em all including all premiums except Indomitable, which I passed on because of the unrealistic air group composition, and Cheshire, which is a paper ship. If they had given Indomitable her Corsairs, Hellcats and TBMs, I would have gone for it. The RN, which came late to the game, is my favorite line to play. It is the only line I ground CVs in (and I am a lousy CV player) due to the history of the type.

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles
1 hour ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

HMS Prince of Wales...

‘Make Smoke!’

-Capt. John Leach.

Thoughts?

I hate the CLs with a passion, starting Leander and up?

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1

[KJHWK]
Banned
122 posts

I think the British cruiser lines are fantastic.  I play Dorsetshire in Operations/Coop over every other ship out there when possible.

[SALVO]
Members
4,431 posts
3,825 battles
2 hours ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Are you feeling that something should be changed? Let me know, and I'll do my best to try and help you. I'm no wargaming developer, but I can bring your proposals up with them. 

RN is OK, if you really can "bring your proposals up with them" I have for you a long list of CV and map issues, Operations and game modes. 

[KJHWK]
Banned
122 posts

yep more maps and new Operations would be the thing to do but because you don't need new and expensive paper ships to use a new map or operation we won't see them

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

They seem to be very gimmicky, with the major one being a super heal on pretty much all of their lines. The BBs use mostly HE, the CLs only AP, and the CAs are basically mini versions of the BBs. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,137 posts
14,323 battles
2 hours ago, alex08060 said:

The Conqueror Used to be good with 18 inch guns before the cry babies went to WG and have it removed. 

They separated her out as the Thunderer, which is available for coal and doesn't need 5000 doubloons for a permacamo. They also made her more accurate, which they couldn't do to Conqueror 16 inch guns without making her stupidly overpowered. 

Having Thunderer in my port means I'll never have to grind to Conqueror if I don't feel the urge.

2 hours ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Let me know, and I'll do my best to try and help you.

You have only 73 battles under your belt. Unless this account is a re-roll or you have over 10,000 battles on at least one of the other servers, it's foolish and arrogant of you to put yourself forward in this capacity. 

[COOP2]
Members
261 posts
7,500 battles

Light cruisers are fine for co-op and I do enjoy them, got up to Fiji and it is a definite improvement over the lower tiers. I haven't used them in randoms (save for 1? battle at tier 3) but I can see why people have said the CLs are not a new player friendly line.

Heavy cruisers are a bit slow but other than that they have been working fine for me, except Hawkins as its gun angles are terrible.

BB line is pretty decent, not my favorite though, but I was disappointed with King George V. I'm glad it has an edge in speed compared to the lower tiers, and the guns are actually fine (not perfect but they usually do the job), but the armor is non existent. You can be very well angled and still take tons of damage.

The destroyers, haven't gone too far up that line. They are not bad, not my favorite DD line and not the worst. The very short lived smoke screen is not to my liking as it is useful only if you pop it next to an island and move behind it or if you pop it when pointed AWAY from all enemies that can spot you and use it to gain distance and you can't sit in it out in the open, but I will say since the consumable change (where you now have what was premium smoke) the destroyers are much better. I certainly didn't need the extra charge as you don't even use 5, never mind 6, but the real benefit is the shorter cool down. The cool down was already very short but having it even shorter made the ships (for me) much more comfortable because the smoke is such a short duration that getting another charge as quickly as possible helps quite a bit.

No experience with the carriers, or with the Hood or anything tier 8+.

[ROTTN]
Members
54 posts
13,467 battles

British DD's are clearly my favorite.  1600 battles in Icarus and 3400 in lightning.......... LOL,  and my clan leader says that a problem. 

Oh, Fiji and Minotaur are always a blast as well.   BB's for me..... yawn

If the OP has some pull with the all mighty powers then I have a long list of stuff that I would like changed to suit my personal play style.:Smile_veryhappy:

[FACT]
Members
16 posts
3,326 battles

Why are there no Premium RN CLs?

HMS Ceylon would be perfect, and could also be used in the PanAm line(BAP Grau) and Commonwealth line(HMCS Uganda/Quebec)

[KREW]
Members
590 posts
13,598 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Hood has been powercrept, but she's just one on a long line. And WG doesn't change premium ships.

I do believe that WG will BUFF premium ships... they just won't NERF them.

Anyone else know?

Members
1 post
15,673 battles

I happen to like the RN light cruisers; Leander is a killing machine if used right. Fiji and Edinburgh are good too. I like that they have smoke, heal and torps.

[TIMT]
Members
653 posts
3,448 battles

2 hours ago, Ironshroud said:

The destroyers, haven't gone too far up that line. They are not bad, not my favorite DD line and not the worst. The very short lived smoke screen is not to my liking as it is useful only if you pop it next to an island and move behind it or if you pop it when pointed AWAY from all enemies that can spot you and use it to gain distance and you can't sit in it out in the open,...

I think the point of the RN DD smoke is that it is not to be used for farming damage or whittling down ships with constant fire but more as the escape option for hit-and-run tactics, preferably against other DDs. In coop this is not really useful as the bots are not really that hard to kill and smoke farming is much more usable, but in random it is fun.

I think from Icarus onward charging other torp DDs in a cap, murdering them in their own smoke or at least damaging them significantly was quite fun and useful to the team. If things went sideways or there is too much opposition you just turn abruptly and then engage smoke, kinda like a squid used ink. You also don't really stay in that smoke that long because it attracts torps and people might push you. Later, with better guns using the smoke for short 'farming sessions' is viable, but I still use it mostly as the 'get out of jail' card. Radars and hydro are of course an issue.

[DRAH]
Members
370 posts
9,122 battles

The UK lines are hampered by being real ships which leads to a lot of features that are bad in game but made the ship a superior product in the real world. Case in point the high slab sides of the heavy cruisers allowed superior speed in heavy seas and made them more comfortable for sailors on long voyages. In game however it makes them a massive unmissable target.

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles

My thoughts on the RN line:

• In terms of having a huge stable of historically significant and storied ships to choose from for possible inclusion, the RN outdoes even the USN.
  • My favorite BB line, hands down* (partially for personal reasons - my grandfather served on King George V and watched Bismarck sink). I have everything from Bellerophon to KGV, and I'm slowly grinding up to Monarch. I've liked every RN BB I've played so far, especially Orion, Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about Monarch, as I've heard mixed reviews.
  • I own Hood, and I LOVE Hood. She's fast and tanky, and IMO she's the most beautiful warship that has ever "danced with grace o'er the water's face".
  • As for the cruisers, I wasn't a huge fan until I got to Leander. She's a beast, especially in sub battles. In the heavy line I thought Hawkins was OK, but Devonshire is awesome. Easily my second favorite cruiser in the game after Emile Bertin.
  • Can't speak to the DDs or CVs as I don't play them.
  • If another RN line split is to occur then I'd really like it to be battlecruisers. The addition of ships like Renown, Repulse, Queen Mary or Tiger is something I have been hoping for for some time.
  • If Rodney or Prince of Wales were added as premiums I'd snap them up in a second, especially the former. It'd be nice to get a Nelson-class premium of the same tier that's available for doubloons or coal. (Or they could just make Nelson available for doubloons or coal. And yes, I know Lenin is there, but it's a higher tier and it's just not the same thing.)

* The French line is a darned close second.

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles

RN DDs are my absolute favourite ships, followed very closely by RN CLs. 

The CAs seem ok, and BBs aren't really my thing..  they are the RN line I have the least fun in.  I essentially ignore the existence of CVs from all nations.