Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JAD1920

How modern will the vessels be?

10 comments in this topic

Members
118 posts

I tried the search function on this topic and no results came up. I know that it was mentioned before that WOW will not feature Aegis or modern vessels, but how far will they take it? Will we see missile cruisers from the 50s or is the line drawn at the end of the Second World War? Will we have Tiny Tim missiles or Fritz X guided bombs in the game?

As I said, I apologize if it has been brought up.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

No missile cruisers. No missiles or guided bombs period. Everything else is free game as long as it doesn't displace more than 80000 tonnes.

Beta Testers
13,436 posts
141 battles

IIRC.

They've stated that it'll be BB Era only.

Soviet Navy might break that rule, but they used all gun ships for quite a bit.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

I tried the search function on this topic and no results came up. I know that it was mentioned before that WOW will not feature Aegis or modern vessels, but how far will they take it? Will we see missile cruisers from the 50s or is the line drawn at the end of the Second World War? Will we have Tiny Tim missiles or Fritz X guided bombs in the game?

We won't see missile cruisers, or missiles.

Unguided rockets like the Tiny Tim are a possibility, but it is unknown when, if ever they will come.

The deadline is about up to the Korean War, in terms of time, but capability is the main factor.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,906 battles

Mid 1940s seems to be when the final ships are, Montana Class Battleship, Essex, Shimakaze.

You're probably right :D.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
414 posts
697 battles

No missile cruisers. No missiles or guided bombs period. Everything else is free game as long as it doesn't displace more than 80000 tonnes.

I'd guess there would be a cutoff on other tech too... Like no phalanx (would decimate prop airplanes) no automated targeting computers, no next to no crew heavy guns with autoloaders like modern cruisers and destroyers have.... But I dunno exactly where they plan to cut it off.. Lot of older ships were used into the 80's and 90's with modernizations.. 

Members
33 posts
206 battles

Missiles are too destructive it & they didn't even exist until after the cold war which destroyed an  Israeli navy ship. Now days, mostly destroyers & submarines carry missiles 

Beta Testers
13,436 posts
141 battles

Missiles are too destructive it & they didn't even exist until after the cold war which destroyed an  Israeli navy ship. Now days, mostly destroyers & submarines carry missiles 

They existed during the Cold War mate.

For instance the Kynda-class Missile Cruiser from 1962.

Providence-class from 1959 and USS Long Beach from 1961.

Tiger-class Cruiser were given Sea Cats in 1964.

Sign in to follow this