You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DavidFilmer

Why am I told about others' search radar? What am I supposed to do with that information?

19 comments in this topic

[D-D-D]
Members
5 posts
1,224 battles

Something I've wondered about....

Why am I told about others' search radar? What am I supposed to do with that information? How does that knowledge help me?

Thanks!

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
4,168 posts
14,880 battles

If you mean the chat notification, of players using hydro or radar; if they are using them effectively itll temp make the enemy ship visible disregarding concealment as long as it's in range of the hydro/radar.

Then you can focus fire the lit up target.

Alot of players mis use it though. Some just use it almost immediately and waste it; cause there is nothing in range to detect.

• Cool 1

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

The ship using the radar gets vision of the target immediately and it will show on the mini-map for everyone. Ships from the radar using team will get vision 6 seconds later. Basically check your minimap to see if anyone popped up because if so, you'll be able to see (and shoot it) in a couple seconds.  

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles

It does this for team play. It lets you know to not waste your own and also gives you warning that reds are likely to pop up soon.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,882 posts
22,485 battles

Half-assed UI solution IMO. Friendly radars should have the option to be displayed as rings on the minimap.

• Cool 2

[O7]
Supertester
425 posts
13,559 battles

Allied radar gives you a lot of information; if he catches a ship inside the radar then you can hopefully shoot at him. If you asked him to use radar, then it serves as a confirmation that radar was used. 

Even if the radar does not catch anything, then you at least know there is no enemies within the radar range. Very helpful if you are afraid of a DD torping you. 

• Cool 4

[TIMT]
Members
1,745 posts
5,634 battles
49 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Half-assed UI solution IMO. Friendly radars should have the option to be displayed as rings on the minimap.

I don't think so, this would make it too easy imho. You already get somewhat of a visual representation by the 'sweep' (no better word comes to mind) from the radar across the water.

Knowing your teams radar ranges and being able to judge those distances on the minimap could be seen as a skill that is to be acquired. For your own radar you can enable all of those, of course. And with voice coms, divs or teamplay in general a player can tell you if the whole cap is in range or if there is a spot left out.

[CNO]
Members
6,608 posts
19,852 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Allied radar gives you a lot of information; if he catches a ship inside the radar then you can hopefully shoot at him.

To OP, this is good info.  As for hopefully shooting at  him, note that radar'd enemy ships will not render on 3D view for several seconds after detection (except for the ship activating the radar).  But they WILL show up on the mini-map.  So as soon as an ally activates radar, take a quick glance at the mini-map to see if the radar detected anything.  You can often use that few seconds to bring guns to bear based on the mini-map location so that as soon as it renders you get an immediate lock, can quickly adjust, and open fire.

Also, if you already have good mini-map awareness and a target shows up just as radar is popped by an ally, you know that the new target is detected by radar.  Unless it uncovers and is detected some other way, you also know that when it renders in 3D it will only be visible for the radar's duration.  Without the radar "on" knowledge and/or mini-map awareness, you might miss associating the 3D rendering with being radar detection as opposed to a normal detection.  This little bit of information can be the crucial difference between eliminating a threat and letting it get away.     

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles

When a teammate uses radar his icon flashes on the minimap so you can check to see if his radar lit up a high value target for you to shoot at like a capping destroyer for example. Communication is the basis of teamwork.

[NSEW]
Members
2,483 posts
12,063 battles
6 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

I don't think so, this would make it too easy imho.

Imagine a circle around the ship with radar range & circumference  shown in minimap.  Or even in 3D screen (main battle screen).

Now imagine, three more ships (or more) using radars.  Using them to triangulate the target in competitive games...Too easy.

4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

But they WILL show up on the mini-map.  So as soon as an ally activates radar, take a quick glance at the mini-map to see if the radar detected anything.  You can often use that few seconds to bring guns to bear based on the mini-map location so that as soon as it renders you get an immediate lock, can quickly adjust, and open fire.

^Another great point to note there.

Why are people so nice in this forum? What happened? :cap_like:

Edited by LowSpeed_US
typo

[ONE]
Members
366 posts

For the most part it lets you know that the player using the radar or hydro has no clue that those have a limited range and they are using it well out of range of any possible target.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TORCH]
Members
718 posts
19,122 battles
9 hours ago, DavidFilmer said:

Why am I told about others' search radar? What am I supposed to do with that information? How does that knowledge help me?

Thanks!

This is important for two reasons.

The first, which several people have mentioned, is that it may find an enemy ship, and you have limited time (the duration of the radar) to fire at it.

The second, which fewer people have mentioned, is that it allows you some ability to coordinate radars (and hydro).  As an example, suppose you and another cruiser, both with radar, are approaching a cap.  Your detection indicator lights up, but there's no enemy ship in sight.  Now, the other cruiser pops his radar and you can suddenly see that pesky red DD.  You KNOW the other CL is using radar, so you can fire your guns but hold off on your radar.  Now, mentally count seconds, and when his radar's about to run out, NOW you pop your radar.  Voila, nasy red DD doesn't vanish before you can finish him off.

[KRAK]
Members
3,727 posts
22,442 battles
9 hours ago, DavidFilmer said:

Thanks!

Once you see the message you should hold fire so your guns reload so you can fire on the radared ship.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
13 hours ago, DavidFilmer said:

Thanks!

Shoot the dds they spot.

or laugh at their ignorance as they burn a radar without any dds in range.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Mainly it reveals players who don't understand the game, and hit radar or sonar when the enemy cannot possibly be inside the detection radius. 

[GGWP]
Members
7,589 posts
17,969 battles
On 7/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, DavidFilmer said:

Thanks!

Wow, rough crowd. 

First it tells you that ships lit up by it are lit by radar as opposed to not knowing that they may go dark in a few seconds. 

If nothing is lit, then you know that there are no ships within that radar ships radar range. Knowing where ships aren't is almost as good as knowing where ships are. 

And then you know when ships have radared and know that it's on cool down and you won't be expecting them to use it for a minute or 2.

[BOMBL]
[BOMBL]
Beta Testers
338 posts
21,001 battles

lets you know they used radar so you know when it will be available to them again. if they catch something in range you know to look. when i see that message pop up i look on the mini map to see who popped it and if they got a dd or something. that way if it is a dd they spot then i know what dd it is and where. i could be on the other side of the map and know ok that dd is over there i know what im possible dealing with over here. it is just good info to have

[D-D-D]
Members
5 posts
1,224 battles

Thanks, everyone, for these replies! This has been a lot of useful information.

The CRITICAL part that I was missing is that these radars light up a target only for a limited time. I just assumed that, once a target was acquired, it was acquired, though I did wonder why they would sometimes disappear without smoke being evident. I just figured my anti-fog mods were being really aggressive with smoke, and smoke was really present.

Now I know I gotta prioritize these targets if possible. I did not know that.

If I don't happen to look at the minimap to see the target pop-up, is there any way to tell which targets were acquired this way? Is there any way to know how long they will stay lit-up?

Thanks again - you guys are great.

Edited by DavidFilmer

Alpha Tester
6,680 posts
3,338 battles
On 7/5/2020 at 11:55 PM, DavidFilmer said:

Thanks!

It lets you know that there might be something nearby popping up for you to shoot. Simple as that.