Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Top Tier Fun in California

10 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,938 battles

Being chased by two New Yorks,, an Akatsuki, a Minekaze, and a Gneis.  Try to kite that group with no support!

Got lucky....the Gneis decided to disconnect, and the Akatsuki, probably figuring (correctly) that the Mine, two NY, and Gneis could wrap me up, disengaged to get a cap.

Once the Akat disengaged and the Gneis went AFK...it was two NY and a Mine against....a California.  Three T5 vs one T7.  A slow...kiting T7.  Can't fault the NYs much...they mainly stayed in the chase without showing broadsides, and had the Gneis...and two DDs in support.  But once they lost one DD and the Gneis, that gave me a lot of time to work the NY.  My 14 inchers overmatch their bow...so that went well for me.  Had some help from the CV,.  And got some late help from our surviving DD which helped me dispatch the Mine.  The Gneis disconnect was the game changer.  I was able to manage the NY shots....adding Gneis in the mix...would have been the end of me.  Turned a roll win for the reds into a nail bite ending for green.

shot-20_07.05_22_30.59-0585.thumb.jpg.7b906b5e13c1f8cf9a37a78adcf7a2d8.jpg

shot-20_07.05_22_31.03-0174.thumb.jpg.e170ae729c6f48d0dd6c67095527b45e.jpg

shot-20_07.05_22_38.58-0875.thumb.jpg.cf228a9c901355872859ccbf1532075e.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,661 posts
8,800 battles

I'm really tempted to pick up the California. Interesting ship. The few I have seen in game (playing against tier 9s), all actually did quite well. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,938 battles
Just now, Tigermaus said:

I'm really tempted to pick up the California. Interesting ship. The few I have seen in game (playing against tier 9s), all actually did quite well. 

I actually play T9 better than mid or top tier.  I think one of the big differences is the size of the T9 maps, the range of the California, and the concealment.  You have a wide choice of targets and can go dark if things get rough.  Not a game winner alone, but tends to make a very complementary addition to T9 groups.  Speed being the main downside, but many T9 matches are decided in the slow attrition phase.  And California can participate in that just like the big boys.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles

Finally saw one in Co-op; to use the current vernacular; is thicc girl.

Didn’t see how either the bot or the player did. Too distracted playing Agile.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,938 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Thick is sexy.

I've discovered perhaps its biggest asymmetric Achilles heal is SINOP.  Shoot AP...bounce.  Shoot HE..shatter.  Eat a salvo of sixteen inchers in the mouth (or [edited]).  Rinse...repeat.  Someone else posted this is one reason why Cali might fair better in T9 than in some top tier games.  If you're matched to a SINOP top tier...that often means YOU will be dealing with it.  If you're matched when bottom tier (i.e., in a T9 match), it will have to deal with the big T9 boys on your team, which reduces the chance you'll have to deal with it...allowing you to play your asymmetric advantages elsewhere.

I think Zoup probably says it best.  It's a FUN ship to play.  And in the variables of any Random battle, there is enough variance that its weaknesses are not as pronounced...and its positives can be accentuated.  Clan battles?  Ranked?  Probably not.  Albeit, I wouldn't be surprised if makes for a "not a lose a star" ship in good hands.  

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[GWG]
Members
6,958 posts
13,501 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Didn’t see how either the bot or the player did. Too distracted playing Agile.

I sunk one in co-op.  Charged nose-in with a Budyonny and slammed it with three torps.

• Boring 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,878 posts
4,240 battles

I just keep staring at the EXACTLY 149k damage, lol... 

No really, nice game! 

[CLUMP]
Members
825 posts
1,168 battles

The issue when you, are not in the top tier which is most of the time for a lot of people :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by LastRemnant

[XXX]
Members
525 posts
942 battles

Trouble is with the Florida announced which has the whole Slava/Champagne thing and the same amount of guns AND it's 27 knots...just feels like the old Cali was sent out so they could do a quick cashgrab on old July the 4th...

Sign in to follow this