You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Zeroed by CV

145 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles

Of all the CV related issues, the one that really thickles me is this one:

When a "competent" CV singles you out at match start and determines you must sink. 

I can bear with "normal" CV harassement, but then, there are times when you are "marked for death" as soon as the match starts and  and receive full undivided attention from the carrion vultures. At that moment your options are limited to die zeroed (as in zero effective contribution to the battle, aka zero-fun) or turn tail to the farthest edge of the map and also be zeroed for all practical purposes. 

Yesterday I had the "fortune" of being zeroed with all 3 classes, so I can vouch this is not only a DD plight. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe my nickname is offensive, maybe is karma, IDK. The fact remains I was zeroed in 15% of my matches, that's a high enough number for me to get salty and come here to make the kind of post I wouldn't normally do.

I don't blame the CV players. I also don't wish for the class to be absolutly removed. But the fact you could be sent back to port before the match really starts is really infuriating. 

• Cool 12
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,018 posts
10,005 battles

From a CV player's perspective your last sentence tells me exactly what your problem in DDs is.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,405 battles

Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield.  I have been there too and it can be a pain.  The best thing you can do it make it cost the CV as much time and as many planes as possible. 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
On 7/5/2020 at 9:22 AM, ArIskandir said:

When a "competent" CV singles you out at match start and determines you must sink. 

I can bear with "normal" CV harassement, but then, there are times when you are "marked for death" as soon as the match starts and  and receive full undivided attention from the carrion vultures. At that moment your options are limited to die zeroed (as in zero effective contribution to the battle, aka zero-fun) or turn tail to the farthest edge of the map and also be zeroed for all practical purposes. 

Yesterday I had the "fortune" of being zeroed with all 3 classes, so I can vouch this is not only a DD plight. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe my nickname is offensive, maybe is karma, IDK. The fact remains I was zeroed in 15% of my matches, that's a high enough number for me to get salty and come here to make the kind of post I wouldn't normally do.

I don't blame the CV players. I also don't wish for the class to be absolutly removed. But the fact you could be sent back to port before the match really starts is really infuriating. 

You mean like when a BB keeps firing at your cruiser without stoping.  You mean like secondary that keep hitting you.

It never stops. No matter what nerfs come its never enough. Just hate hate hate all the ficken time.  

No wonder why people are just not bother logging in or going to the forums when its a never ending fountain of hate.

It does not even matter if your right or wrong.  Year after year the same cv hate.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 8
  • Meh 5

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
2 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield.  I have been there too and it can be a pain.  The best thing you can do it make it cost the CV as much time and as many planes as possible. 

I kinda have the same perspective but in some situations (considering the map/deploy/ship combination) you get squashed without any meaningful retribution to the CV

• Cool 1

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,651 battles

I don't blame the CV players. I also don't wish for the class to be absolutly removed. But the fact you could be sent back to port before the match really starts is really infuriating. 

Just curious, if you had been "zeroed" by a cruiser or another DD or BB in 3 matches would you come here and rant?

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 5

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
10 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

From a CV player's perspective your last sentence tells me exactly what your problem in DDs is.

Dude, I was clear in the OP it was not a DD only thing. I had it happened in BBs and cruisers all the same. Then there are some maps and lineups were as a DD you are very limited on the places where you can operate to some effect, not hard to be focused in you go there.

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
729 posts
4,671 battles
5 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Just curious, if you had been "zeroed" by a cruiser or another DD or BB in 3 matches would you come here and rant?

Tbh all of those are easier to avoid than planes that zoom around at 180+ knots

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
2 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Well most certainly if that were the case, it would be because my mistake... Critical fail at angling, dodging torps, etc. Or magical RNG got your number up for a triple citadel at max range. I won't post about it because it would have been totally my fault.

Also, if any other ship has a hot crush on me, I have a very good chance of disengaging and repositioning, which isn't the case when a CV loves you.

• Cool 5

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles

How is that any different than when any player wants a certain other player dead?

V/S a CV, you can go hang out with the blob-o-doom, and wait until the CV gets bored and harasses someone else, or he runs out of planes.

V/S anything else, as soon as you,re spotted, you're radared, full of HE and dead. Or if you're in a BB, get suicide charged by a DD, eat a full spread of torpedoes and are dead, even if the DD is dead before the torps have arrived. Lastly as a cruiser, you just find out the hard way that yes, you are in fact made of citadel and every BB in range pulls the handle on the slot machine looking for it to come up cherries.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
1 minute ago, SgtBeltfed said:

How is that any different than when any player wants a certain other player dead?

The difference is in most cases you can disengage effectively  from surface units but not from planes.

• Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,047 battles

I mean I don't understand what's not fun about being that little duck in the shooter gallery?

Spreadsheet says it's fun and engaging

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[SALVO]
Members
4,487 posts
3,829 battles
1 minute ago, SilverPhatShips said:

I mean I don't understand what's not fun about being that little duck in the shooter gallery?

Spreadsheet says it's fun and engaging

Oh, yesterday my Gneis got detonated by an aerial torp. I got double the fun and engagement

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
20 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

No, because it doesn't happen that way. Another surface ship bests you, you got outplayed. A CV targets you to die at the start, that's just that.

Please stop this stupid idea that another type of surface ship can "unfairly" target me. It's just so dumb. They don't fly.

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
9 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Really? Are you really making this argument?

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles

I had something very frustrating occur in a ranked battle the other night. I was in an Asashio and it was a very close match all throughout, and with about 7 minutes left on the clock, I flipped the third cap in our favor which would secure victory as long as I lived and our CV lived. Opposing us was a North Carolina and the enemy CV. The NC was staying well away from the caps, as was the enemy CV - so all we had to do was wait out the points victory.

Then came the CV with full flights or Rocket Planes. I had two smoke charges left so I was able to evade them for about 3 minutes total, but then they ran out and I just got dunked on by the CV. I died and we lost - and i still can't see how I could have changed the outcome. My CV was miles away and running for his life, and I had no other teammates to hug for AA support. My CV was de-planed (and people say it never happens :Smile_sceptic: ) and waiting to get something in the air. Asashio AA is complete trash so there was zero threat to the enemy flights. Moral of the story; I had no chance of evading a CV wanting me dead. No chance at all. None.

I'm not the rabid, anti-CV type but I struggle to understand how people defend these types of situations. The good news is that WG is looking to possibly make some changes, at least they are in the process of testing them. Reducing the Asashio's air detection range by half does help make it more difficult for the enemy to strike - so long as I keep my AA turned off. That just brings up a new problem though, if I have AA shouldn't I want to use it? At any rate, the fact that WG is looking into changes gives me some hope that they will make some adjustments. 

• Cool 4

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The difference is in most cases you can disengage effectively  from surface units but not from planes.

You can not get too far from your team, not get found early on, and move up on a cap with support. Nothing a CV can do about that.

Or, you can try and sneak into a cap without support, get found by the red DD with support, and get beaten to death. Doesn't matter if there's a CV or not.

I played 13 games yesterday, won exactly two. In the 11 that I lost, the team held back, let the friendly DD die unsupported, and then balled up in the corner to get kicked to death. 10 games in a row, exactly the same thing, complete garbage.

In the two games I won, 1 game the other team was suffering from "leave the DD's to die" syndrome instead, the other both teams moved up and it was actually a good game.

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles
34 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

You mean like when a BB keeps firing at your cruiser without stoping.  You mean like secondary that keep hitting you.

It never stops. No matter what nerfs come its never enough. Just hate hate hate all the ficken time.  

No wonder why people are just not bother logging in or going to the forums when its a never ending fountain of hate.

It does not even matter if your right or wrong.  Year after year the same cv hate.

What's stupid about these comparisons you make is that you have to have taken some seriously dumb decisions to end up in that situation, or the enemy completely outplayed you.

Playing against all surface ship types, you can choose which engagements you want to go with.

Against CVs, you get no choice. If the CV decides you are the target, you can fight it all you want, but you will still get [edited].

• Cool 6
  • Meh 1

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,651 battles
8 minutes ago, legozer said:

Please stop this stupid idea that another type of surface ship can "unfairly" target me. It's just so dumb. They don't fly.

Wow , never said that at all, what I said was, when we get "zeroed" 3 times in a night by anything OTHER than a CV most of us don't feel the need to come to forums to gripe.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
358 posts
2,039 battles

CVs made me mostly quit the game.  I play DDs and every other class of ship I can deal with if I play well.  If a CV decides to go after me then I either hide in back and do nothing or die.

• Cool 2

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,670 battles

Oh yay, another anti-cv thread. We haven't had one of these in a while, have we?

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,651 battles
1 minute ago, Ranari said:

Oh yay, another anti-cv thread. We haven't had one of these in a while, have we?

Crazy huh?

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,050 posts
12,735 battles
4 minutes ago, Brohk said:

I had something very frustrating occur in a ranked battle the other night. I was in an Asashio and it was a very close match all throughout, and with about 7 minutes left on the clock, I flipped the third cap in our favor which would secure victory as long as I lived and our CV lived. Opposing us was a North Carolina and the enemy CV. The NC was staying well away from the caps, as was the enemy CV - so all we had to do was wait out the points victory.

Then came the CV with full flights or Rocket Planes. I had two smoke charges left so I was able to evade them for about 3 minutes total, but then they ran out and I just got dunked on by the CV. I died and we lost - and i still can't see how I could have changed the outcome. My CV was miles away and running for his life, and I had no other teammates to hug for AA support. My CV was de-planed (and people say it never happens :Smile_sceptic: ) and waiting to get something in the air. Asashio AA is complete trash so there was zero threat to the enemy flights. Moral of the story; I had no chance of evading a CV wanting me dead. No chance at all. None.

I'm not the rabid, anti-CV type but I struggle to understand how people defend these types of situations. The good news is that WG is looking to possibly make some changes, at least they are in the process of testing them. Reducing the Asashio's air detection range by half does help make it more difficult for the enemy to strike - so long as I keep my AA turned off. That just brings up a new problem though, if I have AA shouldn't I want to use it? At any rate, the fact that WG is looking into changes gives me some hope that they will make some adjustments. 

Your team got outplayed, and it's somehow unfair that you can't dig them out of whatever hole they dug themselves into?

Members
339 posts
16,304 battles
8 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Playing against all surface ship types, you can choose which engagements you want to go with.

Unless the enemy has greater speed. Or the enemy has greater concealment. Or the enemy has greater range...

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

At that moment your options are limited to die zeroed (as in zero effective contribution to the battle, aka zero-fun) or turn tail to the farthest edge of the map and also be zeroed for all practical purposes. 

No, your options are the same as when any other ship focuses the hell out of you: you get to make it as costly to them as possible. For enemy surface ships, that usually means angling and dodging. For planes, it means putting AA ships and distance between the CV and you. Make them eat the flak or waste time flying around it.

If you do your job well, the CV spends more time/planes focusing you than they would otherwise. The entire rest of your team is free to hammer theirs while the enemy CV is effectively out of the battle.

Edited by Telastyn
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
8,476 battles
Just now, SgtBeltfed said:

Your team got outplayed

Defend that statement.

I outplayed them by flipping the caps to win in spite of their lead. In any other scenario without a CV, we win unless I make an error. Against a CV, in the ship I am in, the loss was inevitable. Ineffective AA on an Asashio isn't being outplayed, but you knew that before you responded.

• Cool 4