Sign in to follow this  
Lert

Rest in peace Maestro Morricone, the composer of the soundtrack to the 20st century

6 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles

When you ask someone who the greatest filmcomposer of all times is, many would answer John Williams, and they'd have a point to. Mr Williams' music is iconic and beautiful, loved by all who love music. But there is - .... was - another composer with, in my opinion, just as much right to that honor.

GettyImages-1127699027.jpg?h=b04c4a8c&it

The Maestro, Ennio Morricone. Even if you don't know his name, you know his music.

Most famous for his work in Spaghetti westerns in the 1960s and 70s and his collaborations with Sergio Leone for some of the most iconic movies of all time with some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time.

But his music was so, so much more than that. He made music for action drama movies:

For gangster epics:

He even composed for Quentin Tarantino as recently as 2008:

_113253483_ennio1_afp.jpg

Even Metallica played Morricone's music:

The Maestro died from complications from a fall after struggling with health issues for the last few years. He was 91 years old. The word 'genius' is often used frivolously, but in this case, I think it does apply. He has composed over five hundred pieces of soundtrack music, including some of the most recognizable pieces ever written. Nominated for six oscars, finally winning one in 2006 for his overall contribution to film music. The Oscar was handed to him by Clint Eastwood.

A difficult man, often grumpy during interviews, demanded respect, wished to be addressed as 'Maestro', but with a resume like that I can forgive an old man his foibles.

1ab0d0f2ab7e6bd15ebab3124f78e459

He was not just the soundtrack to my youth, but the soundtrack to the 20th century - certainly to the second half of it - and to film in general.

Only one other celebrity death has affected me like this one.

6f7cd03314511676d3807e142b841c99.jpg

Rest in peace, Maestro.

• Cool 4
  • Sad 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles

[KWF]
Members
4,385 posts
6,405 battles

May he rest in peace, I don't think there are many if any composers that could say they shaped a whole genre of films just by their music.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,131 posts
4,088 battles

Williams is known by everyone, deservedly so. But though Morricone probably isn’t as well known his music is absolutely iconic, defines a film era for sure.

Sign in to follow this